I'm going to enjoy the White Sox this year

VAfan

48 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This off-season was to placate Tony, give him players he remembered (Lynn/Eaton) or likes (Hendriks pet rescue). Just glad its one year deals for Eaton and Lynn, and Hendrick's $s are 2/3 of Grandal and Keuchel.

That's why I believe 2022 is a more realistic chance of everything coming together in terms of legitimate contention for a World Series. Wouldn't have committed so much for four years to three 30 something players, but it is what it is with this FO. It's also why it is so important Kopech and Crochet are managed to be able to start 25-30 games next year. If they are kept in the bullpen to placate Tony over the next season or two, it will be a monumental and unforgivable epic waste of talent.

OK, I understand what you were going for in your previous post.

That said, I think I disagree. I think that 2021 should be the more likely year to compete. Or, at least, this is the way those geniuses in the FO have hoped for it to be. [Rather than PLANNING for the best year to compete..]

By 2022, Keuchel will be 34, and will likely be in the middle of age-related regression. Lynn likely will have signed somewhere else in FA. Rodon will again be released. Grandal will be 33, and may begin his age-related regression as well. Eaton will either be gone or injured, and TLR will be a year closer to alcohol-related dementia. Meanwhile, to succor TLR, the SOX will have wasted a year of control on putting crochet in the BP.

Oh, and BTW, the CBA expires after this season. I'm sure noted labor ally JR will gladly give the players all that they want, in order to keep the games going.

So, IMO, its hope/wish/pray for competence out of Cease/Lopez/Rodon/Kopech to find the strike zone this season. OR, hope for this FO to actually put in the work to acquire the necessary rotational depth to compete. During an open CBA negotiation next offseason.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

That said, I think I disagree. I think that 2021 should be the more likely year to compete. Or, at least, this is the way those geniuses in the FO have hoped for it to be. [Rather than PLANNING for the best year to compete..]

By 2022, Keuchel will be 34, and will likely be in the middle of age-related regression. Lynn likely will have signed somewhere else in FA. Rodon will again be released. Grandal will be 33, and may begin his age-related regression as well. Eaton will either be gone or injured, and TLR will be a year closer to alcohol-related dementia. Meanwhile, to succor TLR, the SOX will have wasted a year of control on putting crochet in the BP.

Oh, and BTW, the CBA expires after this season. I'm sure noted labor ally JR will gladly give the players all that they want, in order to keep the games going.

So, IMO, its hope/wish/pray for competence out of Cease/Lopez/Rodon/Kopech to find the strike zone this season. OR, hope for this FO to actually put in the work to acquire the necessary rotational depth to compete. During an open CBA negotiation next offseason.

The less Tony does or speaks, the better. Let Narron, Cairo and Katz manage the team, he can collect victories for his record.

In terms of playoff rotation, the Sox best chance at a World Series during this window is to have Kopech and Crochet in the rotation. 2022 is the more realistic option on that front, unless they sit out until mid season, which I don't see happening with La Russa "win today / April 9th" trumping everything.

2022/23 Giolito, Kopech, Crochet and Cease and or perhaps a solid FA signing >>> 2021 Giolito, Lynn, Keuchel and Cease

Hoping Keuchel misses 1-2 months early this year, to force them to reconsider Kopech / Crochet La Russa bullpen boy toy time, and to avoid Keuchel vesting in 2023.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

24 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The less Tony does or speaks, the better. Let Narron, Cairo and Katz manage the team, he can collect victories for his record.

In terms of playoff rotation, the Sox best chance at a World Series during this window is to have Kopech and Crochet in the rotation. 2022 is the more realistic option on that front, unless they sit out until mid season, which I don't see happening with La Russa "win today / April 9th" trumping everything.

2022/23 Giolito, Kopech, Crochet and Cease and or perhaps a solid FA signing >>> 2021 Giolito, Lynn, Keuchel and Cease

Hoping Keuchel misses 1-2 months early this year, to force them to reconsider Kopech / Crochet La Russa bullpen boy toy time, and to avoid Keuchel vesting in 2023.

Agreed that TLR should shut his stoopid hole.

That said, your 2022 [if there is a season]/2023 rotation consists of:

a CY candidate,

2 guys who struggled to keep their BB/9 under 4 in MiLB, let alone in MLB, and

a guy who couldn't stay healthy long enough to throw even 10 IP.

The 3 SPs you list after Giolito have all drastically underperformed their velo and stuff so far in their careers. We don't actually yet know if Kopech/Crochet/Cease are actually, ya know, GOOD at baseball or if they're all gonna be busts. What's more, all 4 have significant injury histories.

In the era Three True Outcomes, the shittiness at avoiding giving up walks and HR [by Cease/Kopech especially] seems to be disadvantageous towards winning. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Agreed that TLR should shut his stoopid hole.

That said, your 2022 [if there is a season]/2023 rotation consists of:

a CY candidate,

2 guys who struggled to keep their BB/9 under 4 in MiLB, let alone in MLB, and

a guy who couldn't stay healthy long enough to throw even 10 IP.

The 3 SPs you list after Giolito have all drastically underperformed their velo and stuff so far in their careers. We don't actually yet know if Kopech/Crochet/Cease are actually, ya know, GOOD at baseball or if they're all gonna be busts. What's more, all 4 have significant injury histories.

In the era Three True Outcomes, the shittiness at avoiding giving up walks and HR [by Cease/Kopech especially] seems to be disadvantageous towards winning. 

I’d like to see a solid FA SP signing next off season. If Lynn is solid, a 1-2 year deal could work as well. 

All three of the Sox young SP core have great stuff, I believe Katz can work with them to harness their control and be solid dependable starters if the team ever permits them to becoming starting pitchers.

If two of three develop into solid 2-3s, with Giolito and say a Lynn or good FA starter makes a formidable playoff rotation. They should still have a solid bullpen, and their core hitters will have a full year of experience.

Perhaps Engel will be ready to play 120 games a season based on the progress he has shown against RHP, assuming Tony let’s him play regularly if Engel outperforms Eaton. 

Engel had a .837 OPS vs righties last year, much stronger than Eaton at .768 at his natural platoon split. Engel is a much better outfielder and has more power as well, he is by far the superior option at this stage of Eaton’s career.

My preferred lineup would be Anderson, Moncada, Abreu, Jimenez, Robert, Grandal, Vaughn, Engel, Madrigal.

On 3/4/2021 at 12:56 AM, tray said:

"Do you define fair weather as fans who don't watch during tough times? "

Yes, if you decide to watch only if the team has a winning record, you are a fair weather fan.

I watched the 2005 World Series at a SS bar where several Sox fans shed tears of joy  after we clinched it because this was their team, our team. They stuck with the White Sox  through thick and thin and through all the years...several .decades in some cases.

It's OK to be a fair weather fan if that is what one chooses to become.  All aboard this year and if it doesn't work out,  maybe show up on the North side when fair weather hits up there.

If this "fair weather fan" commentary is still related to me, it's misguided. I became a Sox fan in 1970, and followed the team closely through the 2000s. That alone is more than 30 years. How long have you been a fan?  If I tuned out during the early part of the rebuild, that doesn't change my Sox fandom. 

I don't live in the Chicago area. I would still go see Sox games with my Sox friend or son when they would come to DC or Baltimore, but there was no way to see them on TV unless I subscribed to MLB TV. Why would I spend a lot of time and money on a team that was tanking towards 100 losses every year?  I never gave up on the Sox or turned to some other team. I just took a break. 

On 3/4/2021 at 3:18 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

I'd really prefer if Keuchel missed no time

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2021 at 3:06 PM, Two-Gun Pete said:

I'm confident ownership will totally botch this competitive window. It has already started. 

On 3/4/2021 at 3:18 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

Don't understand the expectations on this board that Crochet will ever be a starter.  His college stats at Tenn are completely contrary to this.  In his 2 years, he had 35 appearances with only 12 starts.  In those, he only pitched >6.2 once; going 8.  About half were < 6. He also got hit pretty hard in many starts.  How does that convert to 160-200 MLB innings any time soon, if at all?  

15 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

I'm confident ownership will totally botch this competitive window. It has already started. 

I'm not yet there in my thinking. However:

Think back to how this team wiltered down the stretch last season. Think about how this team got bounced out of the playoffs. Did you, or really ANYONE here think: 

"Boy, that Alex Colome really fucked up this entire team, and shat his pants. If ONLY we could replace him, we'd be good?"

Or, did you, and really, most of us think last season, at the TDL, and down the stretch, and in the playoffs:

"For FUCK'S SAKE, we need some M0THERFUCKING STARTING PITCHING!!!!!"

So what did those geniuses do? They hired a geezing geezer alkie as manager, fired Mr. "Stay Tall. Throw Cutters. No Curveballs," and bought the most expensive RP they could find. While Hendriks is great, and worth every penny, I don't feel like that was this team's most pressing need. I never felt like the bullpen, or Colome was the reason for this team falling short. In sum, RH/KW/JR's choices this offseason felt like a moron who goes out and buys an Xbox and some weed the same day he gets laid off from his job, instead of taking a more mature approach to his life.

The other MAJOR thing that strikes me as moronic was the utter lack of attempts to extend your Ace BEFORE other SPs set the market, as well as trading 6 years of Dunning for 1 year of Lynn. There are other apparently less-than-ideal choices that they made, but I see them as less damning than those two. Now again, I don't yet know if the imbeciles running this thing will have completely shat their pants on this competitive window or not.

But I'll agree with you that they haven't made all of the optimal choices, either for 2021, or going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rounding_Third said:

Don't understand the expectations on this board that Crochet will ever be a starter.  His college stats at Tenn are completely contrary to this.  In his 2 years, he had 35 appearances with only 12 starts.  In those, he only pitched >6.2 once; going 8.  About half were < 6. He also got hit pretty hard in many starts.  How does that convert to 160-200 MLB innings any time soon, if at all?  

I don't think its "expectations that he'll be a starter," so much as it would be an attempt to maximize his value to the club by attempting to make him into a SP. Ya know, hoping that this FO would operate with some semblance of intellect and thought, rather than as stupidly as possible. Like good and successful orgs operate, rather than one that has never made the playoffs in back-to-back seasons.

Then again, I wonder if those clowns in the FO are smart enough, or can read enough English to understand that its less-than-ideal to spend the 11th pick in the draft on a reliever, and then start his clock right away. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Think back to how this team wiltered down the stretch last season. Think about how this team got bounced out of the playoffs. Did you, or really ANYONE here think: 

"Boy, that Alex Colome really fucked up this entire team, and shat his pants. If ONLY we could replace him, we'd be good?"

Or, did you, and really, most of us think last season, at the TDL, and down the stretch, and in the playoffs:

So what did those geniuses do? They hired a geezing geezer alkie as manager, fired Mr. "Stay Tall. Throw Cutters. No Curveballs," and bought the most expensive RP they could find. While Hendriks is great, and worth every penny, I don't feel like that was this team's most pressing need. I never felt like the bullpen, or Colome was the reason for this team falling short. In sum, RH/KW/JR's choices this offseason felt like a moron who goes out and buys an Xbox and some weed the same day he gets laid off from his job, instead of taking a more mature approach to his life.

The other MAJOR thing that strikes me as moronic was the utter lack of attempts to extend your Ace BEFORE other SPs set the market, as well as trading 6 years of Dunning for 1 year of Lynn. There are other apparently less-than-ideal choices that they made, but I see them as less damning than those two. Now again, I don't yet know if the imbeciles running this thing will have completely shat their pants on this competitive window or not.

But I'll agree with you that they haven't made all of the optimal choices, either for 2021, or going forward. 

And this is exactly why I feel this way and why I was skeptical of the rebuild from the get-go. 

3 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

So last years fail at the end of the year and playoffs was idiot manager and no third starter for playoffs...So management fires the idiot manager and replaces him with hall of fame manager and trades the failed third starter and gets back a top ten pitcher...and both were moronic moves?? I think at this point there was no move except RHs head on a pike that was going to appease you.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

So last years fail at the end of the year and playoffs was idiot manager and no third starter for playoffs...So management fires the idiot manager and replaces him with hall of fame manager and trades the failed third starter and gets back a top ten pitcher...and both were moronic moves?? I think at this point there was no move except RHs head on a pike that was going to appease you.

I don't believe that, a decade removed, and gallons of booze separated from his last game managed, the dessicated remains of TLR is RIGHT NOW a HOF manager any more. I think his brain has lost some sharpness in the intervening years, and I think that the booze has robbed him of some of his sharpness as well. I think his 76 years on earth have robbed his body of the physical endurance needed to be at his best over 162.

Lynn might be good, or he might not be in 2021, when his overweight, 33-going-on-34 year old body may or may not hold up.  What's more, is that over 162 games, EVEN IF Lynn is good, there's an equal-or-greater chance that Cease/Rodon/Lopez will continue to suck horses asses, walk the yard, and burn out the bullpen in 2021.

In terms of the competitive window [which was the point of that post], trading 1 year of Lynn for 6 years of Dunning absolutely was the wrong choice.

I will agree with you that RH should have been fired. But that should have happened years ago. Along with KW, and pretty much the entirety of the FO.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

And this is exactly why I feel this way and why I was skeptical of the rebuild from the get-go. 

I was OK with the rebuild. I just never thought that the imbeciles who traded for James Shields and got this team "mired in mediocrity" should have been given the opportunity to oversee the rebuild.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking this way; their choices in this and last offseason are proving why we were reluctant to trust those morons.

That said, one can think this way, AND still enjoy the season.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I don't believe that, a decade, and gallons of booze separated from his last game managed, that the dessicated remains of TLR is RIGHT NOW a HOF manager any more. I think his brain has lost some sharpness in the intervening years, and I think that the booze has robbed him of some of his sharpness as well. I think his 76 years years on earth have robbed his body of the physical endurance needed to be at his best over 162.

Lynn might be good, or he might not be in 2021, when his overweight, 33-going-on-34 year old body may or may not hold up.  What's more, is that over 162 games, EVEN IF Lynn is good, there's an equal-or-greater chance that Cease/Rodon/Lopez will continue to suck horses asses, walk the yard, and burn out the bullpen in 2021.

In terms of the competitive window [which was the point of that post], trading 1 year of Lynn for 6 years of Dunning absolutely was the wrong choice.

A million people a year get arrested for drunk driving...you are clearly drunk while posting right now...doesnt make you an alcoholic, an idiot or a monster...just a guy making a bad choice in the moment.  TLR has an amazing record as a manager. Maybe he's forgotten everything he knows...but its not "moronic" to hire him.  

As for your rantings on the pitchers?  Sober up and we can talk.  

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I was OK with the rebuild. I just never thought that the imbeciles who traded for James Shields and got this team "mired in mediocrity" should have been given the opportunity to oversee the rebuild.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking this way; their choices in this and last offseason are proving why we were reluctant to trust those morons.

That said, one can think this way, AND still enjoy the season.

So we are clear...you and many like you wanted the rebuild...think it was idiotic to let RH do the rebuild...think all of his moves are terrible...but still...excited for the season as the rebuild has gone so well.  More drinks for everyone! 

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

A million people a year get arrested for drunk driving...you are clearly drunk while posting right now...doesnt make you an alcoholic, an idiot or a monster...just a guy making a bad choice in the moment.  TLR has an amazing record as a manager. Maybe he's forgotten everything he knows...but its not "moronic" to hire him.  

As for your rantings on the pitchers?  Sober up and we can talk.  

TLR is RIGHT NOW a HOF-caliber manager in the same way that Dick Butkus is RIGHT NOW a HOF-caliber MLB.

Its merely more deleterious that a wealthy and famous "man" couldnt even have the ability to use his flip-phone to call a cab. Oh, and that instead of taking responsibility for his actions like a MAN, he pulled the "Im a HOF baseball person" bit. Honestly, TLR's kinda a whiny old b****.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

TLR is RIGHT NOW a HOF-caliber manager in the same way that Dick Butkus is RIGHT NOW a HOF-caliber MLB.

Its merely more deleterious that a wealthy and famous "man" couldnt even have the ability to use his flip-phone to call a cab. Oh, and that instead of taking responsibility for his actions like a MAN, he pulled the "Im a HOF baseball person" bit. Honestly, TLR's kinda a whiny old b****.

Lot of CEOs, US Presidents, US speakers of the House, film directors, money managers, doctors, lawyers, football coaches, etc in their 70s still doing their jobs effectively.  If you can't understand the difference between how age effects a middle linebacker and an organizational leader...well have another drink.  

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Lot of CEOs, US Presidents, US speakers of the House, film directors, money managers, doctors, lawyers, football coaches, etc in their 70s still doing their jobs effectively.  If you can't understand the difference between how age effects a middle linebacker and an organizational leader...well have another drink.  

With your logic, the Bears should hire Ditka, finished with a Super Bowl and far superior record with the Bears than Tony's pathetic .506 mark and zero playoff success before Hawk Harrelson thankfully shit canned his ass. 

Who in their right mind is going to hire a doctor, lawyer or money manager 10 years out of practice, setting aside one that is also a recidivist criminal?

And calling up the shitty presidents and congress be it a D or R, many who are senile and/or pathetically out of touch over the past decade, isn't helping your argument.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I don't believe that, a decade removed, and gallons of booze separated from his last game managed, the dessicated remains of TLR is RIGHT NOW a HOF manager any more. I think his brain has lost some sharpness in the intervening years, and I think that the booze has robbed him of some of his sharpness as well. I think his 76 years on earth have robbed his body of the physical endurance needed to be at his best over 162.

You’ve undoubtedly had some awful posts on this site. I mean, some real memorable pieces of shit....but this one belongs in some sort of “Hall of Garbage” 

It’s has to be so exhausting going through life that angry, that angry, that hostile.....and you’re doing it over something that is a CHOICE OF ENTERTAINMENT. It’s not like we’re talking about the choices of our government or religion.....the pure venom spewed by you post after post and post.....making the effort to not only feel that way over something you’re supposed to enjoy, but to come to a message board to make sure everyone else knows you how feel...it’s quite something. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

With your logic, the Bears should hire Ditka, finished with a Super Bowl and far superior record with the Bears than Tony's pathetic .506 mark and zero playoff success before Hawk Harrelson thankfully shit canned his ass. 

Who in their right mind is going to hire a doctor, lawyer or money manager 10 years out of practice, setting aside one that is also a recidivist criminal?

And calling up the shitty presidents and congress be it a D or R, many who are senile and/or pathetically out of touch over the past decade, isn't helping your argument.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

With your logic???   Please don't make up my arguments and then say they are stupid.   Comparing football coaches records to baseball coaches records is nonsensical ...30 NFL coaches with ten years experience have won more than 60% of their games...there are TWO MLB managers that have done the same...one died 70 years ago and the other is Charles Comisky.

Warren Buffet is 87 and he can handle my money any day.  Spielberg is 74 and he can direct my movie.  I absolutely would have taken a class on Physics at Princeton when the 75 year old Albert Einstein was teaching it.  70 year old Nick Saban can coach my football team.  TLR never left baseball just left the managing...I'm not sure what skill set you think he has lost because he's gotten older.  Coaching young men when you are 50 or 60 or 70 is the same thing...you cannot "relate" to their world...but you can lead them.  Neither I nor you KNOW what it is that makes a coach/manager "special"...but I'm telling you if Vince Lombardi arose from the dead and wanted to coach the Bears I'd take his 108 year old bones over Matt Nagy.  So taking a chance on TLR is not moronic.         

• Like 1