Spring Training thread

southsider2k5

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Thanks for posting, I just posted what Levine stated earlier today.

Crochet may turn out to be limited to bullpen work long term due to health / arm limitations, but I hope he is given at least a shot to start next season if health permits. 5-6 innings per start is much more valuable than 2-3 relief innings per week long term.

Tony’s focus is to “win today”, but it must be balanced by FO considerations for today and the future, especially for top prospects with high ceilings.

Also “more” doesn't exclude multi-inning appearances. If Crochet pitches a full season in the bullpen healthy and hits 80 + innings this season, he can still convert to a starter for a good portion of 2022.

It’s much easier and cheaper to replace Crotchet in the bullpen than to sign a starter with equivalent ability.

Yeah, if Crochet is dominating in high leverage late inning situations (situations that will generally restrict him to 1 inning max), there’s no way they send him down during a pennant race to prepare for next season.  

That only happens if they realize they might need him in a starting role this season and want to quickly stretch him out as efficiently as possible in AAA.  Not sure what that situation looks like, but they aren’t sacrificing this year for next year.  Whether that’s smart or not, it’s the plan.  LaRussa didn’t agree to win a championship with a team who is refusing to let him use his best players wherever he can fit them.  

I was worried they’d be able to stretch out Kopech in relief more than Crochet, and that looks to be the case.  He will be too good not to pitch in some of the toughest spots of the game.

I get it, and it’s exciting.  But at the same time, not only might it not be best for the organization, it would suck to limit his career not knowing if he could have been something much better.

I expect Kopech permanently in the rotation at some point this season. 

3 hours ago, Sambuca said:

Yeah, if Crochet is dominating in high leverage late inning situations (situations that will generally restrict him to 1 inning max), there’s no way they send him down during a pennant race to prepare for next season.  

That only happens if they realize they might need him in a starting role this season and want to quickly stretch him out as efficiently as possible in AAA.  Not sure what that situation looks like, but they aren’t sacrificing this year for next year.  Whether that’s smart or not, it’s the plan.  LaRussa didn’t agree to win a championship with a team who is refusing to let him use his best players wherever he can fit them.  

I was worried they’d be able to stretch out Kopech in relief more than Crochet, and that looks to be the case.  He will be too good not to pitch in some of the toughest spots of the game.

I get it, and it’s exciting.  But at the same time, not only might it not be best for the organization, it would suck to limit his career not knowing if he could have been something much better.

I expect Kopech permanently in the rotation at some point this season. 

This is a fair assessment, and one likely to Passat least on the Crochet end. That said Hahn needs to make these decisions, whether he does or allowed to do so is another story.

Injury or poor performance with the starting rotation may change plans to the benefit of Kopech and Crochet. There’s not a lot of depth there, whereas the bullpen is solid on its own, and it’s easier to pick up another bullpen piece if necessary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This is a fair assessment, and one likely to Passat least on the Crochet end. That said Hahn needs to make these decisions, whether he does or allowed to do so is another story.

Injury or poor performance with the starting rotation may change plans to the benefit of Kopech and Crochet. There’s not a lot of depth there, whereas the bullpen is solid on its own, and it’s easier to pick up another bullpen piece if necessary.

I think its highly unlikely that Crochet will be converted to starter at any time during this season.

7 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I don’t see any way that happens.  He’s too valuable as the secret weapon

,,and I question whether he's physically prepared for that transformation.  If they decide to do it, I think it would take a full offseason and possibly at least a year in the minors.  He doesn't have a strong history of a SP. 

Edited by Rounding_Third

59 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

,,and I question whether he's physically prepared for that transformation.  If they decide to do it, I think it would take a full offseason and possibly at least a year in the minors.  He doesn't have a strong history of a SP. 

And they're never going to send him to the minors for a full season if he's a tolerable reliever. 

Carson Fulmer once again available.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/03/pirates-acquire-duane-underwood-designate-carson-fulmer.html

The Pirates announced the acquisition of reliever Duane Underwood Jr. from the Cubs. First base prospect Shendrik Apostel will go to Chicago in return. To create 40-man roster space, Pittsburgh designated right-hander Carson Fulmer for assignment.

Wonder where his next stop is this Spring.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:15 AM, chitownsportsfan said:

I'll stop posting because honestly I just don't think enough people here played team sports enough or at a high enough level to get it.  There is totally an element of "STFU and be humble" for young cocky players at any level above high school.  Including my summer league travel teams and even my shitty DIII squads.

I don't want to pile on so I'll be brief . The maturity level and the belief in your own abilities is much higher in the pros. At the pro level not many are threatened by new guys because you get paid for being good and if you aren't good and someone is better you get cut. It's the difference between boys and men and you can't equate your experiences as a teen or in your early 20's to guys who play sports for a living . If you can't cut it as a pro you have no one to blame but yourself and you don't have guys resenting you because you might take a buddy's spot on the team or you think you're God's gift. There are cocky a-holes and and then there are guys who are just confident and secure in their abilities because they work as hard as they can on it. Any sport at the highest level will humble you soon enough if you don't do what's required or don't have the talent.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't want to pile on so I'll be brief . The maturity level and the belief in your own abilities is much higher in the pros. At the pro level not many are threatened by new guys because you get paid for being good and if you aren't good and someone is better you get cut. It's the difference between boys and men and you can't equate your experiences as a teen or in your early 20's to guys who play sports for a living . If you can't cut it as a pro you have no one to blame but yourself and you don't have guys resenting you because you might take a buddy's spot on the team or you think you're God's gift. There are cocky a-holes and and then there are guys who are just confident and secure in their abilities because they work as hard as they can on it. Any sport at the highest level will humble you soon enough if you don't do what's required or don't have the talent.

Trouble sleeping, brother?

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We literally saw a counter example to your post with our own eyes when Adam "he's going to leadoff and play CF everyday" Eaton rubbed the vets in the room the wrong way.  Frazier still can't stand him. 

And I DGAF about "piling on" I post here from my experiences in life and baseball.  Don't worry about hurting my feelings.  I will always post what I feel is true and other are free to disagree and argue, that's the beauty of the forum.

I haven't really been posting much, there's just not a lot to say until the season starts so when I do post it's going to be stuff like this.  Spring training stats are completely meaningless and so are "position battles".  We'll know more two games into the regular season about this Sox roster and club then 20 something exhibition games told us.

21 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

We literally saw a counter example to your post with our own eyes when Adam "he's going to leadoff and play CF everyday" Eaton rubbed the vets in the room the wrong way.  Frazier still can't stand him. 

And I DGAF about "piling on" I post here from my experiences in life and baseball.  Don't worry about hurting my feelings.  I will always post what I feel is true and other are free to disagree and argue, that's the beauty of the forum.

I haven't really been posting much, there's just not a lot to say until the season starts so when I do post it's going to be stuff like this.  Spring training stats are completely meaningless and so are "position battles".  We'll know more two games into the regular season about this Sox roster and club then 20 something exhibition games told us.

I don't know if it's a counter example. Everyone just doesn't like everybody else. People are going to clash  whether it's their actions or words that lead to those confrontations. AJ Pierzynski was, according to most sources ,a Grade A asshole. Some people just have a gift for getting under people's skin.

22 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

One guy called a 6 year old the leader of their clubhouse.

The other guy has a lot of confidence in himself.

Why you think those two things are at all equal is truly baffling. One disrespects veteran leaders, the other does not.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

I don't even get why the team would be mad about that.  Basically Saying "I want to be one of the greats and eventually in the hall of fame for getting 3k hits" in no way makes anyone look bad.  If Eloy came out and said "I think I will hit +500 home runs by the time I'm through" I dont think anyone would have a problem with that either.