I'm going to enjoy the White Sox this year

VAfan

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Or to extol the virtues of Billy Hamilton singling in a situation calling for a homer or at least a double...

Nah, its wrong to criticize the (snicker) "Hall of Fame Manager" on that. Never mind that he doesn't know that its bad to ask a bad hitter to, ya know, HIT.  Never mind that it hurts his team to put a bad hitter in a game-crucial situation to try to hit.

Ya know why? We've  discovered that this manager has (and I'm quoting michelangelosmonkey's positives from a previous post) "personal goodness."

I mean, how can you argue with "personal goodness?" He's more gooder than good.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

We constantly get into these back and forth name-calling battles of who can make the most clever snide remarks.  Have any of you ever changed the mind of a single poster?  Topic after topic gets taken over by these back and forth arguments where everyone restates what has already been said time and again.  

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

We constantly get into these back and forth name-calling battles of who can make the most clever snide remarks.  Have any of you ever changed the mind of a single poster?  Topic after topic gets taken over by these back and forth arguments where everyone restates what has already been said time and again.  

and now you're restating about things being restated over and over again and not at all discussing the topic or baseball in general. Weird take, for sure. Would be a pretty dead forum if only entirely new thoughts and ideas were presented and never updated or restated, don't you think?

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Well, it is a bit much to defend TLR the manager simply because of his animal charity work...if that’s the criteria, why not Buehrle?

11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Many people admit they were wrong and change their minds on this site due to new information.  You are just not enjoying this discussion because you don't want to change your mind.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

It's so nice to see how you can be when you are civil.  You don't use the term "moronic" you just say I have poor judgment, I am laughable and lack awareness.   I brought up Tatis to show the idiocy of drawing conclusions about hall of fame people based on a 23 game sample size.  As for you taking my concise argument against hiring TLR and my concise argument for hiring him and expanding the negatives (without really adding anything) and suggesting somehow there is no validity to the positives without even discussing why a man's actual record is meaningless.  Again, as I have stated often, I did not want TLR...I just can understand why the White Sox would try him.  I was responding to Multiple gun Pete's claim that it was moronic (and his weirdly calling me out to dunk on me as if the case is closed) and I will respond to you describing what moronic means, saying that is what the team was doing without actually using the word.  There is only one strong argument against TLR (the drunk driving think is silly, 1% of drivers every year get DWI's...its personal bad judgment that I'm sure TLR is ashamed of...as I suspect you are ashamed of some of your posts).  The major question is that he is old, the game has passed him by and his managerial genius is gone.  Old is a relative thing.  TLR is at the average life expectancy for a man in 2021.  Casey Stengel was coach of the Yankees at the average life expectancy of a man in 1955 and then went to the WS five of the next six years.  Old does not mean incompetent...ask Behlicheck, ask Saban,  ask Popovich.  Honestly the only moronic position at this point is that the data is in and TLR is a failed manager because of a couple of in-game decisions that didn't work.  Neither you, nor I nor anyone else on this board have any idea what it takes to lead a team to a WS. TLR does and maybe he's old and the game has passed him by or maybe he's sly as a fox and is moving and shaping the team with early lessons that will cost games now but harden the team in the future...or maybe we've lost a couple of our favorite players for the season, we've lost a couple of heart breaking games...we've had a bunch of off days and rain outs and we want to beat up the manager because part of his job is to be the whipping boy.          

There are national reports that the players themselves are ALREADY questioning their manager, and the Sox manager has been the laughing stock of baseball multiple times and it is only May. Please save this narrative that it's just standard "blame the manager" nonsense that exists. Also, save us the narrative that it's normal to make a couple mistakes. If that were the case, LaRussa wouldn't be a national story and we wouldn't already have rumblings coming from this dugout. Remember in Rick Renteria's tenure, we never once heard of the players being unhappy or frustrated - with the lone exception being Keuchel saying everyone needed to be a bit more serious.

1. LaRussa was never a "genius." This perception is so broken. The guy won and went to a World Series with two of the more loaded teams of his generations.
2. What does life expectancy matter? Cognitive function decays as you age, this is simply not debatable. It's not based on life expectancy, but on duration of the brains life.
3. Belicheck and Saban are not even 70 years old. Tony LaRussa is 76. He's the oldest manager to be given a non-interim job in like 50 years (maybe longer).
4. The game has changed a little since Casey Stangel managed - not sure if you've noticed.
5. Everyone and their mother questioned the LaRussa hire when it was made, because it made no sense. Didn't fit the personality or the need of this team.
6. LaRussa had been in a front office for the previous 10 years and there had shown he really didn't know what he was doing. See the Arizona trades to the Braves and etc.

There was no defending the LaRussa hire. It went against everything the team claimed they wanted, and aspired to get. Since the hire, we learned he had a pending DUI and now his Animal Care Shelter is under scrutiny for - you guessed it - racist remarks and harassment. It also wasn't his first DUI, so this idea that he's "ashamed" so it doesn't matter is kind of nonsense. Being a MLB manager is a privilege, not a right. It is a job that should be earned, not given. LaRussa has looked lethargic and acted crotchety.

We do not need to wait until the end of the year. The teams production and results will not change how poor of a decision it was to hire Tony LaRussa. Bad managers can win World Series because the games are decided by the players 99.99% of the time. Sadly, this year, our manager has some managed to effect games in a negative way more than even most bad managers do. There was no justification for hiring Tony LaRussa outside of the owner wanting to put his friend in charge of his well oiled machine as a favor. Attempting to justify it may not be moronic, but it's certainly misguided and to me completely incomprehensible.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

Dismissing or downplaying DUI’s is never going to be a winning strategy, either.

Sure, many did it all the time before ride sharing services, and still take that risk.  If LaRussa was like Bill Belicheck or Nick Saban and still a master of his craft, then maybe it does get overlooked...not that it should.

And just like not everyone (including broadcasters) knows the arcane rules backwards and forwards...that’s not really the point, either.  He’s expected to be better.  And yes, many can take the planks out of their eyes before worrying about splinters in others...we get it, of course nobody is perfect, has never made a mistake or is infallible.

They should be better than message board in real time “first” and not second guessing well after the fact.  Don’t actively get in the way of your team’s opportunity to win. Is that really too much to ask for millions?

Edited by caulfield12

42 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Many people admit they were wrong and change their minds on this site due to new information.  You are just not enjoying this discussion because you don't want to change your mind.

Here, I'll tell this board about me being wrong, based on new information:

I thought that Rick Hahn just HAD TO fire Ricky Renteria. I now know that I was wrong about that. This team would be better off with Ricky Renteria as manager.

The only thing that Rick Hahn did by firing Renteria was to open the Pandora's Box of allowing an elderly man to hire his buddy. I now remember the old adage in business that sometimes a manager has to save his boss from himself. In firing Renteria, Hahn clearly failed to save his boss from himself.

And now, here we are.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

If you can't see the truth in what I said...you are already too far gone.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

It's so nice to see how you can be when you are civil.  You don't use the term "moronic" you just say I have poor judgment, I am laughable and lack awareness.   I brought up Tatis to show the idiocy of drawing conclusions about hall of fame people based on a 23 game sample size.  As for you taking my concise argument against hiring TLR and my concise argument for hiring him and expanding the negatives (without really adding anything) and suggesting somehow there is no validity to the positives without even discussing why a man's actual record is meaningless.  Again, as I have stated often, I did not want TLR...I just can understand why the White Sox would try him.  I was responding to Multiple gun Pete's claim that it was moronic (and his weirdly calling me out to dunk on me as if the case is closed) and I will respond to you describing what moronic means, saying that is what the team was doing without actually using the word.  There is only one strong argument against TLR (the drunk driving think is silly, 1% of drivers every year get DWI's...its personal bad judgment that I'm sure TLR is ashamed of...as I suspect you are ashamed of some of your posts).  The major question is that he is old, the game has passed him by and his managerial genius is gone.  Old is a relative thing.  TLR is at the average life expectancy for a man in 2021.  Casey Stengel was coach of the Yankees at the average life expectancy of a man in 1955 and then went to the WS five of the next six years.  Old does not mean incompetent...ask Behlicheck, ask Saban,  ask Popovich.  Honestly the only moronic position at this point is that the data is in and TLR is a failed manager because of a couple of in-game decisions that didn't work.  Neither you, nor I nor anyone else on this board have any idea what it takes to lead a team to a WS. TLR does and maybe he's old and the game has passed him by or maybe he's sly as a fox and is moving and shaping the team with early lessons that will cost games now but harden the team in the future...or maybe we've lost a couple of our favorite players for the season, we've lost a couple of heart breaking games...we've had a bunch of off days and rain outs and we want to beat up the manager because part of his job is to be the whipping boy.          

I said your thought was laughable. Which it was. Were you not the guy who repeatedly said I was "too stupid" to argue with? Maybe I have you mixed up with someone else.

And yes, it was poor judgment. You can be technical without name calling, and that's what this is. Sorry, no way around it. Thinking TLR was anything other than a bad hire was poor judgment.

In your long-winded wall of text that could have been simplified down to a small amount of sentences and constructed in a more readable and grammatically sound way, you really avoided even acknowledging most of the points I made. So yes, I have to believe you are either doing that on purpose or lack some comprehension.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh my.

1. Why would I make a ban bet based on two players not on the White Sox production over the next 10 years?

2. You are arguing Mookie Betts is a concern (.7 fWAR) despite a 7 year track record of being one of the best players in the world, but people showing concern over Tatis (.5 fWAR) are dopes and wrong despite Tatis barely playing more than an entire season worth of games in his career. Do you not see the irony in that? And before you argue games played, Betts has played TWO more games and out produced Tatis this year. The year where we should be concerned about Betts.

Oh and Tim Anderson wasn't paid 250 million dollars to be one of the best players in baseball and was known as a raw asset.

Thanks for playing.

That’s exactly what Tatis was when the White Sox signed him, a raw but clearly talented athlete/asset, but still valued on the free market at well less than $1 million.  By definition, a first round draft pick connotes an even higher level of expectation.  For example, Cheslor Cuthbert from Corn Island, Nicaragua, was paid nearly twice as much for a signing bonus, $1.5 million.

Exactly the type of raw asset that JR has always valued as less than “financial savings/subsidies in hand” throughout his tenure as White Sox owner.

But thanks for pointing out that Tim Anderson will getting paid close to $250 million at the end of the 2024 season, or roughly 3 1/2 times the value of the Yasmani Grandal contract.  Also, no longer a raw asset but a polished gem.