Andrew Vaughn Hype Thread

ron883

12 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Doesn't mean much but spencer torkelson so far is hitless in 11 PAs with 3 walks and 5 Ks. 

Not quite comparable to Vaughn who is a year older and least had a season in A ball and a full alternate site season but so far Vaughn looks better than torkelson. 

Tork still has more raw power potential but Vaughn could have a better hit tool, he struck out less in college too (75k, 123 bb vs 104 Ks and 110 bb in about 100 less PAs for Tork). 

If he can play 3rd, it would be a tough call to choose. 

23 minutes ago, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

If he can play 3rd, it would be a tough call to choose. 

I think he probably can play third in a way young miggy Cabrera did, I. E you can put him there occasionally and he fields balls directly at him and throw them to first. 

I don't think he is a capable full time third baseman by any stretch, that probably is more of an experiment 

59 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

He will probably catch like 30 games, la Russa played molina 130+ games at catcher and will do so with grandal

1. Molina was in his 20s under La Russa.
  2. Grandal can play 1B and DH for rest to keep his bat in the lineup.
  3. He's had a few injuries last year and already this Spring. At age 32, 100 games at catcher and another 40-50 at 1B/DH is wise to preserve his health, productivity and bat for October.

I see the backups playing 60 games, with Grandal catching 4-5 games per week and 1B/DH for many of the others to reach 145-150 games played assuming no IR stint or nagging long term injuries.

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:
  1. Molina was in his 20s under La Russa.
  2. Grandal can play 1B and DH for rest to keep his bat in the lineup.
  3. He's had a few injuries last year and already this Spring. At age 32, 100 games at catcher and another 40-50 at 1B/DH is wise to preserve his health, productivity and bat for October.

I see the backups playing 60 games, with Grandal catching 4-5 games per week and 1B/DH for many of the others to reach 145-150 games played assuming no IR stint or nagging long term injuries.

I would definitely bet on Grandal catching more than 100 games.

On 3/8/2021 at 5:43 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, short of injury there is minimal chance he doesn’t catch 120+ games.

Hard to say.  120 is a lot for a catcher who would also catch a lot in the post season. These guys have to get used to the grind of a 162 game schedule again and many will need rest and catcher more so than any position player on the field .

If I had to set an over/under on it I'd say 108 starts at catcher for Grandal. I think more people would bet on the under since injury is always a concern and his knees are already barking.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

11 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hard to say.  120 is a lot for a catcher who would also catch a lot in the post season. These guys have to get used to the grind of a 162 game schedule again and many will need rest and catcher more so than any position player on the field .

If I had to set an over/under on it I'd say 108 starts at catcher for Grandal. I think more people would bet on the under since injury is always a concern and his knees are already barking.

Definitely a minor concern right now.  Whomever earns buc, the others shouldn't be traded unless its an incredible offer.   There's a few factors that could make a catcher-by-committee scenario not outside the realm of possibility.  I'm not "doom & gloomin", just saying we have good catcher depth, let's keep it until the season plays out a bit.

Torkelson finally got his first hit but he is 1 for 17 with 10 Ks and 3 walks. 

I wouldn't be worried about 1 for 17 if I was a tigers fan but 10 Ks in 20 PAs clearly shows that he is not ready at all and probably won't be ready until mid 2022.Vaughn on the other hand looks pretty good, hitting 300 with good plate discipline and decent strikeout numbers (16% so far this spring, if he can keep that under 20 this season it would be great). 

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Torkelson finally got his first hit but he is 1 for 17 with 10 Ks and 3 walks. 

I wouldn't be worried about 1 for 17 if I was a tigers fan but 10 Ks in 20 PAs clearly shows that he is not ready at all and probably won't be ready until mid 2022.Vaughn on the other hand looks pretty good, hitting 300 with good plate discipline and decent strikeout numbers (16% so far this spring, if he can keep that under 20 this season it would be great). 

Thanks for the random weekly Torkelson update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

On 3/19/2021 at 5:13 AM, caulfield12 said:

Wilson Betemit and Ryan Sweeney should be in the HoF.

Buddy Bradford a long time ago was a Spring Training sensation for two or three seasons in a row. Never amounted to much during the season. When I think of spring sensations he just always comes to mind. Late 1960s.

16 minutes ago, MnSoxFan said:

Buddy Bradford a long time ago was a Spring Training sensation for two or three seasons in a row. Never amounted to much during the season. When I think of spring sensations he just always comes to mind. Late 1960s.

In my younger days, I was optimistic.  I thought Bradford was going to be a star.🙂

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Arozarena and Kelenic are problems, but Vaughn has some pretty favorable odds for AL ROY.

I was just looking at that! If you look at the past decade or so of winners most are hitters ... add in that Vaughn is a power hitter? I feel like the home run is favored by voters. A top 4 team in the AL, a great offense ... maybe a full season with the team? It all lines up very well. Kelenic might be June before he actually gets the call so he's playing from behind. Arozarena is tough .... he's definitely got the leg up. 

Kopech even has nice odds if you look at Devin Williams winning last year. Probably tougher over 162, but at the same time Kopech was one of the top favorites going into last year, so his current odds are nice.

On the NL side i really like Dylan Carlson at +900

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

I was just looking at that! If you look at the past decade or so of winners most are hitters ... add in that Vaughn is a power hitter? I feel like the home run is favored by voters. A top 4 team in the AL, a great offense ... maybe a full season with the team? It all lines up very well. Kelenic might be June before he actually gets the call so he's playing from behind. Arozarena is tough .... he's definitely got the leg up. 

Kopech even has nice odds if you look at Devin Williams winning last year. Probably tougher over 162, but at the same time Kopech was one of the top favorites going into last year, so his current odds are nice.

On the NL side i really like Dylan Carlson at +900

Good points and I too like Carlson