Cubs 2021

35thstreetswarm

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

They don't already?  Well, Eaton will be "okay" at least, but he's got to stay on the field for 140-145 games at least.

Beyond an Eaton ability to return to his 2016 and prior ability, Engel may be the better OFer period at this point. He’s definitely better in the field, is a better option against LHP, and Engel may have turned the corner, albeit in a small sample, with his ,837 OPS vs. RHP last year.

The best case scenario at this point is Eaton is able to stay healthy for a good portion of the season, doesn’t injure (crash into) Robert, and can bat well enough vs. RHP to play 100 games. 

Not sure why Hahn couldn’t guarantee RF to Joc for 1-2 years with Joc’s concerns over being a primary DH, the reported sticking point last offseason. The Sox already have too many DHs and only one spot.

I’m just grateful it’s a one year deal for Eaton, after the three four year deals given to older players the past two offseasons.

• 2 weeks later...

https://wgntv.com/news/cubs-minor-league-player-arrested-after-police-find-21-pounds-of-meth-in-duffel-bag/

Jesus Carmago Corrales, 25, was arrested Wednesday in Eagle, Colorado after police pulled him over when they saw his car speeding and drifting in and out of his lane.

The Eagle County Sheriff’s Office said they searched the car and their K-9 took interest to the car’s rear wheel well and also under the rear seat. After further searching, police found the driver’s duffel bag, which was covered with essential oils. Inside the bag was 21 pounds of meth, 1.2 pounds of Oxycodone pills, several baseball gloves, cleats and $1,000 in cash.

I don't see this guy on any of their prospects lists, and he apparently wasn't in camp.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Ricketts are going to be crucified if Kyle Hendricks is the only identifiable player on the roster in the 2nd half.

Their division is garbage.  Their pitching sucks both in the rotation and pen but they probably have enough offense and have a good enough defense to contend in that division.

They will be crucified maybe if they pull their version of the White Flag Trade where they open up a firesale while still being within striking distance in that shit division.

13 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

lol what?

I was mostly kidding. Cubs are gonna need a 1B after this season. Trade Vaughn for Bryant (assuming you can extend Bryant) and that solves your LF problem. Eloy becomes permanent DH once he recovers. Boom, good luck with that lineup. Of course, this won't happen. 

Edited by ScooterMcGee

But at the same time, this entire sport is about entertaining the fans. That is the reason it exists! Is being cold and calculating in an effort to maximize wins at the most efficient price tag part of that? Sure. We like to watch wins, and we like to watch wins over a long period of time. But we also like to watch players we enjoy. Players we feel connected to. That also has value.

And also? Taking care of the face of your franchise has value that goes beyond fan service or even his performance on the field. You gonna tell me this Rizzo situation doesn’t mean anything at all to future players who consider extensions? To future free agents who are pitched the idea that this is a players-first organization?

If the reporting here is accurate, the Cubs need to step up and revise their offer. Period. Five years and $70 million at this moment in time for Rizzo is an unacceptable offer. Maybe it won’t take much of a bump up to get Rizzo’s camp talking again, but it needs to happen. If Rizzo winds up walking and this was the best offer the Cubs made, it will not be hard to see how fans will never forget this one, regardless of how things actually play out for his next contract and his next half-decade of performance. That’s the nature of fans.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/03/29/cubs-initial-offer-to-anthony-rizzo-was-reportedly-just-70-million-over-five-years/

Feels similar to the time Reinsdorf pushed out Buehrle, although not quite so insulting as the Cubs are being

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Marquee network dropped from Hulu.  My buddy is PISSED, had to go sign up through AT&T and is worried that will eventually get dropped too

This apparently happened in October...

The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday that Diamond Sports, Sinclair’s regional sports network subsidiary, was seeking to restructure an estimated $8 billion debt load.

The group’s business has been rocked this year by reduction of games because of the pandemic and the loss of some carriage deals with pay-TV distributors.

One bright spot for Sinclair was the July agreement it struck with Comcast to carry Marquee, its other regional sports networks, the Tennis Channel and 78 local TV stations.

The Journal reported that in a subsequent earnings call Sinclair Chief Executive Chris Ripley told analysts that 85% of Sinclair’s RSN subscribers were locked in at least the next two years.

For disgruntled Xfinity subscribers, the only way to get out of paying for Marquee, short of dropping Xfinity altogether, would be to reduce their service to the basic tier. Seeing as that would eliminate not just Marquee but NBC Sports Chicago and Big Ten Network as well, it may not be a satisfactory resolution.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-hulu-drops-marquee-sinclair-rsns-20201022-gnkqclhsuvbrroqs3adfp2kzda-story.html

This new channel is expected to bring the Cubs an additional $30M of revenue compared to other stations, excluding any advertising and the aforementioned regional sports fee. This fee will be subsidized not just by Cubs fans, but by all TV subscribers with any cable package that exceeds basic cable, who will pay this regional sports fee regardless of whether or not the cubs are playing games.

This regional sports fee is a fee being charged to all in-network TV subscribers against their will. The Marquee Sports Network should be removed from standard sports lineup and only be offered as a premium channel to those willing to pay extra.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This apparently happened in October...

The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday that Diamond Sports, Sinclair’s regional sports network subsidiary, was seeking to restructure an estimated $8 billion debt load.

The group’s business has been rocked this year by reduction of games because of the pandemic and the loss of some carriage deals with pay-TV distributors.

One bright spot for Sinclair was the July agreement it struck with Comcast to carry Marquee, its other regional sports networks, the Tennis Channel and 78 local TV stations.

The Journal reported that in a subsequent earnings call Sinclair Chief Executive Chris Ripley told analysts that 85% of Sinclair’s RSN subscribers were locked in at least the next two years.

For disgruntled Xfinity subscribers, the only way to get out of paying for Marquee, short of dropping Xfinity altogether, would be to reduce their service to the basic tier. Seeing as that would eliminate not just Marquee but NBC Sports Chicago and Big Ten Network as well, it may not be a satisfactory resolution.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-hulu-drops-marquee-sinclair-rsns-20201022-gnkqclhsuvbrroqs3adfp2kzda-story.html

Cubs fans finding out now apparently, since it happened when there was no baseball

• Like 1

I was moved to AT&TV from Uverse and believe I pay under $10 For CSN and Marquee.  I couldn't pick just one.  I am thinking CSN is a larger amount then Marquee.  

I wish CSN filled their day with some sort of programming there is so much crap on there while they still have 3 major teams on the channel.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

But at the same time, this entire sport is about entertaining the fans. That is the reason it exists! Is being cold and calculating in an effort to maximize wins at the most efficient price tag part of that? Sure. We like to watch wins, and we like to watch wins over a long period of time. But we also like to watch players we enjoy. Players we feel connected to. That also has value.

And also? Taking care of the face of your franchise has value that goes beyond fan service or even his performance on the field. You gonna tell me this Rizzo situation doesn’t mean anything at all to future players who consider extensions? To future free agents who are pitched the idea that this is a players-first organization?

If the reporting here is accurate, the Cubs need to step up and revise their offer. Period. Five years and $70 million at this moment in time for Rizzo is an unacceptable offer. Maybe it won’t take much of a bump up to get Rizzo’s camp talking again, but it needs to happen. If Rizzo winds up walking and this was the best offer the Cubs made, it will not be hard to see how fans will never forget this one, regardless of how things actually play out for his next contract and his next half-decade of performance. That’s the nature of fans.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/03/29/cubs-initial-offer-to-anthony-rizzo-was-reportedly-just-70-million-over-five-years/

Feels similar to the time Reinsdorf pushed out Buehrle, although not quite so insulting as the Cubs are being

I believe the Cubs called Lester’s agent last minute with an offer of $2M-$3M, before he signed with Washington the following day. 

Jerry and Tom have a lot in common.

5 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I was mostly kidding. Cubs are gonna need a 1B after this season. Trade Vaughn for Bryant (assuming you can extend Bryant) and that solves your LF problem. Eloy becomes permanent DH once he recovers. Boom, good luck with that lineup. Of course, this won't happen. 

The Cubs better throw Hoerner into that deal then.

I still wouldn't do it though.  Bryant is still a 3B, Hoerner is a really nice looking young player but the MIF FA market is incredibly good, and due to Bryant's lengthy injury history, Vaughn is probably the best hitter in the deal as soon as 2022, and maybe even in 2021.

Still, Hoerner + Bryant for Vaughn is a lot more fair than just Bryant for Vaughn.  ATM, I think Collins + Ruiz + Dalquist for Bryant would get that deal done.  And for the Sox I wouldn't even do that, and if targeting an expensive corner OF, I'd look at Haniger, Marte, Eduardo Escobar, Blackmon, etc. someone like that over Bryant, with more OF experience and/or more versatility around the diamond.

I think if Bryant had really any value at all, the Cubs would have traded him long ago.  I don't think he's worth even half of what they got for Darvish + Caratini and that's really saying something.

50 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

The Cubs better throw Hoerner into that deal then.

I still wouldn't do it though.  Bryant is still a 3B, Hoerner is a really nice looking young player but the MIF FA market is incredibly good, and due to Bryant's lengthy injury history, Vaughn is probably the best hitter in the deal as soon as 2022, and maybe even in 2021.

Still, Hoerner + Bryant for Vaughn is a lot more fair than just Bryant for Vaughn.  ATM, I think Collins + Ruiz + Dalquist for Bryant would get that deal done.  And for the Sox I wouldn't even do that, and if targeting an expensive corner OF, I'd look at Haniger, Marte, Eduardo Escobar, Blackmon, etc. someone like that over Bryant, with more OF experience and/or more versatility around the diamond.

I think if Bryant had really any value at all, the Cubs would have traded him long ago.  I don't think he's worth even half of what they got for Darvish + Caratini and that's really saying something.

That is insane considering he won the MVP not too long ago. He really went downhill