TLR publicity train

Texsox

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Ya'll have lost it.  I'd prefer he spent that time coaching the players than speaking to media, personally.  If he was in the cage or bullpen discussing things with guys, so be it.

If he has a media obilgation on day 1 of spring training, he should make it on time. He's the manager, it isn't going to change, but Tony is an ass who will eventually b**** about the media, yet he treats them this way. In the Celebrity Death thread I posted a tweet from an older writer who was covering HS sports in Oakland back when Tony was managing the A's. This guy got bumped up to cover the A's one series against the White Sox. The Sox beat the A's and Eck in the 9th. The headline, which the writer has no part of said Eck blew a save. He didn't. The story had it right, the headline had it wrong. Tony went after this guy the next day. The tribute was to Pedro Gomez who was this guy's competition who told Tony to lay off the guy, quit trying to embarrass him, he knew damn well the guy wasn't responsible for the headline. If you treat people like shit, don't be expected to be put on a throne by he same people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If he has a media obilgation on day 1 of spring training, he should make it on time. He's the manager, it isn't going to change, but Tony is an ass who will eventually b**** about the media, yet he treats them this way. In the Celebrity Death thread I posted a tweet from an older writer who was covering HS sports in Oakland back when Tony was managing the A's. This guy got bumped up to cover the A's one series against the White Sox. The Sox beat the A's and Eck in the 9th. The headline, which the writer has no part of said Eck blew a save. He didn't. The story had it right, the headline had it wrong. Tony went after this guy the next day. The tribute was to Pedro Gomez who was this guy's competition who told Tony to lay off the guy, quit trying to embarrass him, he knew damn well the guy wasn't responsible for the headline. If you treat people like shit, don't be expected to be put on a throne by he same people.

During his first turn with the Sox, Tony was not a popular guy. That didn't make him a bad manager,; he just wasn't all that popular. Fans didn't like the way the firing was handled, but I didn't hear too many people call for his return. Maybe things will turn out this time around, but I don't expect a love-fest between LaRussa and the fans. Maybe not a love fest with anyone else either. If the team wins, it won't matter. If the team doesn't win, that will be a different story.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

^ For the record, THIS is exactly what I was referring to when I was talking about Boomer mentality.  The game is changing, and he can't stand it, so he wants to drag it back to the last century.  Pass.

The guy changed the game while managing.  He is not a blathering idiot that is spouting off nonsense.  If some other manager said this we would all be anxious of what they think.  

You can hate him for a myriad of reasons but he knows what he is doing.

In regard to Hahn walking away......ya that is easy to say.  How has it gone for someone like Dan Evans once he left.  Hahn has better job security than just about any GM in baseball.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The guy changed the game while managing.  He is not a blathering idiot that is spouting off nonsense.  If some other manager said this we would all be anxious of what they think.  

In regard to Hahn walking away......ya that is easy to say.  How has it gone for someone like Dan Evans once he left.  Hahn has better job security than just about any GM in baseball.

He changed the game decades ago.  The game has changed again since then.  Repeatedly.  But he wants to go back to the good ol days.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

He changed the game decades ago.  The game has changed again since then.  Repeatedly.  But he wants to go back to the good ol days.

He won the world series 10 years ago you act like he has not managed a game since 1957

He has a good staff around him and he has a history of success.  You can hate him all you want but to act like the guy doesn't know baseball is asinine.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

He won the world series 10 years ago you act like he has not managed a game since 1957

He has a good staff around him and he has a history of success.  You can hate him all you want but to act like the guy doesn't know baseball is asinine.

I am sick of pretending what he did decades ago and refuses to let go of is somehow clearance for him today.

People who think he is some sort of genius,  will be bitching about either his line ups, his bullpen usage, his strategy by the end of the first series this season. He's a better in game manager than Rickey, but remember, Roland Hemond also almost fired him. It's great they can use the failed Hawk as GM experiment to cover up, Tony wasn't this baseball God in the dugout. What made him a HOFer baseball person where the HOFer baseball people who played for him. That's legit. 

One odd thing, is Tony seemed worried he would have his HOF status taken away if he returned to the dugout, but doesn't even think it could possibly be taken away if he takes out a family driving his SUV hammered.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Harry: He knew what he was doing. It remains to be seen if he knows what he is doing. It has been 10 years since he managed. We hope he still has it. 

• Like 1

Any plans on transitioning Yasmani Grandal to Left Field this season?

Anyone around the last time Tony was here can assure you he didn’t “know what he was doing” while with the White Sox. Jerry himself last Winter stated Tony has no reason to return to managing, and attempt to lead young players as a 75 year old (now 76).

There have only been three managers since with a lower White Sox winning percentage than La Russia’s mediocre .506 record (Fergosi, Ventura, and Renteria, the latter tasked with a “tanking team”).

For those not old enough to have booed La Russa in person:

LARUSSA FAILED TO FACE REALITY

So ten years ago is not relative but 33 years ago is?  The guy that is a clueless moron moved on from a team the was one of the most successful in White Sox history (1983) and had a hall of fame career winning world series and numerous pennants with two different franchises.

Of the White Sox A's and Cardinals only the White Sox have won a world series after he left so while there has beena level of success with both franchises the success was greater with LaRussa. 

AJ Hinch was a failure in AZ and his replacement in Houston took a team that lost their two aces under Hinch to the ALCS but he was going to come in and lead the White Sox to greatness without a doubt.

He may be a epic failure, time will tell but they guy is not a moron.   You may also find him despicable but to think he does not know baseball is idiotic.

56 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Of the White Sox A's and Cardinals only the White Sox have won a world series after he left so while there has beena level of success with both franchises the success was greater with LaRussa.

One NL pennant, 4 division titles, 6 playoff births since he retired for St. Louis. 

11 playoff appearances, 7 division titles for the As, just under a 50% success rate at making it.

• Thanks 1

What LaRussa has done in the past has no credence. Neither does his inclusion to the Hall of Fame. This is the real question: Is he the right man to manage this club in its current stage of development? Since his hiring, I haven't heard this question answered. I've heard how JR had regrets over allowing Hawk to fire him. And I have heard so many other things. Can anyone tell me why he is the right man for the job at the present time? Or really why he isn't?

26 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Am I the only one that noticed the reference to "CP time"?  (As in "colored people" time)?  Jesus Christ.  Trying to take the heat off of TLR by putting his own foot is his mouth?

I don't care fr Herb, but he's black so who cares. I dont. 

Did any journalist ask LaRussa about his driving analogy? 

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I have seen nobody worshipping him.  Not everybody his hellbent on telling everyone he is the worst person alive. 

Look, at the end of the fucking day if he's better than rick (low bar, sure) in game I won't mind.  If it blows up in their face and the team is 40-60 in July and he goes and gets another DUI, yea, fuck, I'll be pissed.  There is downside here.  But his track record is decent.  He def knows people.  I don't buy that he can't get along with the clubhouse because he's older; ya can't be TLR and not have people skills.  Now can he apply them in 2021?  Fuck if I know.