2021-22 International Signing Period

Sleepy Harold

21 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Stop me if you've heard this before, but the White Sox aren't mentioned with any of these players.

It's frustrating. I'm hoping the White Sox try and steal some players. There are some really talented dudes with commitments for the period that would've started on July 2 2022 that could become available at some point after January 15 2022. The Yanks for example are giving a SS $4 million in the next period. They are tied to Cuban CF Brandon Mayea in what was supposed to be the period after that. They can't sign both players if they end up available in the next class. The entire international market is insane right now. 

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's frustrating. I'm hoping the White Sox try and steal some players. There are some really talented dudes with commitments for the period that would've started on July 2 2022 that could become available at some point after January 15 2022. The Yanks for example are giving a SS $4 million in the next period. They are tied to Cuban CF Brandon Mayea in what was supposed to be the period after that. They can't sign both players if they end up available in the next class. The entire international market is insane right now. 

When is the next Tatis brother hitting the market and do we still have a shot at him?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

When is the next Tatis brother hitting the market and do we still have a shot at him?

I have conflicting info on that. I have no idea how old the kid is. The White Sox are signing him though whenever that is. As of now, the next period is scheduled for July 2 2021. It's expected to be moved back though because current period would only be 6 months then. If that happens, the players with deals for this July wouldn't sign until next January. Then the players (who already have commitments) for J2 2022 wouldn't be able to sign until January 2023. Meanwhile, the collective bargaining agreement expires in December and there could be an international draft anyway. 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I have conflicting info on that. I have no idea how old the kid is. The White Sox are signing him though whenever that is. As of now, the next period is scheduled for July 2 2021. It's expected to be moved back though because current period would only be 6 months then. If that happens, the players with deals for this July wouldn't sign until next January. Then the players (who already have commitments) for J2 2022 wouldn't be able to sign until January 2023. Meanwhile, the collective bargaining agreement expires in December and there could be an international draft anyway. 

What is the actual name of this brother?  Video?

When this was mentioned before, the only record of another brother that matched was living in Florida and in his early 20’s and seemed to have no connection to playing at all (it would be a bit of a coincidence for such a long Spanish name to match exactly, but not impossible.)  There is only one sister in the family, that’s about the only thing one can verify online and through social media.  3-4 brothers.   Unless they were brothers with different mothers, but not sure how likely that is either.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-rave-about-prospect-elijah-tatis-brother-fernando-tatis-jr

They always mention Elijah as the younger brother...but not necessarily “the youngest.”  Seems almost impossible to find any scouting reports or information about Daniel Fernando online.

Fernando Tatis Jr. The son of Maria and Fernando Tatis Sr. His dad is a former 11-year MLB veteran infielder, widely known for hitting 2 grand slams in 1 inning on April 23, 1999 @ LAD (with STL) off Chan Ho Park... Has 3 brothers, Joshua, Elijiah and Daniel, and 1 sister, Maria.

https://www.instagram.com/tatisdanielfernando/?hl=en

So it’s Daniel Fernando Tatis.   Two really short videos of him hitting.  Definitely doesn’t have the height yet.

https://celebs.infoseemedia.com/fernando-tatis-jr/fernando-tatis-jr-brother-daniel-fernando-tatis/

https://celebs.infoseemedia.com/fernando-tatis-jr/fernando-tatis-jr-sister-maria-fernanda-tatis/

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Oh that's great for some reason I thought they made the jan 15 signing date permanent. Makes sense then on colas waiting, was only 7 months not 12 and you could get in some playing time this year.

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

Oh that's great for some reason I thought they made the jan 15 signing date permanent. Makes sense then on colas waiting, was only 7 months not 12 and you could get in some playing time this year.

It's very likely permanent. Just not announced. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 8:56 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He will likely sign in January 2022. Doesn't have a team yet. 

Could that explain why we aren't in on other players cause alot of money is being spent on Colas?

I have to wonder why Colas would sign with us though, if Cespedes is supposed to be on the fast track to being our RF in 2022.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

16 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Could that explain why we aren't in on other players cause alot of money is being spent on Colas?

I have to wonder why Colas would sign with us though, if Cespedes is supposed to be on the fast track to being our RF in 2022.

2022 is also the last year of Abreu's contract opening up 1B for Vaughn and DH for Eloy.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Rosters/projections all the time.

We all figured at least one of Basabe, Rutherford, Steele, Gonzalez, and Adolfo would be able to do something.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

2022 is also the last year of Abreu's contract opening up 1B for Vaughn and DH for Eloy.

Yes this is true but if Jose keeps producing and since he is a personal favorite of JR, I dont think he would be going anywhere. 

The lineup badly needs a couple legit LH bats. 

Colas in LF would be great but there's no room, esp if Jose isn't going anywhere.

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yes this is true but if Jose keeps producing and since he is a personal favorite of JR, I dont think he would be going anywhere. 

Colas in LF would be great but there's no room, esp if Jose isn't going anywhere.

They could sign him and figure it out later. He could always become a trade chip. This sort of stuff always sorts itself out.

8 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

The tough decision (and probably right decision) is if Vaughn and Eloy continue to develop and say Cespedes and Colas are the real deal (who knows), you'd have to et Abreu walk.. but again, there's lots of time before that decision needs to be made.  Who knows, Cespedes could suck or Colas could sign with the Padres.

6 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The tough decision (and probably right decision) is if Vaughn and Eloy continue to develop and say Cespedes and Colas are the real deal (who knows), you'd have to et Abreu walk.. but again, there's lots of time before that decision needs to be made.  Who knows, Cespedes could suck or Colas could sign with the Padres.

Or moving Jimenez to DH, which doesn't sound like it's going to happen anytime soon, unless he (knock on wood) gets hurt yet again playing defense.

Seems a pretty foregone conclusion that Abreu is definitely going to enter/hit his decline these next two years.

The possibility of Colas as reliever seems to be less of a pressing need with our current stable of left-handers, but who knows how long Crochet can last and whether simply being able to throw 94-96 and a looping slider is enough to succeed.

All things considered, though, at that price range, just ONE of Cespedes or Colas making it would be a HUGE win for the Sox.  Expecting both to succeed just isn't realistic.

10 hours ago, Flash said:

Are we assuming there is a DNA link to baseball performance ? 

There definitely is a link but not a strong one. The chance for a kid or brother of an MLB player to make MLB is a lot higher than for the general population but it is still not very high. 

The performance "window" is just super small so that just very few players have the genetic ability. 

But yes if you compare the athletic talent of The sons of an MLB player and let's say a random math teacher than most likely the son of the MLB player is more gifted. 

But pro players are so good that even a quad A player is like 99.9th percentile of athletic ability. 

In short: another brother of Tatis is much more likely to become a pro player than your or my kid but you can't predict whether he becomes Fernando Tatis or Gordon Beckham. 

Also apart from the genetic component a son of an MLB player like Tatis of course is more likely to learn baseball early and gets good instruction which helps their chance too. Still most sons of MLB players don't make MLB but obviously  sons of random people make MLB even more rarely. 

6 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

There definitely is a link but not a strong one. The chance for a kid or brother of an MLB player to make MLB is a lot higher than for the general population but it is still not very high. 

The performance "window" is just super small so that just very few players have the genetic ability. 

But yes if you compare the athletic talent of The sons of an MLB player and let's say a random math teacher than most likely the son of the MLB player is more gifted. 

But pro players are so good that even a quad A player is like 99.9th percentile of athletic ability. 

In short: another brother of Tatis is much more likely to become a pro player than your or my kid but you can't predict whether he becomes Fernando Tatis or Gordon Beckham. 

Also apart from the genetic component a son of an MLB player like Tatis of course is more likely to learn baseball early and gets good instruction which helps their chance too. Still most sons of MLB players don't make MLB but obviously  sons of random people make MLB even more rarely. 

Just a few reasons I immediately think of why sons of former players often seem to be so much better:

1) High level instruction is always available growing up

2) High level of personal confidence in personal ability is developed early on after having watched a family member succeed at the highest levels

3) Access to modern nutritional and medical advice

4) Lots of positive competitive pressure growing up, where a young player's peers play harder against him, etc. knowing that he's the son of so-and-so

5) Access to a higher level of competition via $$$ and family influence, etc.

6) More likely to focus on baseball vs. other sports growing up, or only play baseball growing up

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons also, but those reasons right there are enough to put a lot of talented players over the top and take them to far higher levels than their peers.

It would definitely make for an interesting study. You could take a sample size of say 100 of the all-time greats and pull data on parents and children.  Clearly Bobbie/Barry Bonds, father and son Griffey and the Alou family fit the description but the flip side is all the greats who came from non-athletic parents and how many, if any (other than the aforementioned), followed in Dad's footsteps. 

• 2 months later...