Backup Catcher (update 3/29 - Lucroy won't make team, asked for release)

hogan873

Backup Catcher?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think SHOULD be the backup catcher?

• Collins
    • Lucroy
    • Mercedes
    • Zavala
  2. 2. Who do you think WILL be the backup catcher?

• Collins
    • Lucroy
    • Mercedes
    • Zavala

1 hour ago, Rounding_Third said:

harrowing:  acutely distressing.   But thanks again for your vivid interpretations.  When I first heard the Sox signed Lucroy, I read all I could about herniated neck disks, you clearly did not.  i have also known 2 close associates who succumbed to lower back disk surgeries and know what they went through in the years leading up to it.  I'm also aware about how disk surgery is the very last resort because of its dangers and difficult recovery.  But thanks, doc!  Especially the part of how you knew how he was feeling while he played with it for 3 years.  That is incredibly perceptive of you!

Says the guy who claims he knows exactly what he was going through. 
Everything Lucroy is saying this year, he said last year, and he got 1 plate appearance.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone else think Collins swing got better? Imo his load looks a bit more quiet and he also so far has only one K in 19 PAs. 

It is spring and a small sample but if he can lower his K percentage to let's say under 25% he could be a really good hitter with his walks (maybe even a Carlos Santana type of hitter). 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Does anyone else think Collins swing got better? Imo his load looks a bit more quiet and he also so far has only one K in 19 PAs. 

It is spring and a small sample but if he can lower his K percentage to let's say under 25% he could be a really good hitter with his walks (maybe even a Carlos Santana type of hitter). 

Looks slimmer to me, has had a very good spring

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I said the same thing to my buddy about his swing. Looked different and better. We could use his left handed bat if his defense improved. 

4 hours ago, SoxSteve said:

I said the same thing to my buddy about his swing. Looked different and better. We could use his left handed bat if his defense improved. 

He still looks stiff  behind the plate but it is good to see that he is trying the modern framing stuff with going on a knee and catching the ball low to high. Not sure how good he executes it and he probably will remain a bad blocker but at least he tries the new stuff. 

7 minutes ago, tray said:

Lucroy or Collins as Back-up   and Vaughn as DH.

I doubt 3 catchers plus Vaughn.

3 catchers to open up (1 DHing most of the time) with Vaughn in minors seems very possible. Then they dfa Lucroy or option Collins when Vaughn is up. The idea wouldn't be Vaughn + 3 catchers. 

Edited by manbearpuig

28 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

How has his catching looked in the spring?

I don't think anyone's defense at catcher has looked bad. Short sample size and not the most discerning eye though ?I have seen Mercedes throw out a couple of attempted base stealers but also throw one away on a 1st base pickoff attempt.

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think anyone's defense at catcher has looked bad. Short sample size and not the most discerning eye though ?I have seen Mercedes throw out a couple of attempted base stealers but also throw one away on a 1st base pickoff attempt.

Yermin has looked awesome behind the plate so far. Better than anybody could have imagined. I thought he was a complete stiff back there.

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think Lucroy and Collins both make the team. 

I've been thinking this as well.  I still think they are going to try and get Collins 10 PA a week.  I think Jose is going to be sitting more this year.  He doesn't need to play 150+ games.  Sox have depth and can afford to let him rest more.  Same with Grandal IMO.  You can move Grandal to 1B and rest his knees and let Collins and Lucroy catch at least once a week.  

As far as evaluating catchers defense, some of it cannot be quantified with stats.  For example, consider how comfortable each  pitcher is  with the game calling and receiving of a particular catcher.  Because of that, I think the starting staff have some say in the matter, even though they might make their opinions known privately through  the manager and coaches. Some pitchers like Giolito have not been shy about who they prefer to throw to. Unfortunately, McCann is gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

've been thinking this as well.  I still think they are going to try and get Collins 10 PA a week.  I think Jose is going to be sitting more this year.  He doesn't need to play 150+ games.  Sox have depth and can afford to let him rest more.  Same with Grandal IMO.  You can move Grandal to 1B and rest his knees and let Collins and Lucroy catch at least once a week.  

Agree you should rest Grandal's knees but don't move him to IB. His offense when he is a DH or IB  is weak.  Let him assist TLR  in dugout with drinks and sunflower seeds until he needs to fill a bullpen role.  

If Lucroy is the back-up, I think it makes more sense for Collins to go to AAA and work on his catching or find another position.   Now since AAA is delayed a month, maybe you send Vaughn down and play  Collins for a month.  If Collins is struggling catching, swap  him and Vaughn . If Collins is producing, dump Lucroy. 

9 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think Lucroy and Collins both make the team. 

How does the math work though assuming Mendick is also on the roster? 

Pitchers- Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, Cease, Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Hendriks, Bummer, Heuer, Crochet, Marshall, plus 1 more BP spot (13)

Position Players- Robert, Jimenez, Eaton, Moncada, Anderson, Madrigal, Abreu, Grandal, Vaughn, Engel, Lucroy, Garcia, Mendick, Collins (14)

Thats 27...not 26. And even that assumes there is only 1 more BP spot. I get the feeling it may be more.

6 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

How does the math work though assuming Mendick is also on the roster? 

Pitchers- Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, Cease, Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Hendriks, Bummer, Heuer, Crochet, Marshall, plus 1 more BP spot (13)

Position Players- Robert, Jimenez, Eaton, Moncada, Anderson, Madrigal, Abreu, Grandal, Vaughn, Engel, Lucroy, Garcia, Mendick, Collins (14)

Thats 27...not 26. And even that assumes there is only 1 more BP spot. I get the feeling it may be more.

No Mendick