Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ron883

Coop on 670 The Score at 5:00 PM CT

Recommended Posts

Coop's style greatly masks the depth of pitching knowledge he possesses.  If he's on the Score analyzing pitching staffs from both sides of town, I predict there would be a lot of great stuff to listen to ... IF the hosts ask him the appropriate questions.  If the fans want to know about mechanics and pitch types and sequences, etc., they'll get it IF the Score puts someone on the air with him who will ask him the appropriate questions.  I bet they wouldn't do much of that at all though, probably just ask dumb meatball questions looking for the typical emotional Coop response (always in a defensive tone of course).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Coop's style greatly masks the depth of pitching knowledge he possesses.  If he's on the Score analyzing pitching staffs from both sides of town, I predict there would be a lot of great stuff to listen to ... IF the hosts ask him the appropriate questions.  If the fans want to know about mechanics and pitch types and sequences, etc., they'll get it IF the Score puts someone on the air with him who will ask him the appropriate questions.  I bet they wouldn't do much of that at all though, probably just ask dumb meatball questions looking for the typical emotional Coop response (always in a defensive tone of course).

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Cooper has any interest in that.  Don Cooper serves Don Cooper.  He doesn't GAF about analyzing baseball he cares about grinding his axes against whoever he thinks in MLB has wronged him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Cooper has any interest in that.  Don Cooper serves Don Cooper.  He doesn't GAF about analyzing baseball he cares about grinding his axes against whoever he thinks in MLB has wronged him.  

That’s also exactly why he fit in with this organization.

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Tony said:

He’s absolutely exhausting to listen to. I have no idea how a Front Office put up with him for two decades +
 

Man alive..

Lets be honest - maybe he isn't as good today as he once was or maybe there are better coaches today than before.  But for a long time - Coop was amongst the best pitching coaches in the league. I will always stand by that.  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Lets be honest - maybe he isn't as good today as he once was or maybe there are better coaches today than before.  But for a long time - Coop was amongst the best pitching coaches in the league. I will always stand by that.  

He was definitely one of the best pitching coaches in the league for a long time. Probably until Sale/Q departed - but then either his magic ran out or he just wanted to do a one-size fits all approach to his pitchers. 

Yeah, the rebuild was hard, but he had live arms. They needed to go elsewhere for help.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Damn it.  He came close to throwing Hahn and Haber under the bus.  

How did he almost do this? What did he say? Genuinely curious. Didn't listen to the interview.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

41 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

How did he almost do this? What did he say? Genuinely curious. Didn't listen to the interview.

They were discussing the pitching decisions for game 3:

Spiegal: Was it you or Ricky pulling those strings?

Coop: Oh let me tell you something everybody had a say in what was going on. Everybody had a say.  

It's too bad they didn't ask him who was "everybody." 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tony said:

He’s absolutely exhausting to listen to. I have no idea how a Front Office put up with him for two decades +
 

Man alive..

That being said, prior to the last few years, the FO has been exhausting for a lot more than two decades

Edited by Fernando Tatis Jr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

That being said, prior to the last few years, the FO has been exhausting for a lot more than two decades

Seriously change your name lol

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disgruntled ex employees given a platform always focus on themselves. Don cooper was well paid and well taken care of for decades with this club . If he wanted to stay employed through his 90 th birthday and die on a piece  of apple pie thank god it didn’t happen. Neither did phil Jackson or coach Q , people in sports get fired and move on. The Sox were loyal and they found out they had a rotten egg in the baseball hen house. See ya, next time be humble the Sox game you a damn good fortune .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They were discussing the pitching decisions for game 3:

Spiegal: Was it you or Ricky pulling those strings?

Coop: Oh let me tell you something everybody had a say in what was going on. Everybody had a say.  

It's too bad they didn't ask him who was "everybody." 

Not sure why Chicago media didn't discuss Hahn's involvement with the Game 3 plan (and whether Kenny chimed in). Hahn skates as always (actually gets an award followed by everyone feeling sorry for him after the La Russa hire) while everyone else pays the consequences. Keuchel's short and poor performance prevent the Sox winning in 2, Sox had to burn up 4 2/3 bullpen innings (scoreless would have made the difference in Game 3), but too big of a hole for the offense to climb out of after 5 (3 ER) in 3 1/3 innings.

Cooper was as candid as one could be, and more candid than those in the FO. Everyone's time has come, and after 32 years it's gotta be a bitter pill to swallow, regardless of outsiders perspective. He faced up to painful questions, even after 5 months have passed. I feel more compassion for him as a person, and appreciation for what he meant to the club when he was truly making a positive contribution for at least a decade as pitching coach, and the time before that. I was harsh the past few years with what I believe are valid criticisms, but who knows what decisions were made over his head. I appreciate his thoughts on Ricky Renteria as well, and I hope both are able to find peace and be able to contribute, be it Cooper's work with the High School team and Ricky returns to MLB after his fully paid year long vacation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ron883 said:

https://www.radio.com/670thescore

The notoriously smarmy interview that is Don Cooper will be on Spiegel and Parkins at 5. We really haven't heard anything from him since he was fired. I'm interested in his version of things, if it was amicable, etc. There will probably be no drama, but who knows. Coop usually causes drama when he goes on the radio. 

He is colossally overrated and unrelatable. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Capital G said:

He's like Trump. No filter. Only with way less impact on society. 

Both positive and negative impacts.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The decision to interview Cooper at this juncture was an attempt to stir the pot for ratings. Glad I didn't listen to it.

It is time to move on from Coop and focus on what Katz has been doing to help our pitchers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, quickman said:

Disgruntled ex employees given a platform always focus on themselves. Don cooper was well paid and well taken care of for decades with this club . If he wanted to stay employed through his 90 th birthday and die on a piece  of apple pie thank god it didn’t happen. Neither did phil Jackson or coach Q , people in sports get fired and move on. The Sox were loyal and they found out they had a rotten egg in the baseball hen house. See ya, next time be humble the Sox game you a damn good fortune .  

Phil Jackson wasn’t fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

pushed out the door.. Practically fired/released, whateever you want to call it.

I don’t think this is true at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think this is true at all.

I thought it was well known knowledege that Jackson was told he wasn't coming back again. Practically fired/let go/released.  Whatever fancy word we wanna use.. Though I am a Pacers fan, so could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't comment on the interview since I didn't hear it. But it always tough to leave an organization after a long time. Many times it is not a good experience. If Cooper feels bad, join the club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Cooper has any interest in that.  Don Cooper serves Don Cooper.  He doesn't GAF about analyzing baseball he cares about grinding his axes against whoever he thinks in MLB has wronged him.  

I listened to the interview and he was specifically asking the executive producer to hire him as a pitching analyst for the Sox and Cubs both.  So to me that sounds like more technical stuff, and if the Score had any sense (they probably don't), they would hire him for that role, and be very careful to screen callers, select appropriate topics, etc. manage him very well to get the best out of him.  

I don't think anyone wants to listen to him go star magazine/tmz for half an hour and turn the entire Chicago baseball scene into some soap opera/british royal family bullshit, but if he has the chance to prepare for about a 10-15 minute segment where he discusses recent pitching performances and makes suggestions on things, and gives his opinions on what kind of approach this or that pitcher should take in a certain situation, what pitches are working and not, which guys are out of whack mechanically, etc. then that could be great.

But again, knowing the Score, they would probably do no prep work, wouldn't coach him on anything, would never even try to criticize him for anything, would expect nothing of substance out of him, and would just bring him on for a half hour to ramble and complain about various things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I thought it was well known knowledege that Jackson was told he wasn't coming back again. Practically fired/let go/released.  Whatever fancy word we wanna use.. Though I am a Pacers fan, so could be wrong.

According to The Last Dance, JR did try to bring him back in the summer of 98, but that was after JR had allowed the situation in the organization to deteriorate over years to the point Phil wasn’t going to say yes, especially not to a deal that didn't include a long-term commitment. The best description is not that he was fired, rather he was reinsdorfed.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

pushed out the door.. Practically fired/released, whateever you want to call it.

Yep, like most people in Jerry’s orbit he can’t fully control. No competent person were going to stay with the two Jerrys mess anyway.


https://www.liquisearch.com/jerry_krause/the_chicago_bulls/the_last_dance

After contentious negotiations, Jackson was signed for the 1997–98 season only. Krause announced the signing by emphasizing that Jackson would not be rehired even if the Bulls won the 1997–98 title. Jackson then told Krause that he seemed to be rooting for the other side, to which Krause responded, "I don't care if it's 82-and-0 this year, you're fucking gone."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He might be the only coach or manager in pro baseball that doesn't understand that they are hired to be fired.  Lots of good managers and coaches get fired.  I'd love to know the total number of coaches and managers who were fired in MLB during Cooper's run here.  The Sox loyalty to him was borderline historic, can't believe he can't see that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×