Only JR knew of new TLR DUI upon interview and hire

southsider2k5

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

It’s disappointing to say the least. Clearly JR hired his guy to fix a wrong from 30+ years ago and Hahn had no say in it. 

This is clearly the case and why some fans were upset about the process. This was an important decision and was done in the wrong way. Let's hope it works out.

Ofcourse JR wouldn't share it with his senior staff. He knew from the start they would resist TLR just on the merits even apart from the DUI so if they learned about it, RH or KW would likely leak to the press in order to create a PR storm that would have torpedoed the hiring. Obviously, JR did not want to get out maneuvered so he no doubt had to keep it to himself.

Pretty sad and pathetic.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Ofcourse JR wouldn't share it with his senior staff. He knew from the start they would resist TLR just on the merits even apart from the DUI so if they learned about it, RH or KW would likely leak to the press in order to create a PR storm that would have torpedoed the hiring. Obviously, JR did not want to get out maneuvered so he no doubt had to keep it to himself.

Pretty sad and pathetic.

So Jerry is afraid of his own people? That's interesting. Most owners in that situation would just fire the employees instead of paying them.  I'm not certain if that means JR is really smart or really dumb. 

Who cares?  What is done is done. 

I suppose some people will whine about this after every Sox loss, saying "I told you so" ad nauseum. 

I am not the only Sox fan who thinks the hiring of TLR was a good thing, especially if the main alternative was hiring AJ Hinch who oversaw a cheating team that he said he couldn't do anything about.  That's a baseball problem of significant magnitude. TLR screwed up, for sure, but it didn't have anything to do with baseball or his ability to manage. 

TLR is a great manager.  He's on par with any manager in the game today.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

I'm just watching the orchestrated publicity campaign that's getting started. I'm certain they have consulted top firms and devised this strategy. 

:jerry

The orchestrated campaign started last July, when Reinsdorf already determined Crony La Russa would manage next season because no responsible organization would give him a job after another DUI arrest, or the fact that he is over a decade removed from the job.

This despite the fact Hahn gave Renteria an extension and would lead the White Sox to their best record in decades. Reinsdorf's paid for media hacks Stone and Guillen trashed Renteria the entire season.

Cell Jerry Cell

Just now, VAfan said:

Who cares?  What is done is done. 

I suppose some people will whine about this after every Sox loss, saying "I told you so" ad nauseum. 

I am not the only Sox fan who thinks the hiring of TLR was a good thing, especially if the main alternative was hiring AJ Hinch who oversaw a cheating team that he said he couldn't do anything about.  That's a baseball problem of significant magnitude. TLR screwed up, for sure, but it didn't have anything to do with baseball or his ability to manage. 

TLR is a great manager.  He's on par with any manager in the game today.  

So you are doing exactly what you are complaining about as a way of telling other people not to do it.  But we appreciate the lecture on how Tony is going to be great because he used to be great as a form of I told you so.

You might as well get used to it.  Jerry put this in place with zero input from anyone else.  It is his fault this is happening, even when it was obvious it was going to happen.  The Sox can write all of the propaganda around it they like, some people appear willing to eat it up by the plateful.  But it doesn't invalidate the concerns that people have, no matter how much you lecture critics of the hire.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The orchestrated campaign started last July, when Reinsdorf already determined Crony La Russa would manage next season because no responsible organization would give him a job after another DUI arrest, or the fact that he is over a decade removed from the job.

This despite the fact Hahn gave Renteria an extension and would lead the White Sox to their best record in decades. Reinsdorf's paid for media hacks Stone and Guillen trashed Renteria the entire season.

Cell Jerry Cell

The Angels knew of the arrest, TLR offered to quit,  and they kept him on. Fortunately most teams aren't responsible,  so there would have been jobs. 

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The Angels knew of the arrest, TLR offered to quit,  and they kept him on. Fortunately most teams aren't responsible,  so there would have been jobs. 

It's one thing to keep someone not in a public role and no management responsibilities in a current role, at least until the shit hits the fan when things become public. It's another to toss shit into your own fan (unfortunately, blowing onto us Sox fans). No other MLB team would ever consider even interviewing Tony La Russa for a managerial job, even without the most recent DUI.

MLB, behind the other sports leagues in terms of competency and PR, is starting to emerge from the dark ages. Teams are rightfully becoming more responsive as society evolves. The Mets dumped their GM before the next morning once news came out regarding his disgusting texts. The Sox did the opposite with the La Russa hire.

The Bulls have begun the hard work of rebuilding the franchise after decades of crony mismanagement. Looking forward to the same process occurring on 35th and Shields.

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

I'm just watching the orchestrated publicity campaign that's getting started. I'm certain they have consulted top firms and devised this strategy. 

:jerry

I hope you're living up to your description and being sarcastic.  The thought of Jerry trying to be tactful is too much to contemplate.

1 minute ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I hope you're living up to your description and being sarcastic.  The thought of Jerry trying to be tactful is too much to contemplate.

I believe the team has a strong marketing department and probably hired outside PR consultants to mitigate the fallout and sell tickets. I never underestimate profit motive. 

59 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I believe the team has a strong marketing department and probably hired outside PR consultants to mitigate the fallout and sell tickets. I never underestimate profit motive. 

JR strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't think the expense of an external consultant is worth the potential reward. Especially when they're "tapped out"

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

JR strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't think the expense of an external consultant is worth the potential reward. Especially when they're "tapped out"

Quite possible they are handling this in house.