Andrew Vaughn Hype Thread

ron883

6 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

White Sox have made the playoffs 10 times in 121 years and fans out here talking about sacrificing value this year because maybe in 6 years the team might be OK.

100% 

However, ownership hadn't treated this offseason as if they are actually going for it so it matters less.

I'm willing to sacrifice the like, 10 games. Although I would prefer he was extended and on the roster day 1.

Edit: just looked at the schedule and realized they don't have many days off early. But of course, that can change due to weather and COVID.

Edited by manbearpuig

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, the right decision is to extend him, but I do wonder if they offered him something like Eloy's extension if they might not hit a brick wall where his side says "you gave Robert significantly more money why are you lowballing us" and that winds up being the roadblock.

Robert is a legit five tool CF

4 hours ago, Vulture said:

I was leaving pitchers out of it. It’s hard to say how much Rodons failings have had to do with elbow issues. I’m going to wait to see how he rebounds after TJS rehabilitation before I consider him a bust anyway

Beckham

Viciedo

Marcus Semien (with White Sox)

Brian Anderson

Those are the main "busts" from the last decade plus.   Rowand and Crede are about all we produced internally for almost a decade, and it took them a good 2-3 seasons to win the starting jobs.   Of course, Joe Borchard comes to mind, but now we're going back almost 20 years.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You know we can trade him in six years even if the team sucks right?

That said, look at where the Cubs are with their four "studs."

Bryant and Baez have substantially diminished value.  They could still get a really nice return for Contreras, but certainly not what it would have been from 2016-18.  

They got nothing out of Schwarber and Almora, and the Soler for Davis deal went the wrong way as well.  Happ is pretty much the only prospect who's still remaining from those classes, unless you count Bote.

Then they pretty much have to keep Rizzo and Hendricks to have at least two established Cubs' veterans to market.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That said, look at where the Cubs are with their four "studs."

Bryant and Baez have substantially diminished value.  They could still get a really nice return for Contreras, but certainly not what it would have been from 2016-18.  

They got nothing out of Schwarber and Almora, and the Soler for Davis deal went the wrong way as well.  Happ is pretty much the only prospect who's still remaining from those classes, unless you count Bote.

Then they pretty much have to keep Rizzo and Hendricks to have at least two established Cubs' veterans to market.

It’s a complete shit show of trash over there.  The 20s will be glorious

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

White Sox have made the playoffs 10 times in 121 years and fans out here talking about sacrificing value this year because maybe in 6 years the team might be OK.

6 years is greater than 5 years

• Like 1

I hope the Sox really lockdown Vaughn (and Madrigal) with a long-term extension but he should be on the roster on opening day. 

Even if he makes the OD roster, it's not like the Sox can't extend him after that. There's no real deadline for getting an extension done, I think that's bring lost in the conversation around this topic.

While the organization is focused on winning as many games as possible, I don't want the organization to lose focus on player development and stop locking down young guys with long-term extensions. 

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

I hope the Sox really lockdown Vaughn (and Madrigal) with a long-term extension but he should be on the roster on opening day. 

Even if he makes the OD roster, it's not like the Sox can't extend him after that. There's no real deadline for getting an extension done, I think that's bring lost in the conversation around this topic.

While the organization is focused on winning as many games as possible, I don't want the organization to lose focus on player development and stop locking down young guys with long-term extensions. 

Madrigal should be in that category with Kopech/Cease/Crochet where you see exactly where they are at performance and health-wise after this season is over.

Any/all efforts should be directed at Giolito (seems unlikely) or Vaughn right now.

• Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Madrigal should be in that category with Kopech/Cease/Crochet where you see exactly where they are at performance and health-wise after this season is over.

Any/all efforts should be directed at Giolito (seems unlikely) or Vaughn right now.

1B don't really have high value on the open market anymore, unless they're just superstars. I think with regard to an extension, you focus on Giolito and if that's not possible then wait until everyone else proves themselves. I don't see Madrigal being hugely valuable unless he starts hitting .340+ with regularity. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Agree, and the Sox haven't had the best of records on second basemen recent decades. I'm pretty confident about Madrigal being a team glue guy that may captain the team some day,  and play D. But he doesn't seem like a can't miss in terms of being worth a big up front deal in an era that doesn't emphasise batting average.  Like, I'm not sure he becomes a mega contract guy on his next deal if the team just let it play out.

Edited by Fernando Tatis Jr
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

1B don't really have high value on the open market anymore, unless they're just superstars. I think with regard to an extension, you focus on Giolito and if that's not possible then wait until everyone else proves themselves. I don't see Madrigal being hugely valuable unless he starts hitting .340+ with regularity. 

Yes, only if you have one of those "generational" talents at that position, rather than roughly league average.  Then giving an early extension really isn't worth it, especially without plus defense to go with it.

If he's a Frank Thomas or even Abreu (granted, the middle part of his Sox career didn't live up to the first two years until 2020)...then you have to pursue it.

Yes, pretty obvious observations.  The problem, of course, is not knowing how close he's going to eventually end up to those two (now) historical Sox names.

1 minute ago, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

Agree, and the Sox haven't had the best of records on second basemen recent decades. I'm pretty confident about Madrigal being a team glue guy that may captain the team some day,  and play D. But he doesn't seem like a can't miss in terms of being worth a big up front deal in an era that doesn't emphasise batting average.  Like, I'm not sure he becomes a mega contract guy on his next deal if the team just let it play out.

Kolten Wong was a decent comp in terms of value.  The type of player you really need, who isn't worth something like $8-9 million in arbitration to a mid-market team like the Cardinals but certainly provides a good value to those Top 10-12 teams payroll-wise who can afford to carry a salary like that.   Ironic, is that the Brewer generally run an even tighter ship financially than the Cardinals.  In that case, seemed they prioritized keeping the likes of Wainright and Molina in the fold.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yes, only if you have one of those "generational" talents at that position, rather than roughly league average.  Then giving an early extension really isn't worth it, especially without plus defense to go with it.

If he's a Frank Thomas or even Abreu (granted, the middle part of his Sox career didn't live up to the first two years until 2020)...then you have to pursue it.

Yes, pretty obvious observations.  The problem, of course, is not knowing how close he's going to eventually end up to those two (now) historical Sox names.

^^^^ Well I had no problem with people looking at him as a possible Paul Goldschmidt type of potential (if you wanted to look at other right handed first basemen), but again, we're talking about a much smaller player than  Paul Goldschmidt.  Vaighn has some proving to do at his size. Definately optimistic, but again, I wouldn't want to be too ready to hand out big  rookie deals to players that don't fit classic  physical profiles. That's where the line should be drawn, and more of a wait/see approach is used. I get the year of service issues. But there is less given upside than with some other players the Sox have done like this. 

Edited by Fernando Tatis Jr

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Beckham

Viciedo

Marcus Semien (with White Sox)

Brian Anderson

Those are the main "busts" from the last decade plus.   Rowand and Crede are about all we produced internally for almost a decade, and it took them a good 2-3 seasons to win the starting jobs.   Of course, Joe Borchard comes to mind, but now we're going back almost 20 years.

The only one of those even close as a prospect to Eloy, Moncada, Robert and Vaughn was Beckham but he too wasn’t that highly rated. The question was “sure thing” prospects not panning out not pretty good prospects not panning out

Edited by Vulture

BTW even if it is unlikely I think if yermin continues to rake like this they should put him at DH for two weeks until Vaughn is "ready". 

I don't think yermin is the second coming of miggy Cabrera and his hitting might be worse in the majors but he has nothing but hit so far and I think at least he wouldn't be terrible. He also has more than earned his shot. 

So why not bring him up, see what you got for 2 or 3 weeks and then trade him when Vaughn comes up?

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

BTW even if it is unlikely I think if yermin continues to rake like this they should put him at DH for two weeks until Vaughn is "ready". 

I don't think yermin is the second coming of miggy Cabrera and his hitting might be worse in the majors but he has nothing but hit so far and I think at least he wouldn't be terrible. He also has more than earned his shot. 

So why not bring him up, see what you got for 2 or 3 weeks and then trade him when Vaughn comes up?

He has absolutely and undisputedly, earned a DH spot, just sadly won't be with us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1