Andrew Vaughn Hype Thread

ron883

There's no doubt Vaughn is ready. I wish Jose would have kept his damn mouth shut, because this just adds more pressure onto the FO to not play service time games with Vaughn. We need that extra year. 

Sox fans have been waiting for one of those players that just mashes from the start. Robert had a great season, but fell off big time at the end. Vaughn is going to be that dude who mashes from the get go. Can't wait for him to get the call. Will he be up right after they get the extra year, or after the super 2 deadline?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

i know this is just a part of your anti-jose bit, but if the Sox need a year of extra service time from a 1B then they are even more embarrassing than I thought. Vaughn is going to be a star, but first basemen aren't getting 200+ million dollar deals these days.

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist commenting on the service time part, ray ray. Nevermind 200+ million. The Sox are reluctant to sign guys for 100mil. Being cheap wouldn't make them "more embarrassing". Everybody already knows how cheap the team is. The embarrassment is already there. 

They need to do what it takes to keep a star player under control for an extra year. It sucks, but not doing it puts them at a disadvantage. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist commenting on the service time part, ray ray. Nevermind 200+ million. The Sox are reluctant to sign guys for 100mil. Being cheap wouldn't make them "more embarrassing". Everybody already knows how cheap the team is. The embarrassment is already there. 

They need to do what it takes to keep a star player under control for an extra year. It sucks, but not doing it puts them at a disadvantage. 

I completely agree with you here. I don’t think Joses words mean or should mean Jacksquat but Vaughn and Kopech both absolutely need to be in AAA to start the year. And that doesn’t seem to be the current narrative, and that is.....shortsighted and dumb. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ron883 said:

There's no doubt Vaughn is ready. I wish Jose would have kept his damn mouth shut, because this just adds more pressure onto the FO to not play service time games with Vaughn. We need that extra year. 

Sox fans have been waiting for one of those players that just mashes from the start. Robert had a great season, but fell off big time at the end. Vaughn is going to be that dude who mashes from the get go. Can't wait for him to get the call. Will he be up right after they get the extra year, or after the super 2 deadline?

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I completely agree with you here. I don’t think Joses words mean or should mean Jacksquat but Vaughn and Kopech both absolutely need to be in AAA to start the year. And that doesn’t seem to be the current narrative, and that is.....shortsighted and dumb. 

This is nonsense. Don't have Hahn tell me they're "All in" for "Multiple World Series Championships", and dick around with service time games which may not even matter with the new CBA, especially in light of the fact the AAA season has been pushed to May at this point, may be pushed yet again. Talking about Vaughn, not Kopech.

Kopech should be kept back not for service time games, but to build up his arm as a starter, not another La Russa Bullpen Boy Toy.

• Like 3

That was a blast. Can u imagine LaRussa watching Vaughn hit that blast and thinking, "I've got THAT GUY in my lineup, too???" LaRussa is loaded with talent. I'm still a little skeptical on pitching but he's got some bats.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This is nonsense. Don't have Hahn tell me they're "All in" for "Multiple World Series Championships", and dick around with service time games which may not even matter with the new CBA, especially in light of the fact the AAA season has been pushed to May at this point, may be pushed yet again. Talking about Vaughn, not Kopech.

Kopech should be kept back not for service time games, but to build up his arm as a starter, not another La Russa Bullpen Boy Toy.

Do you want a guy for 15ish regular season games this year, or an entire extra season AND postseason 6 years from now? It's an easy choice for me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ron883 said:

Do you want a guy for 15ish regular season games this year, or an entire extra season AND postseason 6 years from now? It's an easy choice for me. 

1. Again, you are going off of the current CBA which expires this year. Players will prioritize this issue and these rules will likely change, rendering bullshit this year irrelevant.
  2. A much bigger concern burning 1 or more years of Kopech and Crochet in the bullpen to placate La Russa and cover for the fact the White Sox didn't add to it this off season.
  3. Playing service time games during tanking years make sense, putting your best team on the field during "championship seasons" also makes sense. 
  4. With AAA not starting until May at the earliest, there is no credible development reason to keep Vaughn down.
  5. As last year and every year proves, even one game in the standings can mean the difference from a Division Title or Wild Card, or making the playoffs or going home.
Edited by South Side Hit Men

I'm in the camp of Vaughn needs to be the starting DH on Opening Day.

1) Sox didn't acquire anybody else to be the DH so there's a hole in the lineup for the first two weeks without him and the Sox need to win every game they can

2) Either due to a CBA change or a contract extension, there's a good chance the service time issue will go away anyway

• Thanks 2

Vaughn definitely looks ready, he doesn't chase and is on time when he gets a fat one like in this Homer. 

I still think they should keep him down those two weeks, if they can't survive two weeks of Collins or Mercedes at DH they weren't ready anyway. 

I once did the math and even having a 70 wrc+ guy at DH for two weeks only costs like. 3 war assuming Vaughn is a 3 war player which is optimistic (I would be fine if Vaughn is a 110 wrc+/1.5 war DH his first season). 

So we are talking trading 0.3 wins for 3 future wins, I. E a net gain of 2.7 wins. Easy choice. 

• Like 2

I just keep think of how this was the year that the Cubs fought so hard to keep Kris Bryant for.

If he can help win now, I'd rather get the good will and keep a happy clubhouse culture in place. You look even better in light of places like the Cubs and Seattle

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I'm in the camp of Vaughn needs to be the starting DH on Opening Day.

1) Sox didn't acquire anybody else to be the DH so there's a hole in the lineup for the first two weeks without him and the Sox need to win every game they can

2) Either due to a CBA change or a contract extension, there's a good chance the service time issue will go away anyway

I feel like that shouldn't effect guys currently in the MLB though. Guys called up prior to any changes in the CBA and service time should be grandfathered in under old rules in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

See, this is an actual interesting thought.  

No it isn’t, not one iota. Luca$ is going to get paid. If he continues like this for a few years, he is on a path to a Gerrit Cole quality contract. Being nice to Vaughn isn’t going to change the situation for him. If you want an extension, you need to offer him a fair deal that makes sense for him to take.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

I feel like that shouldn't effect guys currently in the MLB though. Guys called up prior to any changes in the CBA and service time should be grandfathered in under old rules in my opinion.

Those guys are voting members of the union, so if there’s going to be a change in rules, those guys will have a say in accepting it.

54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not sending Vaughn to the alternate site for two weeks is completely irresponsible if you’re running this franchise.  That being said, just extend the kid and make this a moot point.

This. It’s really that simple.

• Like 2

You may think that the Sox are the cheapest organization in the history of professional sports but they have not played the service time game.  They brought up Kopech when they had zero reason to.

I am not certain how Crochet works with his limited time but if that clock is ticking there is another one.

I think they sign him long term once things normalize....then I think they look at Lynn and Gio.

• Like 1