Rodon vs. Lopez

Chicago White Sox

Who wins the 5th starter role?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 5th starter role?

• Carlos Rodon
    • Reynaldo Lopez

On 3/7/2021 at 7:47 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Rodon will get it. He was guaranteed 3 million and doesn’t have options. Lopez might play out of the bullpen and Rodon really doesn’t. I still think Kopech occupies this rotation spot by July 

Yep I  like how you said Rodon will get it while others said win it. He's going to have it handed to him if you've paid attention to what Rodon said they told him. Even if Lopez grabs the bull by the horns it probably won't matter unless they eat that $3M after some bad starts by Rodon. If Rodon is terrible does he even want to pitch in the pen or would he rather be released ? How do you even pay a guy with Rodon's track record $3M without telling him that the BP is a possibility if he can't hack it as a starter ? Rodon would be running away with this poll if Lopez didn't have the nice 2 inning stint the other day.  Haven't seen Rodon at all.

I voted Rodon but as someone else said I'm wishing/hoping the more durable Lopez eventually impresses enough to take it. But it would be cool also to see Rodon pitch well enough to earn it and keep it. Not rooting for either one . I just hope between Cease, Lopez and Rodon that 2 of them are solid and if all 3 suck like last year then making the playoffs will be tough.

• Like 1

Rodon is #5 or is IL/DL'ed or waived.  If he's able to stay healthy and effective, I assume he'd still be shut down at some point.  If so, it'll be interesting to see how they manage his starts, particularly in the 1st half, to extend him well into the 2nd half. 

Hopefully, Lopez has a comeback and Kopech can/will eventually start.   The Sox will need all 3 (and/or others waiting in the minors) for a 6-8 man rotation in the 2nd half.  There'll probably be times when the other 4 need a skip plus a few makeup DH's.

If some of that doesn't happen, the Sox are still well positioned to get another SP by the deadline. However, I think they'll be in higher demand and a bit more expensive this year.  If their plan starts to goes awry, hopefully they have the foresight to act quickly in the trade market. 

Hopefully, Cease is stable at #4, too. Still an unknown.

The AL Central's probably going to be very competitive, the Sox can't afford to be fumbling around with that #5 for very long.

Edited by Rounding_Third
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bold prediction, but Lopez finishes the year as our #3 starter and wins game 7 of the World Series for us!

That sounds like a dark timeline. I believe in Lopez’s upside as a 3/4 if he really finds it, buuuut we’ve got Lynn, Cease, and Kopech who will all hopefully be better than an improved Reynaldo

2 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

That sounds like a dark timeline. I believe in Lopez’s upside as a 3/4 if he really finds it, buuuut we’ve got Lynn, Cease, and Kopech who will all hopefully be better than an improved Reynaldo

If Reynaldo is our #3.. Something went horribly wrong.

• Like 1

The question presupposes that Cease proves to be better than Rodon and ReyLo.

I don't count any of these guys out though. They are all a tweak  or two away from being decent starters, and if they could achieve that, their trade value would be substantial.

52 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

Reylo winning game 7 of the World Series is definitely NOT a dark timeline 

• Like 3