Cespedes

Chicago White Sox

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I didn't forget that and didn't discount it. That's why he'll get he'll play in MLB this year.DO you think if he hit's .270 BA .350 OBP and .800 OPS an extension will be much more expensive next year vs. doing it now ?

Would you ask for more money if you came into the league and belonged immediately?  It's cost control.  Again, if they feel his bat plays in the majors and they can get him to a deal that both sides like, why is that a problem?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

If Yoelqui is slated to move through the minors at such a blistering pace, why isnt he rated that highly on prospect lists?  I've seen like #160ish overall

If he has lost a step, relegated to corner with all the muscle added, and now he is incapable of CF, that could be one added reason to get gigged.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Would you ask for more money if you came into the league and belonged immediately?  It's cost control.  Again, if they feel his bat plays in the majors and they can get him to a deal that both sides like, why is that a problem?

It's not a problem at all. My point is I don't see an extension coming before the season starts. If you see it differently more power to you.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's not a problem at all. My point is I don't see an extension coming before the season starts. If you see it differently more power to you.

The insider posted on twitter that they were discussing an extension so it's not that wild to think it will happen.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I didn't forget that and didn't discount it. That's why he'll get to play in MLB this year.Do you think if he hit's .270 BA .350 OBP and .800 OPS an extension will be much more expensive next year vs. doing it now ?

Yes.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nope not wild at all. If it happens great . I just don't think it will. I'm always open to the possibility I can be wrong.

I mean, it kind of seems like you don't feel like it should happen.   Because minor league experience and all

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

I mean, it kind of seems like you don't feel like it should happen.   Because minor league experience and all

I laid out a number of reasons why I thought it was unlikely to happen. I'm not going to post it was a bad idea if it does happen . Don't see why you're belaboring the point. I've agreed with just about everyone who suggested it could happen. I didn't say anyone was crazy for wanting it . I'm just interested in how much different an extension would look giving it this year or next year if he had the kind of season I said.

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I laid out a number of reasons why I thought it was unlikely to happen. I'm not going to post it was a bad idea if it does happen . Don't see why you're belaboring the point. I've agreed with just about everyone who suggested it could happen. I didn't say anyone was crazy for wanting it . I'm just interested in how much different an extension would look giving it this year or next year if he had the kind of season I said.

Wait a second, I'm not belaboring any point here, you brought it up.  All I'm doing is asking why you feel there is no good reason to do that now, not why you feel like it's unlikely to happen.  Those are not the same question.  You mention an extension is guaranteed money, of course it is.  And if he comes up with your .270/.350/.800 number, would you not feel that it was smart to lock him up?  Is it not a good idea to lock up your young good players and avoid acrimony through the arb process?

• Like 1

The closer a young player gets to FA (6 years vs 5 years) and the better he performs, the more expensive the back end of the extension becomes, and the less likely there are extra TO years after the arb period.  Right now the Sox are certainly looking at 2 years control and maybe trying to bargain for 3 years control after FA.  But if he comes up and rakes this year, now maybe it's tough to get 2 extra years control, impossible to get 3, and maybe they'd have to settle for 1.

If the Sox put him on an extension early, they won't be paying him as a superstar in arb, but if he isn't extended and does perform like a superstar, then the back end of the arb process is way more expensive and they'll also be forced to pay more money in the FA years.

Any time you sign a player for millions of dollars and multiple years, you are betting on a lot.  Of all of the kinds of players to bet on being great, Vaughn tops my list.  He's a much safer bet than Sale was, safer than Q, safer than Eaton, safer than Moncada, safer than Robert even.  You can't make a MLB contract without potentially getting burned by it by at the end of the day the best time to pay players is at the younger ages when they are hitting FA still in their primes.  I'd love to see the Sox extend Vaughn and even if it's an "overapy" a bit, because my guess is that an "overpay" in an early extension still will be seen as a substantial "underpayment" in 2-3 years time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Wait a second, I'm not belaboring any point here, you brought it up.  All I'm doing is asking why you feel there is no good reason to do that now, not why you feel like it's unlikely to happen.  Those are not the same question.  You mention an extension is guaranteed money, of course it is.  And if he comes up with your .270/.350/.800 number, would you not feel that it was smart to lock him up?  Is it not a good idea to lock up your young good players and avoid acrimony through the arb process?

I think you are belaboring it. I told you before I don't think it will happen and if you think it will, fantastic. You could be right or I could be right. But you continued to press me on it because you said it "feels like you don't want it to happen". I also already said there's injury risk to consider, the lack of minor league playing time, lack of playing a premium position.

The Sox extended Robert's contract after he tore up the minors across 3 levels in 2019. They extended Moncada in his 3rd season with them and his big year in 2019. They extended Jimenez before he ever had a MLB AB and that was a rare thing to do. Scott Kingery and Jon Singleton were the only  2 to do it before Eloy .Singleton was a bust and so far Kingery hasn't done much. But Eloy also had torn up the higher levels in the minors.

Covid of course has played a role in evaluating Vaughn through minor league playing time. I have no feelings on wanting it to happen. I think given all the things i just laid out that I don't think it's likely. It would be a precedent setting contract and as financially prudent as the Sox were this winter and given the possibility Vaughn may not play as well as some expect I think they will wait. There's a chance waiting will backfire but also a chance that's it's a good move not to extend him now.

How it all plays out is anyone's guess. I'm just playing the odds thinking he won't be extended this year based on all the information at hand with the key factor being unknown since no one knows what is going on behind closed doors.

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think you are belaboring it. I told you before I don't think it will happen and if you think it will, fantastic. You could be right or I could be right. But you continued to press me on it because you said it "feels like you don't want it to happen". I also already said there's injury risk to consider, the lack of minor league playing time, lack of playing a premium position.

The Sox extended Robert's contract after he tore up the minors across 3 levels in 2019. They extended Moncada in his 3rd season with them and his big year in 2019. They extended Jimenez before he ever had a MLB AB and that was a rare thing to do. Scott Kingery and Jon Singleton were the only  2 to do it before Eloy .Singleton was a bust and so far Kingery hasn't done much. But Eloy also had torn up the higher levels in the minors.

Covid of course has played a role in evaluating Vaughn through minor league playing time. I have no feelings on wanting it to happen. I think given all the things i just laid out that I don't think it's likely. It would be a precedent setting contract and as financially prudent as the Sox were this winter and given the possibility Vaughn may not play as well as some expect I think they will wait. There's a chance waiting will backfire but also a chance that's it's a good move not to extend him now.

How it all plays out is anyone's guess. I'm just playing the odds thinking he won't be extended this year based on all the information at hand with the key factor being unknown since no one knows what is going on behind closed doors.

I will make sure to discontinue belaboring going forward

14 hours ago, hi8is said:

Wish we could have seen that and known more about the pitchers faced.

really sucks how little we can hear about the other games but obviously it's for good reasons. We basically only hear cespedes news.

13 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Probably nothing but figured worth posting:

A pulled hammy causes Cheesy Beef’s red phone to ring? But I will say since the subject of right field is brought up, that Blake Rutherford must really be a lost cause. He is never in any conversations about getting a shot.

• Like 1