Jimmy Cordero...the forgotten breakout candidate

caulfield12

White Sox

Jimmy Cordero: The White Sox bullpen is stacked with intriguing pitchers about to embark on their first full seasons. We're highlighting Cordero because his bloated ERA (6.08 in 26 innings) tells a misleading story about his 2020. His sinker-slider combination suppressed contact at an elite rate last season, permitting him to rank in the 96th percentile of exit velocity. That didn't prevent him from allowing 11 hits per nine frames, but we don't think that will carry into the new year. As an added bonus, Cordero has the best short-sleeve game in the majors since the days of Joel Peralta.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-breakout-candidates-one-player-from-all-30-teams-whos-ready-to-step-up-in-2021-season/

• Like 1
  • Love 1

With the announcement of Kopech and Crochet starting the season in the pen and figuring a 13 man pitching staff? Dont really know how TLR will do it - not to mention what to do with Lopez?  Unless Cordero has a lights out spring he's the odd man out. No room on this staff. 

3 hours ago, smellysox said:

With the announcement of Kopech and Crochet starting the season in the pen and figuring a 13 man pitching staff? Dont really know how TLR will do it - not to mention what to do with Lopez?  Unless Cordero has a lights out spring he's the odd man out. No room on this staff. 

He has a minor league option remaining.   Likely they keep him starting every fifth day at Charlotte...they simply can’t afford to have 4/5 starters going 4+ innings each start, so Lopez at the very least can eat up those innings in blowout losses to save the key high leverage guys, and would next man up in the case of Cease/Rodon failures or injuries.

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

Engel not Eaton

He’s never been able to consistently hit well playing everyday against left and right handed pitching.

He has his hot stretches like all hitters, but relying on Engel to be a 775-825 ops hitter is not a recipe for success.   And he will get some infield hits due to his possessing Top 5 sprint speed...putting the ball up into the air is not his game, it’s getting on base and getting in opponent’s head.

Otherwise, if they believed in his everyday ability, no need for Eaton and that money invested in someone like Quintana instead.

Even with Jace Fry out there is only room for Cordero or Lopez not both. More likely that Cordero would be assigned to Charlotte as a starter. Fry being third bullpen lefty and injured might be headed for Charlotte. By May someone else could be ready for the IL. 

Watching him last year, he pitched a lot better than his numbers would indicate.  I remember him getting a lot of ground balls that were not fielded, which could or should have been fielded, and were not called errors.  Also a lot of grounders IIRC that may have been more defensive positioning issues.

Regardless the stuff is definitely there.  There are a lot of players in AAA and some on the 40-man that have nowhere near his ability, so might as well hang on to him and give him a shot.  He was initially really good after coming over from Washington IIRC.

Also, the Katz factor.  If anyone thinks Katz can help Lopez, then he certainly should be able to help Cordero.  Cordero is a whole lot closer to being "right" than Lopez is.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

He’s never been able to consistently hit well playing everyday against left and right handed pitching.

He has his hot stretches like all hitters, but relying on Engel to be a 775-825 ops hitter is not a recipe for success.   And he will get some infield hits due to his possessing Top 5 sprint speed...putting the ball up into the air is not his game, it’s getting on base and getting in opponent’s head.

Otherwise, if they believed in his everyday ability, no need for Eaton and that money invested in someone like Quintana instead.

I think the point is Engel won't be playing 145+ games

8 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I think the point is Engel won't be playing 145+ games

Just responding to the point about breakout candidate...to me, that means someone who is playing nearly everyday, at least for a position player.

We can say he might have one Brent Lillibridge season in him (and perhaps it was 2020 already), but that's not enough playing time IMO to declare him as a "breakout" when it's mostly a bench role.

11 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Renteria burnt Cordero into the ground, curious how he'd be if managed effectively but may not make the 26 man (shouldn't)

Renteria absolutely burned Cordero. Cordero is a good teammate and team guy. I think his roster spot is interesting given he's out of options. I would send Kopech down and start with Cordero but that's just me.

13 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Renteria burnt Cordero into the ground, curious how he'd be if managed effectively but may not make the 26 man (shouldn't)

Agree. I think he should stick around and get another chance with proper usage. 

32 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I've always assumed Kopech is going to start in the minors - but Sox are talking everything up (with probably some truth) - to mitigate any "service time" issues.  

There is really no good reason for Kopech to be on the OD roster.  While you can make a "good reason" argument for Vaughn, I would also state that he should be in the minors until late April as well.  

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is really no good reason for Kopech to be on the OD roster.  While you can make a "good reason" argument for Vaughn, I would also state that he should be in the minors until late April as well.  

I keep assuming we will see Vaughn sign an extension and that will kind of element that portion of the conversation - but if that doesn't happen - agree with you 100%.  

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Even Crochet has such a small hurdle to pass to accrue an additional year. That's not to say the Sox don't send these guys down during the year to "stretch them out" or something but it's a little curious that the Sox A) have basically said Crochet and Kopech will break with the team from camp and B) Vaughn is the DH in 2021. I think it's probably less about 
we're competing now and it's all "hands on deck" and more about avoiding any bad press/disruptions with the union coming into 2022.

Unless they get him an extension, Vaughn really shouldn't be in the MLB to start the year. Kopech hasn't pitched in competitive baseball in 2.5 years so it's entirely reasonable he doesn't break with the team. Crochet has a role and with Fry out he's kind of needed. I would have no qualms with him breaking with the team. 

On 2/28/2021 at 7:18 AM, caulfield12 said:

He’s never had the opportunity to hit consistently. Eaton could easily be pushed to fourth of/DH role. Maybe that’s why they got him instead of acquiring player that required more than a one year commitment

3 minutes ago, Vulture said:

He’s never had the opportunity to hit consistently. Eaton could easily be pushed to fourth of/DH role. Maybe that’s why they got him instead of acquiring player that required more than a one year commitment

Sure, it's a possibility.  But has the same relative likelihood as Collins/Mercedes/Sheets at DH, or Leury Garcia as a starter.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Sure, it's a possibility.  But has the same relative likelihood as Collins/Mercedes/Sheets at DH, or Leury Garcia as a starter.

I’d say it’s much more likely than that. None of those guys have Engel’s plus plus defense to fall back on, and none of them are behind injury prone stopgaps on the depth chart. Garcia lacks Engel’s power, the others lack his speed.