Cespedes

Chicago White Sox

Alright guys, this thread will serve a dual purpose.  First, there are some rumors the Sox are in the mix for Yoenis.  How would you feel about adding him to the OF/DH mix?

Second, Al’s Beefy is pushing the narrative that Yoelqui will move fast and is expected to be the starting RF next year.  Do you guys buy that?

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright guys, this thread will serve a dual purpose.  First, there are some rumors the Sox are in the mix for Yoenis.  How would you feel about adding him to the OF/DH mix?

Second, Al’s Beefy is pushing the narrative that Yoelqui will move fast and is expected to be the starting RF next year.  Do you guys buy that?

If Yoelqui dominates, I could see him getting a shot next year.  But that will be up to him adapting and competing 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If Yoelqui dominates, I could see him getting a shot next year.  But that will be up to him adapting and competing 

I’m really excited about Yoelqui and think he might surprise people in RF.  Hopefully he hits the ground running as it would be great to have another OF option heading into the offseason.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I see no reason to bring in Yoenis.  I'd be fine if it was a minor league deal, but if they have a few extra mill to spend, they should have brought in another SP instead.  

I personally think he’d be a decent add.  Given the injury histories of Eloy & Eaton, I think having another corner OF type on the cheap makes some sense, even if his defensive prowess has greatly diminished since his peak days.  Also, it provides us some Vaughn instance as well.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I see no reason to bring in Yoenis.  I'd be fine if it was a minor league deal, but if they have a few extra mill to spend, they should have brought in another SP instead.  

this is where I am at.  I'd be fine with a small deal to DH for a few weeks then become a backup for Eloy when he runs into a wall. But yeah, if it isn't a small deal, I don't see it

I just don't see a fit unless he platoons with Eaton or something, which I highly doubt he will do. Only real spot would be splitting DH and LF with Eloy but with them pretty much giving Vaughn the DH spot...I just don't see it happening. Unless they change their mind about Vaughn and have him start in AAA or something.

17 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

this is where I am at.  I'd be fine with a small deal to DH for a few weeks then become a backup for Eloy when he runs into a wall. But yeah, if it isn't a small deal, I don't see it

Right. Not a lot of flexibility with him on roster. I was surprised to see he has never played RF in the majors.

I'm all for it.  I would have preferred a pitcher as well, but that ship has seemingly sailed. I think you could find him enough ABs by rotating through him through giving Eloy, Eaton, Vaughn and Abreu (with Vaughn at 1B) and maybe even occasionally in RF with Eaton in CF to give Robert a day (rarely seems best here).  Cespedes can really hit.  If he is cheap, and you aren't really counting on him as a big middle of the order bat (because he isn't reliable) I'd give him a shot.  If you get good Cespedes, he could really make a difference, if he is hurt or bad, well you didn't really need him anyways.

• Like 2

We signed Mat Latos for like $4mm right? And Ervin Santana got a few million from us. That's this - but with better upside. Though that said I would've liked him in camp two weeks ago if we were doing the signing. Every day that goes by I like it less and less. 

13 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

We signed Mat Latos for like $4mm right? And Ervin Santana got a few million from us. That's this - but with better upside. Though that said I would've liked him in camp two weeks ago if we were doing the signing. Every day that goes by I like it less and less. 

Santana got less than that - his contract allowed him to be cut very early in the season at a much lower cost. Spotrac thinks he got $716k.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/kansas-city-royals/ervin-santana-450/cash-earnings/

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/04/white-sox-designate-ervin-santana-for-assignment.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m really excited about Yoelqui and think he might surprise people in RF.  Hopefully he hits the ground running as it would be great to have another OF option heading into the offseason.

I am equally excited about Yoelqui.  I believe Paddy said back in January he’s close to MLB-ready.  

The only thing that caught my eye recently was where he landed on Fangraphs Top 34 prospects list for the Sox.  He came in at #25, so I’m trying to understand just what kind of talent he actually is.  I thought as #1 on the international prospects list we were getting another blue chip, elite talent and that he’d easily be somewhere in the top ten, but apparently Fangraphs doesn’t think so.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

I am equally excited about Yoelqui.  I believe Paddy said back in January he’s close to MLB-ready.  

The only thing that caught my eye recently was where he landed on Fangraphs Top 34 prospects list for the Sox.  He came in at #25, so I’m trying to understand just what kind of talent he actually is.  I thought as #1 on the international prospects list we were getting another blue chip, elite talent and that he’d easily be somewhere in the top ten, but apparently Fangraphs doesn’t think so.  

Yeah, I too got confused and less-excited.  I have no idea what to think anymore hah

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Longenhagen based on his ranking on one set of appearances and Cespedes didn’t perform well then.  Additionally, the kid has transformed his body and swing since leaving Cuba, so some evaluators believe he has vastly more potential than the previous consensus.  There is a reason to get hyped behind Yoelqui.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

6 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

To me he's just an older guy for whatever level they put him at and will be watching his 1st 3 months closely. I'm guessing A+ and hoping he can get to AA by mid season . AAA by end of year I'd be surprised.

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I thoght the Eaton move was pure bridge to a Colas (at the time)/or Yoelkis (now) type of player.  That's how the Sox operate imo.

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He may have got the narrative from Getz who said the goal is to get him in the pros and see where he ends up in 2021.  So that’s completely in line with expectations if all goes well at his age.

Okay, I'll deal with the second question on this thread first: When the Sox signed Yoelqui and Marco Paddy bragged him up as MLB ready, I made the prediction/ hope that he'd be our starting right fielder in 2022. I am going to stick with that. 

Now the question of Yoenis is very interesting. On one hand, I can't think of a place or clubhouse where he'd have a better chance of success, with his step-brother in the organization and all the fellow Cubans to welcome him. And he has serious potential; he could be a real powerful bat in the order, could be . . . He could be a 30 or more home run guy in the order. 

But . . . with his age and leg/feet problems (can't remember which one it is), can you realistically think he can play in the outfield?  I don't know about this? So really, if  you're signing him, you're signing a right handed DH. If you do that, and it works out, you're sending Vaughn down to the minors this year. Which for many reasons may or may not be good. 

I would say look at him, especially to see if he can still run, at least some, and be able to play outfield. If he can play some outfield, I would give him a performance loaded minor league offer and see how it goes. If he can't play in the outfield, at least some, I say go with Vaughn at DH. 

But still staying with my prediction, Yoelqui in RF in 2022.