flavum

I'll take a shot at the final 16 cuts:

First, Jace Fry goes on the IL; Jimmy Cordero is suspended for three games

The other 14-:

Pitchers- Burr, Guerrero, McRae, Sadzeck, Ruiz

Catchers- Mercedes

Infielders- Beckham, Hernandez, Remillard, Reynolds, Mendick

Outfielders- Hamilton, Williams, Gonzalez

I have Vaughn and Collins making it. Maybe Collins goes when Cordero is activated. 

• Like 1

Starters: 7 Anderson; 10 Moncada; 79 Abreu; 74 Jimenez; 24 Grandal; 88 Robert; 12 Eaton; 99 Vaughn; Madrigal

Reserves: 15 Engel; 21 Collins; 23 Lucroy; 28 Garcia

Starters: 27 Giolito; 33 Lynn; 60 Keuchel; 84 Cease; 55 Rodon

Relievers: 31 Hendriks; 39 Bummer; 43 Marshall; 34 Kopech; 45 Crochet; 65 Heuer; 63 Foster; 40 Lopez

Final Four Cuts: 20 Mendick; 40 Lopez; 66 Ruiz; 73 Mercedes

IR: 57 Fry

Suspended: 50 Cordero (Lopez is sent down to allow Cordero on the active roster).

11 hours ago, flavum said:

I'll take a shot at the final 16 cuts:

First, Jace Fry goes on the IL; Jimmy Cordero is suspended for three games

The other 14-:

Pitchers- Burr, Guerrero, McRae, Sadzeck, Ruiz

Catchers- Mercedes

Infielders- Beckham, Hernandez, Remillard, Reynolds, Mendick

Outfielders- Hamilton, Williams, Gonzalez

I have Vaughn and Collins making it. Maybe Collins goes when Cordero is activated. 

You have Lucroy, Collins and Vaughn all making it? That makes the IF and OF pretty thin. Also, Collins can't get sent down when Cordero is activated as they are required to carry 13 position players.

19 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

You have Lucroy, Collins and Vaughn all making it? That makes the IF and OF pretty thin. Also, Collins can't get sent down when Cordero is activated as they are required to carry 13 position players.

Ok, forgot about the 13 pitcher limit. Add Mendick. Drop Collins. Deal with Cordero on April 4. I’m sure there will be a lot of phantom pitcher injuries this season in all of baseball. 

It seems pretty straight forward what decisions the Sox have are there are two. This is assuming that Lucroy is the back up catcher which I find to be a near lock and Vaughn starts with the club.

#1 - Last bench spot - Collins or Mendick - The lack of potential playing time for this spot almost makes it seem like we should take on another pitcher. Both are blocked. Perhaps Collins moreso than Mendick. For some reason I think the Sox go with Mendick, but I would go to Collins simply for the fact that he's a left-handed power bat that could pinch hit late in games.

#2 - Last bullpen spot - Lopez, Cordero or Ruiz - Lopez is the guy they have penciled in but he has an option. Cordero has a suspension and is out of options. Ruiz has looked improved and is out of options.  I don't know the rules with Cordero's suspension but this one is a bit more confusing. 

4 hours ago, flavum said:

Rooting for Mendick over Collins. Unfortunately the AAA season doesn’t get guys playing for real in May, but I’d like to see Collins get regular at bats somewhere instead of mostly sitting. 

There's nothing left for either guy to develop at AAA.  Is what it is.  Someone will get the shaft and I'd imagine it's Mendick as Leury covers the backup spot at SS and 2B and 3B. One injury away tho.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

44 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There's nothing left for either guy to develop at AAA.  Is what it is.  Someone will get the shaft and I'd imagine it's Mendick as Leury covers the backup spot at SS and 2B and 3B. One injury away tho.

And Leury always gets in injured. Whos the backup when he's hurt? Free agent?

22 hours ago, raBBit said:

It seems pretty straight forward what decisions the Sox have are there are two. This is assuming that Lucroy is the back up catcher which I find to be a near lock and Vaughn starts with the club.

#1 - Last bench spot - Collins or Mendick - The lack of potential playing time for this spot almost makes it seem like we should take on another pitcher. Both are blocked. Perhaps Collins moreso than Mendick. For some reason I think the Sox go with Mendick, but I would go to Collins simply for the fact that he's a left-handed power bat that could pinch hit late in games.

#2 - Last bullpen spot - Lopez, Cordero or Ruiz - Lopez is the guy they have penciled in but he has an option. Cordero has a suspension and is out of options. Ruiz has looked improved and is out of options.  I don't know the rules with Cordero's suspension but this one is a bit more confusing. 

Burr still might have a shot, too. Very good minors career and has had his ST moments.  With a good finish, he could sneak in,

5 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Burr still might have a shot, too. Very good minors career and has had his ST moments.  With a good finish, he could sneak in,

During the season, I think there's a scenario he can find his way on. That said, I am not sure he can break with the team based on the 40 man roster situation.  Lucroy and Andrew Vaughn still need 40 man spots.

On the positional side, there is no one to drop from the 40 but Zavala - who they have been reluctant to drop for years now. 

On the pitching side, Ruiz is out of options. Cordero could be cuttable I guess. Maybe they dump Burdi.  There really isn't a lot of crap on the 40 man anymore.

I could be wrong, but in order for them to roster Burr out of the gate, they would need to cut Zavala, cut Ruiz and option Lopez. They could move Fry to the 60 day IL but I don't know if his injury is that serious. Just tough to make room for Burr is my point.

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

During the season, I think there's a scenario he can find his way on. That said, I am not sure he can break with the team based on the 40 man roster situation.  Lucroy and Andrew Vaughn still need 40 man spots.

On the positional side, there is no one to drop from the 40 but Zavala - who they have been reluctant to drop for years now. 

On the pitching side, Ruiz is out of options. Cordero could be cuttable I guess. Maybe they dump Burdi.  There really isn't a lot of crap on the 40 man anymore.

I could be wrong, but in order for them to roster Burr out of the gate, they would need to cut Zavala, cut Ruiz and option Lopez. They could move Fry to the 60 day IL but I don't know if his injury is that serious. Just tough to make room for Burr is my point.

If the Sox need 40 man spots there are guys like Ruiz who if he gets claimed, who cares? Zavala, Adolfo, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Sheets, Flores...none are going to be contributors to a real WS contender, trade them to a non contender for someone who doesn't need a roster spot. 

23 hours ago, raBBit said:

Last bench spot - Collins or Mendick

Mendick blasted an oppo home run yesterday in the ninth.He has looked good on defense as well.

I think Mendick or Collins would be fine but I would take Mendick since he would provide depth on the INF beyond just Leury.

Moncada and Madrigal are great. but I am not that confident in their durability to have  only one back up INF on the 26 man.

1 minute ago, tray said:

Mendick blasted an oppo home run yesterday in the ninth.He has looked good on defense as well.

I think Mendick or Collins would be fine but I would take Mendick since he would provide depth on the INF beyond just Leury.

Moncada and Madrigal are great. but I am not that confident in their durability to have  only one back up INF on the 26 man.

The very bad Matt Reynolds hit that oppo homerun, not Mendick.

47 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If the Sox need 40 man spots there are guys like Ruiz who if he gets claimed, who cares? Zavala, Adolfo, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Sheets, Flores...none are going to be contributors to a real WS contender, trade them to a non contender for someone who doesn't need a roster spot. 

Sox like Ruiz a lot and (spring training of course) he has looked nasty in ST. I've been saying they should cut Zavala for over a year now and its probably safe to assume they do since its a catcher that needs the 40 man spot. They're not cutting Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez/Sheets. 

I get its easy for you to say cut them all, they all suck but we both know the Sox wouldn't do that. There are investments in these guys. There is upside with some of them. All that said, the post you quoted was in response to the idea of Burr breaking with the team. I am not cutting any of these guys so Burr can make the roster. I'm surprised you're ready to dump Sheets or Adolfo or Rutherford so a fungible guy like Burr can get the last spot in the pen. 

23 minutes ago, tray said:

If they're going off of Spring performance Collins has hit more than anyone else. 

I think that the Sox go with Medick because of what you're saying with Leury. Moncada always seems to have some naggy injury, TA has been hitting the DL, Madrigal coming off surgery, etc. I do think Collins provides more and the Sox could quickly call up Mendick if someone got hurt but not the end of the world either way. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Sox like Ruiz a lot and (spring training of course) he has looked nasty in ST. I've been saying they should cut Zavala for over a year now and its probably safe to assume they do since its a catcher that needs the 40 man spot. They're not cutting Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez/Sheets. 

I get its easy for you to say cut them all, they all suck but we both know the Sox wouldn't do that. There are investments in these guys. There is upside with some of them. All that said, the post you quoted was in response to the idea of Burr breaking with the team. I am not cutting any of these guys so Burr can make the roster. I'm surprised you're ready to dump Sheets or Adolfo or Rutherford so a fungible guy like Burr can get the last spot in the pen. 

If they're going off of Spring performance Collins has hit more than anyone else. 

I think that the Sox go with Medick because of what you're saying with Leury. Moncada always seems to have some naggy injury, TA has been hitting the DL, Madrigal coming off surgery, etc. I do think Collins provides more and the Sox could quickly call up Mendick if someone got hurt but not the end of the world either way. 

It's easy to say cut them all, but that's not what I wrote. I would trade them for some A Ball lotto tickets. Not all of them of course, but on an as needed roster sport basis. I don't care about Burr myself. I was only writing about 40 man roster spots.