Cubs 2021

35thstreetswarm

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I don't have a ton of die hard Cub fans in my circle, but the few I do have all said they looked at this year as a rebuilding year and realize 2021 isn't going to result in a World Series, so start the process. Now I know a ton of people won't embrace that idea and want to see Rizzo-Bryant-Javy-Contreras all stay forever but I do think if they fall in the standings a bit and aren't in first place by July 31, they can get away with trading a few core pieces and not get totally killed by the fanbase. We'll see.

White Flag is STILL reviled to this day, and we are almost 30 years on now.  The crazy thing is that this is from a fan base which is WAY less optimistic than the Cubs one.

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

White Flag is STILL reviled to this day, and we are almost 30 years on now.  The crazy thing is that this is from a fan base which is WAY less optimistic than the Cubs one.

I think baseball, the media and the fan base is in a MUCH different place than they were in 1997. Rebuilding or "being bad on purpose" is way more accepted today then it was back then. Additionally, the idea of them selling was talked about for almost this entire offseason. Lastly, the media landscape is so much different with the internet, with so many voices out there, opinions can be formed in a much different way. Even in 1997, if a few beat reporters and columnists killed the move...that basically shaped the entire narrative. It's not the same in 2021. I also think you have much smarter people in the media to give a more nuanced opinion. 

Just now, Tony said:

I think baseball, the media and the fan base is in a MUCH different place than they were in 1997. Rebuilding or "being bad on purpose" is way more accepted today then it was back then. Additionally, the idea of them selling was talked about for almost this entire offseason. Lastly, the media landscape is so much different with the internet, with so many voices out there, opinions can be formed in a much different way. Even in 1997, if a few beat reporters and columnists killed the move...that basically shaped the entire narrative. It's not the same in 2021. I also think you have much smarter people in the media to give a more nuanced opinion. 

Sure, but doing it when you are in first place (or very close to it) is way different than doing it when you already suck.

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

I do believe that for a long period of time a LOT of Sox fans merely parroted whatever Jay Mariotti spewed forth in the Sun Times, and his hatred of Reinsdorf still is drilled into people's heads to this date.  And of course Mariotti was exposed for what he is more than once thereafter.

22 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

I do believe that for a long period of time a LOT of Sox fans merely parroted whatever Jay Mariotti spewed forth in the Sun Times, and his hatred of Reinsdorf still is drilled into people's heads to this date.  And of course Mariotti was exposed for what he is more than once thereafter.

I don't believe that Mariotti had the power the organization thought. For the most part, he was never liked. I never felt he drilled anything into my head. For the first 30 years of divisional play, the Sox had three division titles and no WS appearances. The late Nineties was a bad time to be a Sox fan, and it had nothing to with Mariotti. Fan alienation was real, very real. 

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

I don't believe that Mariotti had the power the organization thought. For the most part, he was never liked. I never felt he drilled anything into my head. For the first 30 years of divisional play, the Sox had three division titles and no WS appearances. The late Nineties was a bad time to be a Sox fan, and it had nothing to with Mariotti. Fan alienation was real, very real. 

I think my favorite Jay story was the time he threatened to quit for the umpteenth time, and finally the Sun Times had enough of him and accepted his resignation.

28 minutes ago, mqr said:

Cubs city connect look much like the neighborhood they represent. 

Cold and corporate

Outside of the Chicago Y, it's just so painfully boring.

It's as if someone saw the Mariners and was like "that looks good, connect it to Chicago somehow."

35 minutes ago, mqr said:

Cubs city connect look much like the neighborhood they represent. 

Cold and corporate

Yeah, they're definitely...blue?  After a dalliance with interesting (Marlins, Sox) it looks like the City Connect project has made a swift return to boring. And who has real affinity for "Wrigleyville"?  It's a stretch to call it a neighborhood.  Nobody "reps" Wrigleyville.  It's like the Bears wearing a jersey that says "Museum Campus."

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Outside of the Chicago Y, it's just so painfully boring.

It's as if someone saw the Mariners and was like "that looks good, connect it to Chicago somehow."

Yeah, if you go towards Metro and Gman it still has a bit of character, but until then in is creepily sterile.  

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I wonder where Bryant will end up. Easy to say Boston, NY, etc but I wonder if he'll want to go out west, but who there makes sense? Dodgers always have money but that seems excessive. Perhaps LAA but they need pitching. It'll be interesting

They won’t trade him if they’re in first, and the Brewers aren’t going to run away and hide, either.

On 6/8/2021 at 3:12 PM, SoxFan562004 said:

Yeah, if you go towards Metro and Gman it still has a bit of character, but until then in is creepily sterile.  

Lived a mile West for close to a decade, had some character until they started corporatizing the rooftops, building 100 + seats per building, tour down yum yum, the jersey store and everything else around the park. Hated the massive scoreboard and enormous bleachers they built over the past few years. So many great  options either gone (Augenblick; Guthries - Though the Village Tap will reopen it), or sold and not the same (Diner Grill).

Places still worth hitting within a mile or so of the stadium:

• Bars/ Breweries: The Longroom (still temp closed for the Rona) ; Niesei Lounge; Dovetail; Finley Dunnes; The Green Lady.
  • Other: Music Box Theatre; Paulina Meat Market

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

They won’t trade him if they’re in first, and the Brewers aren’t going to run away and hide, either.

I'm referring to when he walks away in free agency. Rosenthal essentially said as much last night

Edited by soxfan49

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Lived a mile West for close to a decade, had some character until they started corporatizing the rooftops, building 100 + seats per building, tour down yum yum, the jersey store and everything else around the park. Hated the massive scoreboard and enormous bleachers they built over the past few years. So many great  options either gone (Augenblick; Guthries - Though the Village Tap will reopen it), or sold and not the same (Diner Grill).

Places still worth hitting within a mile or so of the stadium:

• Bars/ Breweries: The Longroom (still temp closed for the Rona) ; Niesei Lounge; Dovetail; Finley Dunnes; The Green Lady.
  • Other: Music Box Theatre; Paulina Meat Market

The area immediately around Wrigley (“Wrigleyville”) is sterile.  But “within a mile” is an enormous swath of Chicago with an infinite number of interesting places.

18 minutes ago, pcq said:

ESPN keeps showing the Cub fans connecting hundreds of beer cups to form a long snake through the crowd. Really fascinating . 

I was at the game last Tuesday night and think they tried that in the LF bleachers at Sox Park.  Had no idea what people were cheering about and then it fell apart.

On 6/13/2021 at 8:46 PM, pcq said:

ESPN keeps showing the Cub fans connecting hundreds of beer cups to form a long snake through the crowd. Really fascinating . 

Another sign of Cubs Intelligencia.