Sign in to follow this  
flavum

2021 Spring Training Cuts Thread

1 minute ago, Ozzie’s Cuban Cigar said:

We are trying to win a World Series.  IMO neither of those two has the potential to be a difference maker.  Vaughn does. Rebuild is over, Larussa is here to win now.  Vaughn is the clear choice over those two.

I'm not convinced that will be the difference between a world series or not. What is it, 15 days we need to keep Vaughn down? No brainer IMO. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Pray a starter doesn't get injured.  

This goes for position players as well as pitchers. I'm not crazy about their depth at the positions either. 

If they lose either Anderson or Moncada they're in some serious shit. I'm not even sure they have someone anywhere close to the majors that can play a passable SS, let alone hit. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

31 minutes ago, Ozzie’s Cuban Cigar said:

We are trying to win a World Series.  IMO neither of those two has the potential to be a difference maker.  Vaughn does. Rebuild is over, Larussa is here to win now.  Vaughn is the clear choice over those two.

Yes, I really hope they bring their best team. LuCroy, Vaughn, Collins, Garcia and Engel are the best five beyond the starting fielders, Hamilton I guess until Adam can return, though I really don’t want to see Hamilton here all season, especially at the expense of someone better like a Collins or Vaughn.

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

This goes for position players as well as pitchers. I'm not crazy about their depth at the positions either. 

If they lose either Anderson or Moncada they're in some serious shit. I'm not even sure they have someone anywhere close to the majors that can play a passable SS, let alone hit. 

Leury can play short and Mendick can play 3rd.

I guess if they don't count that's why they signed Beckham 

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Our lineup is so good, we can handle a injury for a month. Doesn't matter who.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's what I have for an opening day roster-

Lineup: Anderson SS, Eaton RF, Abreu 1B, Moncada 3B, Grandal C, Collins DH, Robert CF, Vaughn LF, Madrigal 2B

Bench: Hamilton OF, Garcia UTL, Mendick IF, Lucroy C

Rotation: Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, Cease, Rodon

Bullpen: Kopech, Ruiz or Turley, Foster, Marshall, Crochet, Heuer, Bummer, Hendriks

Roster moves to come:

Option Mercedes

also cut NRIs- Nick Williams, Tim Beckham, Matt Reynolds, Zach Remillard, Ryan Burr

60-day IL- Fry and Eloy (Cordero is already there)

15-day IL- Engel

Drop from 40-man: Ruiz or Turley

Add to the 40-man: Vaughn, Hamilton, Lucroy

• Thanks 1

That looks accurate to me.  But Fry is expected back May 1, so you can’t put him on the 60 day, and as soon as Engel is ready, you DFA Hamilton, right?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

That looks accurate to me.  But Fry is expected back May 1, so you can’t put him on the 60 day, and as soon as Engel is ready, you DFA Hamilton, right?

Ok, I thought I heard Fry could be headed to the 60-day, but if not, then Zavala will probably be the other guy to go if they need to make room. 
And yes, Hamilton may not be long but he does bring a nice option off the bench for pinch running.

Edited by flavum

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Ok, I thought I heard Fry could be headed to the 60-day, but if not, then Zavala will probably be the other guy to go if they need to make room. 
And yes, Hamilton may not be long but he does bring a nice option off the bench for pinch running.

We can agree to disagree on the value of Billy Hamilton.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flavum said:

Here's what I have for an opening day roster-

Lineup: Anderson SS, Eaton RF, Abreu 1B, Moncada 3B, Grandal C, Collins DH, Robert CF, Vaughn LF, Madrigal 2B

Bench: Hamilton OF, Garcia UTL, Mendick IF, Lucroy C

Rotation: Giolito, Keuchel, Lynn, Cease, Rodon

Bullpen: Kopech, Ruiz or Turley, Foster, Marshall, Crochet, Heuer, Bummer, Hendriks

Roster moves to come:

Option Mercedes

also cut NRIs- Nick Williams, Tim Beckham, Matt Reynolds, Zach Remillard, Ryan Burr

60-day IL- Fry and Eloy (Cordero is already there)

15-day IL- Engel

Drop from 40-man: Ruiz or Turley

Add to the 40-man: Vaughn, Hamilton, Lucroy

When will the roster be officially announced?

22 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

When will the roster be officially announced?

Would guess we’ll know Tuesday night, but official on Wednesday.

Just now, flavum said:

Would guess we’ll know Tuesday night, but official on Wednesday.

Thanks, usually it's pretty straight forward, but I'm more interested because of the ripple effect of Eloy's injury.

Eloy-related: Yankees keeping Jay Bruce. This leaves Tauchman as the odd man out and possibly easier to get via trade.

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Eloy-related: Yankees keeping Jay Bruce. This leaves Tauchman as the odd man out and possibly easier to get via trade.

Keeping Bruce because Voit is going to the IL. Leaves room for both Bruce and Tauchman on the roster. Essentially, exactly the opposite of what you suggest. Now, Tauchman will make the team and thus, not be available.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 12:33 PM, Dick Allen said:

It's easy to say cut them all, but that's not what I wrote. I would trade them for some A Ball lotto tickets. Not all of them of course, but on an as needed roster sport basis. I don't care about Burr myself. I was only writing about 40 man roster spots. 

Where are you going to play your A Ball Lotto Tickets?  And who are you going to cut to make room?  

Posted (edited)

Lucroy released. Congrats to Yermin. 

Bench- Garcia, Hamilton, Lamb, Mercedes

Looks like it's just down to Ruiz or Turley

Edited by flavum
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Lucroy should catch on with someone else, he seemed to do a solid job with the staff this spring, just not really a fit with Collins really coming on this spring.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

Lucroy should catch on with someone else, he seemed to do a solid job with the staff this spring, just not really a fit with Collins really coming on this spring.

Yeah somewhere where he could mentor a young catcher.

• Like 1

This may answer the Turley/Ruiz question. Or not. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2021 at 7:25 PM, oldsox said:

Where are you going to play your A Ball Lotto Tickets?  And who are you going to cut to make room?  

I would play them somewhere in the minor league system. And there are plenty of minor leaguers to cut. Considering I would be trading guys who were thought of to be 40 man worthy, I could probably get guys that are better than the worst guys in the system. 

Lot of ink spilled these past couple months debating who out of Vaughn, Collins, and Mercedes who make the OD roster. Crazy to think here we are and they're ALL making it. No one could have predicted that.

• Like 2

leaving Lamb on this current roster gives them the opportunity to remove and replace him pretty quick should another player be signed or traded for.  Yermin too.   

33 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

leaving Lamb on this current roster gives them the opportunity to remove and replace him pretty quick should another player be signed or traded for.  Yermin too.   

This is a good thought. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by May.

18 minutes ago, raBBit said:

This is a good thought. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by May.

as the sacrificial lamb?

I will see myself out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

as the sacrificial lamb?

I will see myself out. 

probably the best post this website will ever have

• Love 1