Giolito says there hasn't been talks on an extension

maxjusttyped

1 hour ago, Rowand44 said:

I'd assume this is the case.

It's a combination of too late, and to be honest, too risky. He's built up enough resume to demand a big offer, but not quite enough where you're comfortable giving him a ton of money.

25 minutes ago, mqr said:

It's a combination of too late, and to be honest, too risky. He's built up enough resume to demand a big offer, but not quite enough where you're comfortable giving him a ton of money.

Agree with this completely.  He has 250 very good innings, and a lot of garbage before that.  The history books are full of pitchers who were dominant for that length of time, and mediocre otherwise.

Hope that doesn't happen, but I wouldn't bet a nine digits in guaranteed money that it won't.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I bet he gets traded in 2024 but there is no rush until the new CBA to get anything done if you're the Sox.

I think that's even tough to do optically. Punt one of your aces during a World Series run? And then if someone is acquiring him that means they're a contender. So you're punting to a competitor. More likely he plays out his contract and then Jerry offers 5/150 or something while he goes out and gets 6/200. It will Machado 2.0 -- we made an effort "the money will be spent". etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I think that's even tough to do optically. Punt one of your aces during a World Series run? And then if someone is acquiring him that means they're a contender. So you're punting to a competitor. More likely he plays out his contract and then Jerry offers 5/150 or something while he goes out and gets 6/200. It will Machado 2.0 -- we made an effort "the money will be spent". etc. 

I think they can argue it would be a "retooling" depending on how Kopech and Cease and Crochett etc look at that point.  We'll see.  Way too much baseball to be played IMO to really  have any sort of strong opinion.

4 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I think it is safe to say that for better or worse the Sox have never given a moment of thought to optics when making decisions during the JR era.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

true, it will be fun baseball for the next 3-5 years regardless. I'll enjoy that and just hope we can keep it going like a cardinals team rather than a sell off like a royals

Didn't the Royals have like a 2 and a half year run? I think we get at least 4 or 5 years of contention. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Didn't the Royals have like a 2 and a half year run? I think we get at least 4 or 5 years of contention. 

They were very competitive in 2013, but no playoffs...especially second half, they really ended the season on a high point and then carried it on into the following year.

Two World Series in a row in 2014-15, then they REALLY spent a lot of money in 2016 and 2017.   Too many injuries, Gordon fell off the map, etc.  Let's not forget how the Yordano Ventura death set that franchise back, not unlike the Fernandez situation with the Marlins, he was always going to be their future ace and franchise pitcher.

Not unlike our 2005/06 situation.   They broke the franchise record for payrolls every year from 2013-2018, afaik.

• Like 1