2021 Bullpen Hype Thread

joejoesox

19 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

Ya, I have some issues with other parts of the team but imo we have the best bullpen in baseball.  Just ridiculous. 

I am also optimistic that we may have the best manager for dealing with it and making it the most productive experience for the guys we still hope to be starters.

Thats a pro TLR take from me.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I still can’t believe Ricky shit his pants with the bullpen in game 3.  

He shit his pants thinking the starter could not give up a run. Then he wound up screwed later on. He was bent over with his hands on his knees the entire series. Seems like a good guy, but clearly not a MLB playoff manager.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He shit his pants thinking the starter could not give up a run. Then he wound up screwed later on. He was bent over with his hands on his knees the entire series. Seems like a good guy, but clearly not a MLB playoff manager.

I think he can be an MLB manager again and I think he did some good things while here. 

I also think he lacks a killer instinct. Or even a winning instinct. He doesn’t manage to win. He managed to play for the bigger picture. There is a time and place for that. The 2021 White Sox weren’t it. 

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Totally agree.  Like look at your offense bro.  Yes Dane was a subpar prospect with zero track record.  And obviously there was no reason to have any faith in him whatsoever.   But still, let the kid try to get through 4 with 4 runs given up or something.   It was so dumb

4 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Totally agree.  Like look at your offense bro.  Yes Dane was a subpar prospect with zero track record.  And obviously there was no reason to have any faith in him whatsoever.   But still, let the kid try to get through 4 with 4 runs given up or something.   It was so dumb

Subpar prospect?

In Ricky's defense, Rodon couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and Foster completely forgot how to pitch.  And Jose Abreu choked in several big spots.  That series loss to OAK was on more guys than just Ricky.

Although I do agree he shouldn't have started Dunning if his plan was to pull him as soon as the opposition put a RISP even if it was the 1st inning.  That's not exactly a good plan, especially when you've got one of the top offenses in baseball behind you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

In Ricky's defense, Rodon couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and Foster completely forgot how to pitch.  And Jose Abreu choked in several big spots.  That series loss to OAK was on more guys than just Ricky.

Although I do agree he shouldn't have started Dunning if his plan was to pull him as soon as the opposition put a RISP even if it was the 1st inning.  That's not exactly a good plan, especially when you've got one of the top offenses in baseball behind you.

Keuchel was the most to blame, giving up 5 in Game 2, that was the loss that cost the Sox the series, burnt the bullpen as well. Never hear a peep about the big FA signing. Madrigal didn't help with his 2 run error in the first which left Abreu shaking his head after the play. Didn't help Keuchel loaded the bases with three singles to start the game.

https://www.mlb.com/athletics/video/marcus-semien-s-two-run-home-run-x0998?q=Date %3D ["2020-09-30"] AND GameType %3D ["WILD_CARD"] AND Player %3D ["Dallas Keuchel"] AND Date %3D {{ "2020-09-28"%2C "2020-10-05" }} Order By Timestamp DESC&cp=MIXED

https://www.mlb.com/athletics/video/khris-davis-solo-home-run-x6336?q=Date %3D ["2020-09-30"] AND GameType %3D ["WILD_CARD"] AND Player %3D ["Dallas Keuchel"] AND Date %3D {{ "2020-09-28"%2C "2020-10-05" }} Order By Timestamp DESC&cp=MIXED

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Glad you said it and not me. I argued that till I was blue in the face after the game 3 loss. People hyping the BP forget a lot of those young guys were cutting their teeth against poor teams and they completely wet the bed in game 3 against a non AL Central team and Crochet got injured when he was specifically rested to pitch in game 3.  Bad pitching and an injury are not the fault of the manager. You don't win many games when the BP walks 7+ guys. I think the bullpen is pretty good but Heuer and Foster and the like will have a much harder time this year with the normal schedule and better lineups. That's just the vagaries of relief pitching.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I believe most of us will see that TL makes baseball decisions more in line with our own individual thoughts.  If you are playing...it's because he sees you as the best choice he has.  His lineup decisions will be interesting and will change as does player production.

On 3/5/2021 at 2:44 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Should be the best in baseball with interesting arms in AAA waiting in the wings.

I agree. This absolutely is the strength of this team - More so than the offense even. And like you said, an arm goes down - there's a couple ready to replace em down in Charlotte. 

But the thing that will make this bullpen lethal is that it will be managed by LaRussa. 

Edited by smellysox

As nice (and shocking) as it is to see almost unanimous positivity about *something* on this board, I'm surprised it's about the aspect of the team that is generally regarded to be the biggest crapshoot of all. That folks can nit-pick and savage established stars while casually penciling in guys like Foster, Marshall, and Heuer as lockdown relievers. There, I went and poisoned it. You're welcome.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Whatever happened to a bullpen is a crapshoot? I guess if you have a good one, that is thrown away.

There's so much depth in this thing that I think it's really unlikely you don't end up with two or three guys who are lights out. 

Don't really know who it's going to be, there will probably be someone. Also possible the bullpen ends up being crap, but I don't think that's likely. 

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

As nice (and shocking) as it is to see almost unanimous positivity about *something* on this board, I'm surprised it's about the aspect of the team that is generally regarded to be the biggest crapshoot of all. That folks can nit-pick and savage established stars while casually penciling in guys like Foster, Marshall, and Heuer as lockdown relievers. There, I went and poisoned it. You're welcome.

I think while all this is true, we also have three guys who should be elite and actually have some depth at AAA.  Jimmy Cordero has gone from most used reliever to not making the opening day roster plus we have interesting arms like Burdi, Johnson, & Lambert waiting in the wings.  I think we should be able to survive potential regression from guys like Marshall & Foster.

2 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I think it is because Heuer, Foster, Marshall were pushed down this offseason to be MRP is why I'm so positive. I'd probably still think our bullpen is good if Heuer was our 8th inning guy, but we now have Crochet/Bummer in that role. It allows guys to have some struggles an use others, and not just throw jimmy cordero out there every day because you need arms.

Bullpen arms are all over the place but obviously a lot to like about the Sox. I like the scenario that we have Rodon or whoever the 5 pitching and it's not going well.  Say it's a 3-3 game with bases loaded and 1 out and we need to get out of a jam, La Russa can bring in Bummer or Crochet and still have the other one later.

• Like 1