Service Time Manipulation

Texsox

The owners probably won't like it but I'd like to see a drafting team have control of the player for a set period of time regardless of level assigned. My idea is a team has control for seven or eight years then the player would be a free agent. 

How about 6 years of service time or free agency after your age 27 season, whichever comes first. That way you bring him up at a younger age, and the player gets to hit the market knowing good years are coming Age 28 to 32. Or something like this. They need to get creative to pay guys what they're worth while they're producing,

Just now, flavum said:

How about 6 years of service time or free agency after your age 27 season, whichever comes first. That way you bring him up at a younger age, and the player gets to hit the market knowing good years are coming Age 28 to 32. Or something like this. They need to get creative to pay guys what they're worth while they're producing,

Paying them what they are worth is why the owners won't go for it. 

I'm wondering how many posters here can remember the days before free agency? 

I doubt owners will ever give up a year.  It's just too valuable to them.  I saw one proposal that changed the way service time is calculated.  Rather than going by days like it currently is service time would be calculated by quaters.  That way owners won't have to keep a player down for X amount of days before they could call him up and not lose that precious extra year.  Imagine that.  A team could actually field it's best team on opening day rather than (wink wink) waiting until a player magically improves his defense or baserunning in X amount of days. What a novel concept.  

• Thanks 1

The whole system needs an entire overhaul. Honestly, service time should be seven years but should start when a player plays his first MiLB game. Players should be getting to FA quicker. I know it's not great for the fans or ownership, but these players should be getting paid the biggest money when they are in their prime, not at 29-30 when they eventually hit the market. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/24/2021 at 7:47 PM, Texsox said:

The owners probably won't like it but I'd like to see a drafting team have control of the player for a set period of time regardless of level assigned. My idea is a team has control for seven or eight years then the player would be a free agent. 

I agree. It should bei different for college, HS or international players though. Make it 10 years for international, 9 years for HS and 7 for college or so.

That would incentive teams to develope players quicker.

• Like 1