2021 Spring Training Cuts Thread

flavum

If they don’t give Collins the backup role, he needs to be traded. Grandal is holding down that role for a few more years. Collins is not a young “prospect” anymore and needs to be given the opportunity to show whether or not he belongs in the bigs.

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

During the season, I think there's a scenario he can find his way on. That said, I am not sure he can break with the team based on the 40 man roster situation.  Lucroy and Andrew Vaughn still need 40 man spots.

On the positional side, there is no one to drop from the 40 but Zavala - who they have been reluctant to drop for years now. 

On the pitching side, Ruiz is out of options. Cordero could be cuttable I guess. Maybe they dump Burdi.  There really isn't a lot of crap on the 40 man anymore.

I could be wrong, but in order for them to roster Burr out of the gate, they would need to cut Zavala, cut Ruiz and option Lopez. They could move Fry to the 60 day IL but I don't know if his injury is that serious. Just tough to make room for Burr is my point.

Yeah, you're probably right.  Since both are out of options, Ruiz over Cordero.  Cordero has been too inconsistent over his time with Sox.  Ruiz has better upside and younger.  More likely he would get claimed although they both probably would.  If they go with Ruiz and he struggles, I wonder how long they'd stay with him knowing they'd lose him.  Yeah, makes sense that Burr is sent down for now no matter how he finishes ST.  If he deserves it, he'll get his chance before the year's out.  Ruiz and/or Cordero could possibly bring some trade value.  Nothing big but maybe some AAA or AA fills.  

3 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

If they don’t give Collins the backup role, he needs to be traded. Grandal is holding down that role for a few more years. Collins is not a young “prospect” anymore and needs to be given the opportunity to show whether or not he belongs in the bigs.

Needs?  This narrative is so dumb.  Why would the Sox trade collins for a dime on the dollar just to be nice?  Having a catcher with upside around is a huge plus.  Giving him away for nothing makes no sense.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Needs?  This narrative is so dumb.  Why would the Sox trade collins for a dime on the dollar just to be nice?  Having a catcher with upside around is a huge plus.  Giving him away for nothing makes no sense.  

How many options does he have left? He’s on the 40 man and was called up in both 19 and 20, is this year his last minor league option?

If that’s right, If they don’t play him this year, his trade value (if he has any) craters because he’d be right on the edge of waivers.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How many options does he have left? He’s on the 40 man and was called up in both 19 and 20, is this year his last minor league option?

If that’s right, If they don’t play him this year, his trade value (if he has any) craters because he’d be right on the edge of waivers.

His trade value has already cratered.  He has 1 option left (this year). You're not getting anything via trade for him - you just hope something clicks over the next year.  

17 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

His trade value has already cratered.  He has 1 option left (this year). You're not getting anything via trade for him - you just hope something clicks over the next year.  

I bet you could get a decent veteran reliever for him.. Sad thing is, we don't need one.  May as well hold him.

On 3/16/2021 at 7:32 PM, flavum said:

I'll take a shot at the final 16 cuts:

First, Jace Fry goes on the IL; Jimmy Cordero is suspended for three games

The other 14-:

Pitchers- Burr, Guerrero, McRae, Sadzeck, Ruiz

Catchers- Mercedes

Infielders- Beckham, Hernandez, Remillard, Reynolds, Mendick

Outfielders- Hamilton, Williams, Gonzalez

I have Vaughn and Collins making it. Maybe Collins goes when Cordero is activated. 

Well, some things have changed since Tuesday. Engel won’t be on the opening day roster. Lopez is probably going to get optioned. Jose Ruiz has a better chance of making the roster now. If they have to make room for Vaughn, Hamilton, and Lucroy, they’ll probably try to outright Turley and Zavala.

What’s the argument for Gonzalez at this point on the 40 man...?  What above average skill does he possess?

Sheets is definitely not going anywhere with his reported power game/swing loft/launch angle improvements.

Also, heard TLR was really high on Carlos Perez, fwiw.

Edited by caulfield12

My OD guess:

OF: Jimenez, Robert, Eaton, Garcia, Hamilton

IF: Moncada, Anderson, Madrigal, Abreu, Vaughn, Mendick

C : Grandal, Collins

SP: Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, Cease, Rodon

RP: Hendriks, Bummer, Marshall, Crochet, Heuer, Kopech, Foster, Ruiz

IL: Cordero, Fry (Ruiz DFA when he returns), Engel (Hamilton DFA when he returns)

1 minute ago, Rounding_Third said:

4 catchers shows how those 3 guys are playing their asses off!

...and Grandal not catching much. I’m thinking the last spot is Collins vs Mendick. Hamilton can stick around until Engel is ready.

cuts to come- Collins, Mercedes, Burr, Turley, Remillard, Reynolds, Beckham, Williams. Fry and Engel go to IL.

Is Collins really THAT awful behind the plate to the point where they will keep Lucroy over him? 

I get that spring training means nothing, but I see no rush to sign Vaughn to an extension. Collins' and Yermin's performances are enough "justification" for keeping Vaughn down for the extra year. Roll with Collins as the backup C and Yermin as DH. Rotate them as necessary. 

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Is Collins really THAT awful behind the plate to the point where they will keep Lucroy over him? 

I get that spring training means nothing, but I see no rush to sign Vaughn to an extension. Collins' and Yermin's performances are enough "justification" for keeping Vaughn down for the extra year. Roll with Collins as the backup C and Yermin as DH. Rotate them as necessary. 

We are trying to win a World Series.  IMO neither of those two has the potential to be a difference maker.  Vaughn does. Rebuild is over, Larussa is here to win now.  Vaughn is the clear choice over those two.

• Like 1