2021 Soccer Thread

Heads22

If they finish the game the way they played this half - I think you have to make a coaching change.  This team is horrendous looking and playing WELL below its talent level.  Like talk about coming out flat and just getting out played...this has been the case in 3 straight US games.  A ton of unforced errors on the offensive side of the ball and just all around sloppy play.  They are crippled without a midfielder like Bradley, etc who can control the field and help make plays at the front.  And I never really liked Bradley.  Or they need an Altidore type to take pressure of Christian.  

14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If they finish the game the way they played this half - I think you have to make a coaching change.  This team is horrendous looking and playing WELL below its talent level.  Like talk about coming out flat and just getting out played...this has been the case in 3 straight US games.  A ton of unforced errors on the offensive side of the ball and just all around sloppy play.  They are crippled without a midfielder like Bradley, etc who can control the field and help make plays at the front.  And I never really liked Bradley.  Or they need an Altidore type to take pressure of Christian.  

Berhalter is an absolute joke who has zero business ever being considered for the job.  Yay nepotism

14 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Berhalter is an absolute joke who has zero business ever being considered for the job.  Yay nepotism

If it is any solice -they have played the best 5-10 minutes of offense to start the 2nd half that I've seen in the past 3 games.  Not that it says much.  

45 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If it is any solice -they have played the best 5-10 minutes of offense to start the 2nd half that I've seen in the past 3 games.  Not that it says much.  

Good second half but that was an unfathomably bad game plan and formation for the first half.  We have good players now, put them in a position to succeed.

The US plays an antiquated style of soccer. 

While the rest of the world tries to keep the ball on the ground and use the passing game, the US is launching long balls that rarely meet their targets. Honestly, the US looks like the EPL, circa 2005 or so.

Today, what with the importation of coaches from elsewhere, even the English dont play the long ball any more. Even they try to put the ball on the ground, and possess it.

That said, once the game was tied, the US started to possess more, and thus, they had more control over the game. (To the uninitiated, this is akin to the Blackhawks having puck possession to control the game, back during their dynasty.)

For me, the US is either the 2nd or 3rd most talented side in CONCACAF. If they can keep the ball a bit more, they'll roll to qualification, while we all laugh. If they keep trying the stoopud long ball over and over, they might not qualify.

We'll have to see. 

Huge Champions League upset.

Young Boys of Bern, Switzerland, who won their way to the group stage from the 2nd qualifying round, just beat Man U.

Man U got a red card in the 35' while leading 1-0, and Young Boys get 2 goals with their man advantage, including one in the last minute of extra time.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Given the stakes, I'd have to say the 2002 WC game still rates as the finest hour.

US still only 3 points ahead of 4th place Panama, so I don't think it will be a trap game.

Enjoy this cycle of WC qualifying because it will be the last interesting one. Hosting in 2026 means auto qualification and the expanded tournament with 6 spots for CONCACAF means pretty close to auto qualification every time.

6 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Given the stakes, I'd have to say the 2002 WC game still rates as the finest hour.

US still only 3 points ahead of 4th place Panama, so I don't think it will be a trap game.

Enjoy this cycle of WC qualifying because it will be the last interesting one. Hosting in 2026 means auto qualification and the expanded tournament with 6 spots for CONCACAF means pretty close to auto qualification every time.

Yeah, I'd thought about the 2002 2-0 win v Mexico as well. But in that game, the US were fortunate that the ref missed John O'Brien's handball in the box. By contrast, last night was a 90 minute beat down of our biggest rival. We left the pitch knowing that we were the better side, even with referee numbskullery.

I hope youre right about The Office being a trap game. I still have nightmares from last cycles failures.

9 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Ok, two questions for the group:

1. Was last night's match our finest hour as a national team?

2. Is away to Jamaica at The Office a "trap game?"

No McKinnie or Robinson from cards might make it tougher than expected. I don't think they'll lose, but I wouldn't be surprised if they drew without those 2 and Pulisic being on a minutes count. 

They played great yesterday though and even had to deal with bullshit from the ref. The fact that Robinson got the 2nd yellow on a dive but Mexico didn't get a red for trying to gouge someone's eyes out was ridiculous.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

What a pathetic effort by the US today. Had absolutely no clue what they were doing against Canada.

Looks like Canada is starting to eclipse us in soccer. Pretty sad. 

They're playing really well right now and will probably qualify easily for the WC. 

Edited by chw42

51 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Looks like Canada is starting to eclipse us in soccer. Pretty sad. 

They're playing really well right now and will probably qualify easily for the WC. 

Canada is 9 points clear of 5th place Costa Rica with 4 matches to go. If they beat El Slavador Wednesday and Costa Rica loses or draws against Jamaica, OR if Canada ties and Costa Rica loses, Canada clinches at least 4th place, which is a playoff with what is certain to be New Zealand.

So yeah, they're gonna get in.