Andrew Vaughn Hype Thread

ron883

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 6:33 PM, joesaiditstrue said:

I have a feeling Vaughn isn't gonna have the typical rookie slump, it seems like his bat to ball skill is very polished from everything I've read and seen

still think it's a huge oversight to put him at a new position

If you want what's best for the team the only way to make up for the Eloy loss is to have him in LF and Yermin and Collins get DH AB's. Hopefully in the 5/6 months Eloy is gone they can muster up a decent OBP between them all and around 10+ HR's.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not at all worried about Vaughn long term and even short term but I don't quite understand why he was brought up on opening day. He murdered the first two weeks of spring but the last two weeks when pitchers noticed that the better pitch him away he was just OK and didn't do that much damage and strikeouts increased too. 

That is no knock on him, he barely has any high minors experience and only had simulated at bats last year but the way yermin and collins had been hitting they could have easily taken that extra year of control. 

I think he will adjust this year already and be OK but I'm not sure if he is already dominant enough to absolutely need him in the lineup. 

Maybe if yermin keeps hitting and he has not turned it around by end of April send him down a month to triple A to get the extra year. 

I still think he will be OK and get his first hit soon but I think currently his power is mostly on the inside of the plate and he is a bit challenged away. In college and the minors he could just wait for his pitch but in mlb pitchers can throw away consistently and I think until he improves that he is more of a. 275 with 20 Homers guy who occasionally destroys a mistake. 

But if he improves on driving the outside pitch too he can be really dangerous and be a 30+ Homer hitter. 

Edited by Dominikk85

I hope Engel returns soon. There isn't any good option out there now, and no, Vaughn is not an adequate  LFer. He can shag routine fly balls but that doesn't mean he will make the more difficult plays that are expected of a major league outfielder.

4 hours ago, tray said:

I hope Engel returns soon. There isn't any good option out there now, and no, Vaughn is not an adequate  LFer. He can shag routine fly balls but that doesn't mean he will make the more difficult plays that are expected of a major league outfielder.

He can’t be any worse than Eloy. Truthfully. 

On 4/4/2021 at 11:13 AM, tray said:

I agree that he would be vastly inferior to Engel in the field but he needs experience in the field because he is gonna have to hold down that spot until Jose retires, even if he sort of sucks at it, since Eloy's bat is too important to risk ever putting him in the field again. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

On 4/6/2021 at 4:45 PM, Texsox said:

Vaughn and Mercedes are combined 12 for 27. You gotta love the rookies.

22 for 56, down a little but still a sizzling .393 average. Now with a defensive gem and a post game, dugout sprint highlight to throw in.

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

22 for 56, down a little but still a sizzling .393 average. Now with a defensive gem and a post game, dugout sprint highlight to throw in.

Lol why are you combing them and saying it’s “sizzling” as if Vaughn isn’t struggling and hitting .167? Don’t get me wrong, it’s very early and I still have plenty of faith in Vaughn...just a very strange way to try and frame it

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Lol why are you combing them and saying it’s “sizzling” as if Vaughn isn’t struggling and hitting .167? Don’t get me wrong, it’s very early and I still have plenty of faith in Vaughn...just a very strange way to try and frame it

He could go 4 for his next 4 a with a walk and all of a sudden be hitting  .318 with an OBP of .483. I'm just wondering what's a reasonable amount of AB's before we can make any kind of statement on thinking he deserves less playing time. If he's hitting .200 after 100 AB's , 1 HR and a .350 OBP is that enough to be sent down or will he be sent down if he continues on his current path before then ? Does he still deserve the bulk of the playing time in LF over Engel when he comes back or does that depend on his stats after the next week ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He could go 4 for his next 4 a with a walk and all of a sudden be hitting  .318 with an OBP of .483. I'm just wondering what's a reasonable amount of AB's before we can make any kind of statement on thinking he deserves less playing time. If he's hitting .200 after 100 AB's , 1 HR and a .365 OBP is that enough to be sent down or will he be sent down if he continues on his current path before then ? Does he still deserve the bulk of the playing time in LF over Engel when he comes back ?

“Don’t get me wrong, it’s very early and I still have plenty of faith in Vaughn”

That was in my post. Not sure if you’re criticizing me or genuinely asking? But I think starting him on the opening day roster was as close to pushing the chips all in...can’t pull them back on the flop, gotta see it through. For me that would be at least until the end of May getting regular AB’s. If after 150 AB’s he’s still late on 93 mph fastballs right down the middle like he was last night I’ll start questioning what’s wrong and call for someone else to get playing time

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

“Don’t get me wrong, it’s very early and I still have plenty of faith in Vaughn”

That was in my post. Not sure if you’re criticizing me or genuinely asking? But I think starting him on the opening day roster was as close to pushing the chips all in...can’t pull them back on the flop, gotta see it through. For me that would be at least until the end of May getting regular AB’s. If after 150 AB’s he’s still late on 93 mph fastballs right down the middle like he was last night I’ll start questioning what’s wrong and call for someone else to get playing time

Not criticizing at all. I genuinely would like to know how often he should be playing if he continues on his current path if the Sox continue to be  around .500. Obviously other guys have to step up too . It doesn't help the Sox win at all if Moncada and Abreu don't start hitting too and we should get a better idea on Vaughn's fielding if we wait until the end of May. Right now we've hardly seen him going to his right toward the corner or the foul line . The Sox are getting great starting pitching but while the offense is stagnant the more defense we get the more it helps the pitchers keep run totals down .

Engel provides much better defense and even if I were willing to say Vaughn is better offensively than Engel ( which I'm not ) it's hard to justify keeping a sub par bat in the lineup who also doesn't provide anything but average defense . There will be games when the Sox pitching gets rocked and we will see more chances for Vaughn in the OF and God help him if he starts looking below average in the OF while still struggling at the plate.

When does that faith in Vaughn over ride what's best for the team ? I think Vaughn will become a good hitter but it is possible that time isn't now and the Sox may not want to keep developing him at this level while they are supposed to be trying to make the playoffs . If the other guys were hitting and the Sox start winning more often it will take some pressure off Vaughn and the Sox could still keep him in the lineup.

I don't want to see it but there might come a time earlier than the end of May that it becomes apparent that Schaumburg was no substitute for AA and AAA and his fielding is hurting the team. There is already enough bad defense to say we can carry more of it.

14 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

By the way ,Texsox was being sarcastic if you look at the Achieving Multiple Sarcasms on his avatar.