Rodon vs. Lopez

Chicago White Sox

Who wins the 5th starter role?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 5th starter role?

• Carlos Rodon
    • Reynaldo Lopez

Alright guys, who you got winning the the 5th starter role?  Rodon appears to be the favorite based on statements released from the club and their unofficial spokespersons, but Lopez is starting to get some hype in camp.  If changes to his arm action are translating to actual results (rather than just spring training fluff), then I’d argue giving him the 5th starter spot since he provides two additional years of control and has historically been far more durable than Carlos.

• Like 1

They could use both if the wanted to. First 40 games, 7 starts for Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, Cease; 6 starts for Rodon and Lopez. Game 41-43 would be Giolito, Keuchel, and Lynn in Minnesota, and then you make a decision to get it down to a 5-man. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

They could use both if the wanted to. First 40 games, 7 starts for Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, Cease; 6 starts for Rodon and Lopez. Game 41-43 would be Giolito, Keuchel, and Lynn in Minnesota, and then you make a decision to get it down to a 5-man. 

We’ve had this argument before, but going with a six man rotation when there are like six or seven off-days in the first 40 or so games of the season is crazy IMO.  Pitchers are a creature of habit and pitching on six days rest is likely going to mess with them, not to mention why give our worst two starters more starts than needed.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We’ve had this argument before, but going with a six man rotation when there are like six or seven off-days in the first 40 or so games of the season is crazy IMO.  Pitchers are a creature of habit and pitching on six days rest is likely going to mess with them, not to mention why give our worst two starters more starts than needed.

The one thing we know about baseball in 2021 is that teams will deploy pitching is various ways this season. There will be 6-man rotations for some. There will be tandem starts, openers, etc. If the Sox started the season with a regular 5-man and planned on The Big 3 getting 33 starts and 215 innings, sign me up if they think they can do it and be ready for October. I tend to think they'll space out some things and get it down to 30-31 starts and 180-190 innings. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, flavum said:

The one thing we know about baseball in 2021 is that teams will deploy pitching is various ways this season. There will be 6-man rotations for some. There will be tandem starts, openers, etc. If the Sox started the season with a regular 5-man and planned on The Big 3 getting 33 starts and 215 innings, sign me up if they think they can do it and be ready for October. I tend to think they'll space out some things and get it down to 30-31 starts and 180-190 innings. 

That’s all fair, but if you’re going to go with a six man rotation at some point, do it during the dog days when there are no off-days.

A really fun and positive development in the next year is if these young pitchers all take the step to the next level, similar to Giolito from a couple of years ago, and force some really tough decisions for LaRussa and the FO.  

What an embarrassment of riches it would be if all of these prized or once-prized top prospects, from Cease to Rodon to Lopez to Kopech to Crochet, started pitching at or near their ceilings. 

In a glass half full point of view, the potential for this staff with the kind of talent it possesses is an Atlanta Braves circa the 1990s type of run from a pitching perspective.  It’s certainly exciting to think of the possibilities!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Rodon will get it. He was guaranteed 3 million and doesn’t have options. Lopez might play out of the bullpen and Rodon really doesn’t. I still think Kopech occupies this rotation spot by July 

This makes a heck of a lot sense especially the part about out of options.  Backs up what Stone had said, too, about options being important with larger rotation.

You think it's likely that he'll not be available the 2nd half unless they give him extended rests between a couple of starts? 

Even if he pitches great, the Sox would surely shut him down, right?  That's when Kopech would take over?

Right now the opening day pitching staff looks like it will be the following:

Rotation:

1. Lucas Giolito
  2. Lance Lynn
  3. Dallas Keuechel*
  4. Dylan Cease
  5. Carlos Rodon*

Bullpen:

• 9th: Liam Hendriks
  • 8th: Aaron Bummer*
  • 8th: Evan Marshall
  • 7th: Garret Crochet*
  • 7th: Codi Heuer
  • 6th: Matt Foster
  • LR: Michael Kopech
  • LR: Reynaldo Lopez

At least initially, I don’t think guys having options will have much impact.  Maybe when Fry comes back then Lopez having an option will matter, but until then I think they can roll with the best 5th starter possible whether that be Carlos or Reynaldo.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Right now the opening day pitching staff looks like it will be the following:

Rotation:

1. Lucas Giolito
  2. Lance Lynn
  3. Dallas Keuechel*
  4. Dylan Cease
  5. Carlos Rodon*

Bullpen:

• 9th: Liam Hendriks
  • 8th: Aaron Bummer*
  • 8th: Evan Marshall
  • 7th: Garret Crochet*
  • 7th: Codi Heuer
  • 6th: Matt Foster
  • LR: Michael Kopech
  • LR: Reynaldo Lopez

At least initially, I don’t think guys having options will have much impact.  Maybe when Fry comes back then Lopez having an option will matter, but until then I think they can roll with the best 5th starter possible whether that be Carlos or Reynaldo.

I love this pitching staff!!!  Almost as good as the offense.  What a year this could be.🙂

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

A really fun and positive development in the next year is if these young pitchers all take the step to the next level, similar to Giolito from a couple of years ago, and force some really tough decisions for LaRussa and the FO.  

What an embarrassment of riches it would be if all of these prized or once-prized top prospects, from Cease to Rodon to Lopez to Kopech to Crochet, started pitching at or near their ceilings. 

In a glass half full point of view, the potential for this staff with the kind of talent it possesses is an Atlanta Braves circa the 1990s type of run from a pitching perspective.  It’s certainly exciting to think of the possibilities!

Yes, I am highly optimistic that at least a few of the young pitchers who languished the past few years will pleasantly surprise fans this season. 

A healthy Rodon and consistent strikes from Cease and Lopez will go a long way to adding the depth needed to compete.

I’m hoping they can transition away from older FA / trades and replenish their staff with the young current core, and develop and draft solid pitchers. It’s the only possibility beyond drastically increasing payroll to retain the solid core beyond their current contracts/control period.

• Like 1

I think this is the year Rodon, Lopez, Cease, Kopech, and Crochet all blossom into #1 starters.  And also the year Stiever proves he can throw harder than 92, and thinks one of his breaking pitches moved a little, right at the end.  You guys saw it, right?