Leury Garcia

WilliamTell

Is it just me or does Luery seem like a Tony La Russa type player? I haven't heard much about him this offseason but I have a feeling he'll be playing (as long as he's healthy) much more than most of us anticipate. And if he produces I don't mind him being the super utility guy but I'm guessing he could be playing 100-120 games. Obviously it depends on team injuries though.

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I feel like Leury is under appreciated around here. Solid bench piece who is basically the same as a lot of guys who people here wanted to sign. 

My beef with Leury is he isn’t very good against RHP, which takes away some value despite the flexibility he offers.  And honestly, with Engel the better defensive OF and equally good against LHP, he’s a bit redundant in some ways.  Don’t get me wrong, he’s a nice bench player, but I’d probably rather have a left-handed IF given the rest of our roster construction.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

My beef with Leury is he isn’t very good against RHP, which takes away some value despite the flexibility he offers.  And honestly, with Engel the better defensive OF and equally good against LHP, he’s a bit redundant in some ways.  Don’t get me wrong, he’s a nice bench player, but I’d probably rather have a left-handed IF given the rest of our roster construction.

That’s definitely fair. I don’t disagree. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He is invaluable on a contender.  He's the only reason they can carry other guys on the roster that aren't as flexible.  He can play 7 positions in theory, passably, and is I'd assume the primary backup at 3B, SS, 2B and CF depending on how the roster shakes out.

@Chicago White Sox that would be a fair critique if he was a regular, but as a backup I can't b**** about his bat at all.  Most teams would kill to have a guy that can carry a 90 OPS+ overall and play 7 positions as a backup passably.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Unless someone like Madrigal performs very poorly or someone gets hurt, Leuri isn't going to get much of a shot except for pinch running and maybe going in occasionally to LF late in a game.

Someone always gets hurt.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Unfortunately that someone is often Leury if my memory serves me correctly.

Don't get me wrong, he is infinitely more valuable than he looked to be for a couple of years after getting him from Texas.

Leury is so bad batting lefty that he's essentially a RH hitter, but he is capable at 7 positions so you absolutely need a guy like him on the roster. At the same time, you need to have some depth in the minors so that he doesn't have to become an every day player when a starter goes down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

This is something a lot of people are overlooking. There will (almost certainly) be stretches where 2+ of Eloy, Robert, Moncada, TA, Madrigal, Abreu & Grandal aren't available. That's without getting into the fact that 40% of SP's go on the IL during an average season. People seem to be significantly discounting the importance of quality depth on contending teams.

• knightni changed the title to Leury Garcia
On 3/7/2021 at 4:25 PM, maxjusttyped said:

This is something a lot of people are overlooking. There will (almost certainly) be stretches where 2+ of Eloy, Robert, Moncada, TA, Madrigal, Abreu & Grandal aren't available. That's without getting into the fact that 40% of SP's go on the IL during an average season. People seem to be significantly discounting the importance of quality depth on contending teams.

This is the big one in my opinion. I'd say it's nearly improbable that Moncada, Madrigal, and Jimenez stay off the IL this year just based on previous seasons. It's nice having a super utility sub who hopefully doesn't have to have 400 at bats this season. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 9:43 AM, WilliamTell said:

Is it just me or does Luery seem like a Tony La Russa type player? I haven't heard much about him this offseason but I have a feeling he'll be playing (as long as he's healthy) much more than most of us anticipate. And if he produces I don't mind him being the super utility guy but I'm guessing he could be playing 100-120 games. Obviously it depends on team injuries though.

I like Leury, but he plays anywhere close to 100 games, things went very, very wrong.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I like Leury, but he plays anywhere close to 100 games, things went very, very wrong.  

Leury should play in more than 100 games if he is being used properly.  Aside from his starts, he should be getting some burn as a pinch runner, and he should come into LF for Eloy every single game the Sox play where they are ahead late.

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Leury should play in more than 100 games if he is being used properly.  Aside from his starts, he should be getting some burn as a pinch runner, and he should come into LF for Eloy every single game the Sox play where they are ahead late.

From a semantics standpoint you aren’t wrong, but I think the poster was probably talking about starts. Maybe PA’s are the better indicator, but the point sort of remains that Leury is a valuable piece when used right. But it should be in somewhere small doses...him starting at any position isn’t a good thing for this team.

I have no issue with Leury playing in 100-120 games, but most (90%) of those should be D-subs, and injury replacements.  He just isnt good enough to be a starter, then only argument you could make as a starter would be to be vs RHP 

also, the person who found his career WAR at 1.1, wow that's dreadful 

3 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Wouldn’t Engel be a better late inning OF sub?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tray said:

Do you think our bench  ( Lucroy (or Collins) ,Leury , Engel and  and Mendick) might be improved upon via trade?

If so, do you have any suggestions?  I  also thought Profar would have been a good idea.

Honestly, that's not a bad bench. All 3 of the position players could have been 1+ WAR players last year. Not sure there's sufficient depth behind them at the minors, and not sure about either of the backup catcher options, but if someone goes down for a few weeks you don't lose your season if any of them has to fill in. 

It's not nearly the level of depth the Dodgers or even the Padres are bringing to the table though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Engel should be the late inning defense replacement, not Leury. 

5 hours ago, Tony said:

From a semantics standpoint you aren’t wrong, but I think the poster was probably talking about starts. Maybe PA’s are the better indicator, but the point sort of remains that Leury is a valuable piece when used right. But it should be in somewhere small doses...him starting at any position isn’t a good thing for this team.

Yeah I was talking about starts, which is why in a later post I said I hope he's not getting 400 at bats this season haha.