Is Eloy Our “He Who Shall Not Be Named”?

hi8is

Gio was a fleece.

Eloy was a big fleece as the Cubs got meh out of Q. Ceas3 may end up a big fleece as well. 

The difference is that Eloy sucks at defense so you lose a lot of HOF value. Shields was also completely worthless before we got him. Q may have been meh with the Cubs, but he did contribute to playoff teams. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Gio was a fleece.

Eloy was a big fleece as the Cubs got meh out of Q. Ceas3 may end up a big fleece as well. 

The difference is that Eloy sucks at defense so you lose a lot of HOF value. Shields was also completely worthless before we got him. Q may have been meh with the Cubs, but he did contribute to playoff teams. 

Those trades were very, very bad for the other team.  

Voldemort tops them all. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, heirdog said:

The He Who Shall Not Be Named / Preller presser probably brought this worn out topic back up.  Yes, for every HWSNBN there is an Eloy but the Pads should know better than to gloat about a trade...see Rizzo, Trea Turner, etc. 

Fixed...

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Those trades were very, very bad for the other team.  

Voldemort tops them all. 

Meh.. Eaton actually was a big help to their World Series. I'd take that if I am the Nats, and still be happy.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

Nah, I don't think so. The Cubs knew what they were giving up, they got a WAY better player back, and while Eloy is already good, he hasn't reached Tatis level yet.

Our deal was a prospect who, if we knew how good he was, would never have been in any trade at all, for a player in Shields that every team (and publication, tbh) knew was garbage except the White Sox, and the prospect has now blossomed into someone who has already put up 6.5 fWAR in 143 games.

I appreciate the attempt at positivity, though.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, hi8is said:

Shields = Quintana

Eloy = He Who Shall Not Be Named

I haven’t thought about it this way and it may help continue the process of healing from trauma.

What say you?

Eloy would have to separate himself from the pack of very talented hitters and reach that plateau where all of baseball is talking about him. This year that would mean 40 HR's and a .300 BA without looking like he's wearing clown shoes in the OF.

It would be nice though if he can reach that kind of plateau for like 5 years in a row. I have a pet theory on Eloy that is out there but based on some observations that no one wants to hear .

Yeah Eloy proves to be a disaster trade for the cubs. At least torres gave them chapman who closed game 7 of the WS but quintana didn't do much for the cubs.

I can understand the cubs at the time though. Eloy was a top prospect with great power potential but he also was defensively limited, was seen as a bit injury prone and was a bad k/Bb guy so there was a chance he would become a low on base DH slugger like CJ cron. Quintana on the other hand was very solid even though he always was riding limiting batted ball production which was a bit risky compared to a high K ace but that was what the cubs had success with arrieta and hendricks before.

But then eloy really reached his ceiling becoming probably more of a 40 homer guy instead of a 30 homer guy and also his OBP seems to outplay his still shaky plate discipline because he hits the ball so well. And on the other side quintana did become quite bad.