FS: Preseason 2021 Top 30 Prospects List 1-30

Y2Jimmy0

Here is the preseason top 30 prospects list from FutureSox: https://www.futuresox.com/2021/02/24/top-30-white-sox-prospect-rankings-preseason-2021/

Mike Rankin and myself also joined the LockedonSox podcast with Chris Tannehill and Herb Lawrence to discuss the list and the process: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-176-future-sox-top-30-prospects/id1486968407?i=1000510427647

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Here is the preseason top 30 prospects list from FutureSox: https://www.futuresox.com/2021/02/24/top-30-white-sox-prospect-rankings-preseason-2021/

Mike Rankin and myself also joined the LockedonSox podcast with Chris Tannehill and Herb Lawrence to discuss the list and the process: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-176-future-sox-top-30-prospects/id1486968407?i=1000510427647

What is the reasoning for Thompson ahead of Dalquist?  What're your thoughts on each?

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

What is the reasoning for Thompson ahead of Dalquist?  What're your thoughts on each?

Just side commentary but BA was really high on thompson in the instructionals and I know the FS podcast with Norris he mentioned this. I think Dalquist's command and repertoire make him a board favorite, but sounds like Thompson's athleticism and shown stuff recently has helped him start to change minds on whether he can become a starter.

• Thanks 1

• bmags pinned this topic
On 2/24/2021 at 9:02 AM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Thompson has the higher ceiling. He's a premium athlete at the position with a fastball in the mid 90's and a hard breaker. Dalquist has a 4 pitch mix and a much higher floor but we valued stuff and upside. Thompson is the better prospect right now. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Anyone else see the NSC tweet stating that LaRussa said Robert has to hit his way out of the lower third of the order? I'm guessing that means Eaton in 2-hole *sigh*.

Edit: wrong thread. Dammit.

I was already assuming Robert at 7.  Eaton at 8. Madrigal at 9

16 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I was already assuming Robert at 7.  Eaton at 8. Madrigal at 9

I had Robert 6, Eaton 8. Whoever DH's in 7 spot. I'm thinking this would mean Robert, DH, Madrigal 7-9. And then of course that can change after a few weeks depending on how everyone is doing.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 11:50 AM, manbearpuig said:

I had Robert 6, Eaton 8. Whoever DH's in 7 spot. I'm thinking this would mean Robert, DH, Madrigal 7-9. And then of course that can change after a few weeks depending on how everyone is doing.

Damn that's a pretty good back end of a batting order. 

3 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Any early predictions on who'll be at every level?

A lot of young guys will likely be at Kanny.  I’d expect Romas, Rodriguez, Bailey, Gladney, Beard, & Mieses all there plus Kelley, Thompson, & Dalquist in the rotation.  Even Winston-Salem should have some fun guys in Cespedes, Bush, Sosa, Yolbert, Weaver, and maybe Delgado.

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A lot of young guys will likely be at Kanny.  I’d expect Romas, Rodriguez, Bailey, Gladney, Beard, & Mieses all there plus Kelley, Thompson, & Dalquist in the rotation.  Even Winston-Salem should have some fun guys in Cespedes, Bush, Sosa, Yolbert, Weaver, and maybe Delgado.

Ramos, Rodriguez and Bailey are expected in Kannapolis. Cabera Weaver and Lency Delgado as well. Kelley, Thompson and Dalquist very likely to be there too. I’m not sure about Gladney. He could go back to rookie ball and Beard definitely will. Bush likely goes to Winston along with Comas and Mieses. Sosa in Winston too. I’m not really sure on Cespedes yet. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Ramos, Rodriguez and Bailey are expected in Kannapolis. Cabera Weaver and Lency Delgado as well. Kelley, Thompson and Dalquist very likely to be there too. I’m not sure about Gladney. He could go back to rookie ball and Beard definitely will. Bush likely goes to Winston along with Comas and Mieses. Sosa in Winston too. I’m not really sure on Cespedes yet. 

Thanks James.   I’m sure I’m wrong here but I thought Getz implied Weaver was headed to A+. For some reason I also thought he hinted at Delgado going to Winston-Salem as well.

I feel like Jose Rodriguez is the sleeper here in this prospect group. You’ve got him ranked higher than others do, so I’m guessing you agree. My prediction he is top ten by next spring.

Vega you describe as top of rotation potential but you have him ranked behind guys you say have mid rotation potential. Why is that? I’d think that would put him in top five. Dahlquist for example isn’t really any more advanced in development and considered mid rotation potential. I see that sort of thing all the time in prospect rankings just wondering why

7 hours ago, Vulture said:

I feel like Jose Rodriguez is the sleeper here in this prospect group. You’ve got him ranked higher than others do, so I’m guessing you agree. My prediction he is top ten by next spring.

Vega you describe as top of rotation potential but you have him ranked behind guys you say have mid rotation potential. Why is that? I’d think that would put him in top five. Dahlquist for example isn’t really any more advanced in development and considered mid rotation potential. I see that sort of thing all the time in prospect rankings just wondering why

Rodriguez could really take off or his aggressive approach could bury him. He can really hit but he doesn’t walk and he’s probably a 2B. We just went conservative overall with the Vera ranking. The $1.5 million bonus puts him in line with Thompson and Dalquist. Dalquist is safer and that matters. If Vera hits his ceiling, he’ll be really good but he’s pretty far away. He could pitch next fall stateside though and we might feel dumb having him as low as we do. Ranking Vera and Cespedes was tough because nobody has seen them. I generally favor ceiling but you have to weigh how likely a player is to reach that ceiling. Then the floor comes in and proximity to majors matters as well. 

• bmags unpinned this topic