TLR publicity train

Texsox

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/02/17/tony-la-russa-chicago-white-sox-manager-spring-training/6763758002/

Pujols is a fan. 

I'm assuming this is another in a series of PR opportunities for the team and Tony.  I'm guessing it will be at a fever pitch by the time players report. 

16 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

If anything I have a higher view of TLR after that interview. He was 100% honest with both organizations about the DUI, it was Jerry who didn't tell anyone. TA is open to him moving forward. It is on TLR to prove everyone wrong on and he is aware that it's all on him.

I have less of an issue with Tony and more of an issue with Jerry.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

If anything I have a higher view of TLR after that interview. He was 100% honest with both organizations about the DUI, it was Jerry who didn't tell anyone. TA is open to him moving forward. It is on TLR to prove everyone wrong on and he is aware that it's all on him.

I do to,  although I was near rock bottom so it doesn't take too much.  Which means the PR campaign is starting to work. 

They just need us to sip the koolaid. 

I'm way more cynical than you guys. I don't believe anyone with a profit motive. For all I know over drinks and cigars.  . .

"Jerry, we all agree he's the guy, but this is the kind of move that if it backfires,  it would destroy our careers. "

"It's all on me. We'll tell everyone I was the only one that knew. I'm the owner,  it won't hurt my career." Lol and back slaps. 

It's all a giant orchestrated PR game they are  playing which has made them millionaires. 

11 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm way more cynical than you guys. I don't believe anyone with a profit motive. For all I know over drinks and cigars.  . .

"Jerry, we all agree he's the guy, but this is the kind of move that if it backfires,  it would destroy our careers. "

"It's all on me. We'll tell everyone I was the only one that knew. I'm the owner,  it won't hurt my career." Lol and back slaps. 

It's all a giant orchestrated PR game they are  playing which has made them millionaires. 

Rick Hahn's initial press conference after the hire makes a LOT more sense that he was blindsided by this hire, than if he was a part of this process from day one.  He was more standoff-ish and very intentionally separating himself from the process in his initial talk.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Agree. Hopefully some media person will ask Tony how he completed his 20 hours of community service.  

• Thanks 2

The quote below from the Nightingale article is EXACTLY what makes me nervous about TLR and what he'll do to the clubhouse - 

“He saw the game the way it was going and didn’t like it. He told me, 'I really don’t have the right to complain if I don’t do something about it.’ So now he’s in position to do something about it.’’

What part of where the game is going is it that he doesn't like, people having fun while playing the game? This reeks of enforcing "unwritten rules of baseball" mentality and I want no part of that.

I regret reading that article - today is supposed to be only good news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

The quote below from the Nightingale article is EXACTLY what makes me nervous about TLR and what he'll do to the clubhouse - 

“He saw the game the way it was going and didn’t like it. He told me, 'I really don’t have the right to complain if I don’t do something about it.’ So now he’s in position to do something about it.’’

What part of where the game is going is it that he doesn't like, people having fun while playing the game? This reeks of enforcing "unwritten rules of baseball" mentality and I want no part of that.

I regret reading that article - today is supposed to be only good news.

^ For the record, THIS is exactly what I was referring to when I was talking about Boomer mentality.  The game is changing, and he can't stand it, so he wants to drag it back to the last century.  Pass.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

^ For the record, THIS is exactly what I was referring to when I was talking about Boomer mentality.  The game is changing, and he can't stand it, so he wants to drag it back to the last century.  Pass.

Exactly. Has anyone asked him what he thinks about 7 inning games and runners on 2nd in extra innings?  I'm guessing he's not a fan. I'm certain the team's PR folks have told him to stay clear of those topics. 

The fact that Reinsdorf and La Russa didn't share yet another of La Russa's DUI arrest with Williams and Hahn makes the entire episode even more pathetic.

The bottom line is Reinsdorf stated (video linked below) last Winter Tony La Russa has no business returning to managing, in part because he is too God damn old to relate to baseball players. 

"Managing, it just takes an awful lot out of you. There's nothing else for him to accomplish. You know, he's won three World Series, and uh, he's in the Hall of Fame. And so, there's no reason for him to go back to managing,  and have to try to deal with people 22 years old when you're 75 years old." - Jerry Reinsdorf on Tony LaRussa, February 2020

I am so done with reading threads that trash JR and TLaR  and aggrandize Rick Hahn. I am so this is the last one I will read.

Look, if Hahn had a problem with the hiring of TLaR he could have said so or quit. He didn't do either.
ST is here. Move on for chrisesakes. 

• Love 1
  • Fire 2

Hahn is in the best position possible. If they win, it's his players. If they don't, it's because of the manager he wasn't involved in hiring. Why would he leave until this plays out? JR and TLR took this on their shoulders. Players won't be responsible,  the front office won't be responsible,  it's all on the octogenarians. 

5 minutes ago, tray said:

I am so done with reading threads that trash JR and TLaR  and aggrandize Rick Hahn. I am so this is the last one I will read.

Look, if Hahn had a problem with the hiring of TLaR he could have said so or quit. He didn't do either.

Ditto.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, tray said:

Well, he can't publicly say he has a problem with it unless he is going to quit, but not quitting doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have a problem with it, it's not like he can just go get an equal or better GM job.

If JR didn't think KW and Hahn might have a problem with it, he'd have told them.

13 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Well, he can't publicly say he has a problem with it unless he is going to quit, but not quitting doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have a problem with it, it's not like he can just go get an equal or better GM job.

If JR didn't think KW and Hahn might have a problem with it, he'd have told them.

Here's what doesn't make sense to me. All this talk that JR is afraid of his senior executives. Or is afraid of confrontation. I'm not fully buying it. 

It would be easier for me to believe he called them into his office and said TLR is our new manager and if you don't like it,  there's the door. He's old and the owner. He doesn't care about the fans,  his players,  or DUI victims,  but he does care about Kenny and Hahn? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Hahn is in the best position possible. If they win, it's his players. If they don't, it's because of the manager he wasn't involved in hiring. Why would he leave until this plays out? JR and TLR took this on their shoulders. Players won't be responsible,  the front office won't be responsible,  it's all on the octogenarians. 

I also think Hahn is in a good position for the future. He led the rebuild and it has gone well up to now. I'll bet a lot of teams would hire him 

if he decided he couldn't take the JR nonsense any more.

• Like 1