Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
35thstreetswarm

Cubs 2021

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

The Herald had better Sox coverage than the Tribune in those recent times when the Trib didn't have a regular Sox writer.  At least now they have LaMond Pope on the beat and he's man for the job, IMO.

I met Pope briefly and he seemed like a decent guy. His game stories are okay. But the Trib has Paul Sullivan dominating the sports front page and most of the time I read the Tribune for other things. Regardless, the Trib has had to fight back accusations of pro-Cub bias for decades, and this recent example is why. Simply put: the Sox should have been the main story because they're heading to the playoffs. In 2021, the Cubs are going nowhere. Even though I will admit Sullivan had a column criticizing the Cubs FO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

 The Athletic has the best current coverage.

You mean second best after SoxTalk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NWINFan said:

I met Pope briefly and he seemed like a decent guy. His game stories are okay. But the Trib has Paul Sullivan dominating the sports front page and most of the time I read the Tribune for other things. Regardless, the Trib has had to fight back accusations of pro-Cub bias for decades, and this recent example is why. Simply put: the Sox should have been the main story because they're heading to the playoffs. In 2021, the Cubs are going nowhere. Even though I will admit Sullivan had a column criticizing the Cubs FO.

Those long and repetitive stories about why the Cubs are bad are must reading for the devoted sports fan, just like detailed descriptions of Bears training camp minutiae by three, count 'em, writers keep your eyes riveted to the page. 😫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NWINFan said:

I met Pope briefly and he seemed like a decent guy. His game stories are okay. But the Trib has Paul Sullivan dominating the sports front page and most of the time I read the Tribune for other things. Regardless, the Trib has had to fight back accusations of pro-Cub bias for decades, and this recent example is why. Simply put: the Sox should have been the main story because they're heading to the playoffs. In 2021, the Cubs are going nowhere. Even though I will admit Sullivan had a column criticizing the Cubs FO.

Its not bias, it is profit.  They write things for the fan bases and what they want to hear.  Its not about objectivity, it is about selling papers and clicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Props to Kyle Hendricks for having a classic mid aughts old man type season of a lot of wins and a high era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I had to check the name, but Scot Gregor has been on the Sox beat for the Herald for over 20 years and he knows what he is doing as a writer.  This while the Tribune couldn't afford a regular Sox beat writer.

To be fair, ever since Sam Zell's takeover the Tribune has been pained by nothing but awful management and disastrous decisions to the point where they can't afford any writers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

You mean second best after SoxTalk.

No, they have regular full time writers assigned, not a slight against SoxTalk writers, just a matter of resources.

Don’t recall a better beat reporter than James Fegan in half a century following the team.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

No, they have regular full time writers assigned, not a slight against SoxTalk writers, just a matter of resources.

Don’t recall a better beat reporter than James Fegan in half a century following the team.

James Fegan ain't got shit on James Fox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Quin said:

To be fair, ever since Sam Zell's takeover the Tribune has been pained by nothing but awful management and disastrous decisions to the point where they can't afford any writers.

Zell's formula is to buy properties in decline and pump them up to flip or bleed the assets off and dump them.  They call him "Grave Dancer."  Did he foresee the decline of print media in general?  Maybe not, but bet your life that he made money off it.  Hey, somebody lower on the scale than him was willing to buy the paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the game last night (free skybox tickets). The weather was perfect.

The announced paid attendance was 24,925. I’d say there was about half that number actually there.

Not counting COVID restricted games (2020-June 2021), I had to go way back to find a home night game with a lower paid attendance.

May 5, 1998

Attendance: 21,431

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the new narrative after beating Colorado and Pittsburgh that they are a few big free agent signings away from being the top team in the NL Central. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I love the new narrative after beating Colorado and Pittsburgh that they are a few big free agent signings away from being the top team in the NL Central. 

You don't even have to be good to make a 16 team playoff. 75-79 wins will likely do it.

Making the playoffs, on either side of town, cannot be accepted by fans as the goal. The goal is fielding one of the best teams in baseball, with the talent to be a legitimate WS favorite (top 4-6 teams in MLB). If fans accept mediocrity (wild card team), that's what the owners will provide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Went to the game last night (free skybox tickets). The weather was perfect.

The announced paid attendance was 24,925. I’d say there was about half that number actually there.

Not counting COVID restricted games (2020-June 2021), I had to go way back to find a home night game with a lower paid attendance.

May 5, 1998

Attendance: 21,431

In related news, for the first time since 2006 I went to buy tickets for a (non-opening Day/Cubs series) Sox game several days in advance (Friday night vs. BOS) and was shut out of the lower bowl.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You don't even have to be good to make a 16 team playoff. 75-79 wins will likely do it.

Making the playoffs, on either side of town, cannot be accepted by fans as the goal. The goal is fielding one of the best teams in baseball, with the talent to be a legitimate WS favorite (top 4-6 teams in MLB). If fans accept mediocrity (wild card team), that's what the owners will provide.

16 teams do not make the playoffs in baseball.  10 do and 4 of them are at a distinct disadvantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

16 teams do not make the playoffs in baseball.  10 do and 4 of them are at a distinct disadvantage.

20 teams do not make the playoffs. 

In the 2020, and owner proposed 2021 scheme, 16 teams would, none of which had any advantage beyond home games for the first series. They will likely demand this in the CBA, this is what I am referring to when responding to your OG post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

20 teams do not make the playoffs. 

In the 2020, and owner proposed 2021 scheme, 16 teams would, none of which had any advantage beyond home games for the first series. They will likely demand this in the CBA, this is what I am referring to when responding to your OG post.

That is possibly the case but the conversation I was referring to was for the current landscape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand fans getting attached to a player. Many of us Sox fans did with Konerko. But this stuff with Bryant is a little over the top. Enough already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cubs blew another lead against the Brewers. Have clinched a losing season. Will see how the Tribune sells that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cardinals tied their all time consecutive win streak at fourteen today, after their doubleheader sweep of the Cubs at Wrigley Field.

The Cardinals will attempt their 15th straight win tomorrow at 1:20 PM. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the day the Sox won their 90th, the Cubs lost their 90th. Great day.

  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cubs are delusional if they don't think they need a rebuild.  I'm not saying don't try to sign a big name free agent but it seems like they are attempting to do what the Sox did in 2015 which is retool on the fly while still having gaping holes.

 

https://theathletic.com/2853320/2021/09/28/what-it-means-when-the-cubs-are-going-to-be-really-active-in-free-agency/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

The cubs are delusional if they don't think they need a rebuild.  I'm not saying don't try to sign a big name free agent but it seems like they are attempting to do what the Sox did in 2015 which is retool on the fly while still having gaping holes.

 

https://theathletic.com/2853320/2021/09/28/what-it-means-when-the-cubs-are-going-to-be-really-active-in-free-agency/

They will have a higher payroll to work with, and a solid GM seeking value over making a splash. 

They will not compete for the NL Central, but do believe they will make the playoffs if they are expanded to 16 teams as expected. They do have a solid 10-12 players to start the process, including the two the Sox handed them for Kimbrel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×