Rodon vs. Lopez

Chicago White Sox

Who wins the 5th starter role?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 5th starter role?

• Carlos Rodon
    • Reynaldo Lopez

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It ain’t over yet!  Team Cy Lopez 4 Life!

I like how TLR said he doesn't call any of his pitchers a 4th or 5th starters. All starters are starters, one is just the next one taking the mound.

I understand that come playoff time, and for fan discussion we discuss 1-5, and while pitchers may intuitively know where they slot, Tony  discusses the role with his pitchers on a broader basis. Never heard any other manager at least discuss that publicly, like the approach in terms of managing the staff and their egos / expectations.

Very pertinent in today's game, whereas back in the day 4 pitchers could get you through most of a season, and now most teams rely on 7-8 "in a good year" to get through 162.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Rodon having the advantage over Lopez isn't coming as much of a shocker to anyone.

It's whether Carlos can actually stay on the mound and give you at least 5-6 innings for an extended stretch of games that is in extreme doubt.

You may not need 5-6 innings a start from Carlos.  4 then turn it over to Kopech also works.

54 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Rodon having the advantage over Lopez isn't coming as much of a shocker to anyone.

It's whether Carlos can actually stay on the mound and give you at least 5-6 innings for an extended stretch of games that is in extreme doubt.

4 innings is the new 6 inning start. I will take 4 innings, 2 runs every outing from Rodon.

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Where are you seeing those velocity numbers?

The Athletics' James Fegan had Rodon sitting 93-94 and Lopez at 92-93. Mentioned Lopez was throwing a lot of curveballs that he was tipping and getting crushed.  Lopez specifically mentioned not trying to throw hard and focus on command. 

Personally sounds like Lopez is taking the right approach. Work on your delivery and command and the results and velocity will probably be there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mac9001 said:

The Athletics' James Fegan had Rodon sitting 93-94 and Lopez at 92-93. Mentioned Lopez was throwing a lot of curveballs that he was tipping and getting crushed.  Lopez specifically mentioned not trying to throw hard and focus on command. 

Personally sounds like Lopez is taking the right approach. Work on your delivery and command and the results and velocity will probably be there.  

Thanks!

3 hours ago, mac9001 said:

I agree, but there's a point when the season is supposed to start, and if he needs to be in the 92-93 range to get the ball over the plate then he's most definitely not a MLB pitcher and should be left off the team because he does have that option year left.

There's no way a shitty Lopez should make this team ahead of Cordero.

• Like 1

Scott Merkin just predicted the Sox opening day roster and he has Rodon as the 5 and ReyLo in the bullpen.  I think the latter is very unlikely.  Lopez has an option remaining and the Sox would be better served letting him get stretched out at the alternate site/AAA.  They’re already trying to stretch out Kopech in the bullpen, and if Lopez makes the team, they’ll have to cut Cordero (and apparently Ruiz.). I say, send him down and if someone gets hurt, he will be ready. Or possibly he will be passed by Steiner/Lambert.

7 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Scott Merkin just predicted the Sox opening day roster and he has Rodon as the 5 and ReyLo in the bullpen.  I think the latter is very unlikely.  Lopez has an option remaining and the Sox would be better served letting him get stretched out at the alternate site/AAA.  They’re already trying to stretch out Kopech in the bullpen, and if Lopez makes the team, they’ll have to cut Cordero (and apparently Ruiz.). I say, send him down and if someone gets hurt, he will be ready. Or possibly he will be passed by Steiner/Lambert.

I think Cordero has an option left.