More of Manfred's Bullshit

YourWhatHurts

I'm ok with trying anything at the minor league level. I'm not sure about the pickoff stuff...never really thought about it. But after years of hitters not adjusting to the shift, I'm ok with defensive limitations. Try it out. See what happens. Anything that lowers three true outcomes, time of game and makes the game more enjoyable to watch, I'm interested.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

I'm ok with trying anything at the minor league level. I'm not sure about the pickoff stuff...never really thought about it. But after years of hitters not adjusting to the shift, I'm ok with defensive limitations. Try it out. See what happens. Anything that lowers three true outcomes, time of game and makes the game more enjoyable to watch, I'm interested.

More hits and fewer outs increases the time of the game.

• Like 4

MLB has hired mostly trash in the Commissioner office, starting with the first, committed segregationist Landis. So glad Landis’ name was finally expunged from the MVP trophy so Jose Abreu’s award wasn’t tainted last season.

The current assclown commissioner was so drunk he couldn’t speak without slurring his speech while presenting what he deems as “The Piece of Metal” last October to the Dodgers. 

There are several valid candidates for worst Commissioner ever. In the end, these are the (always) men hired by the owners, to represent the owners. The same owners who have great disdain for those who play the game, the fans who cheer them, and on many occasions the integrity of the game.

22 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

There is no way I can state my feelings on this asshat without getting banned, so I won't even bother.  Worst commissioner ever.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, flavum said:

Shorter at bats decreases time of game.

How will the at bats get shorter?

Right now, guys are selling out to pull the ball for power. Teams make there be some penalty for this by over shifting. Players have continued pulling because the power is more valuable and that outweighs the penalty of the overshift.

Take away the penalty and people will sell out for power even more! Plus more runners on, so even more reason to swing for the fences!

48 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

MLB To Experiment With Rule Changes In Minor Leagues - MLB Trade Rumors

So now he's trying to eliminate the shift and stop a pitcher from controlling the running game.

There is no way I can state my feelings on this asshat without getting banned, so I won't even bother.  Worst commissioner ever.

It wasn't easy to win the award but I agree with you..."worst commissioner ever."

• Like 1

The pitch out stuff is not really making sense to me. I mean, was that really a problem? I hadn't heard about it being an issue. Seems very stupid to make this rule change.

The elimination of shift is at least slightly more reasonable, but I don't like it in general. Limiting the opposing teams defensive strategy just to manipulate the game so there's more hits seems lame as hell. Invest in better hitting strategies, different types of hitters, etc. 

59 minutes ago, flavum said:

The analytics say the best way to beat the shift is to hit the ball over the shift so FO's dont want hitters adjusting to the shift.  As long as there is a shift this thinking will never change. 

I say we eliminate off-speed pitches too. Actually, just eliminate the pitcher all together. Put a pitching machine up there and letter-rip. 

What a bunch of bs. So if pitchers can't hold runners on does that mean no more steals? Or there will be a limitation as to how far the runner will be able to leadoff? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

Manfred sucks. Nobody likes Manfred. Not the players, not the owners, not the fans, etc. I don't know how the most traditionalist game in the world ended up with this Ivy League stiff who is constantly trying to change the game that has been played with the same rules for 100+ years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Manfred sucks. Nobody likes Manfred. Not the players, not the owners, not the fans, etc. I don't know how the most traditionalist game in the world ended up with this Ivy League stiff who is constantly trying to change the game that has been played with the same rules for 100+ years.

Here is your answer.

“But the rise of analytics also has resulted in another massive shift: an influx of white, male graduates of Ivy League schools and other prestigious universities into teams' front offices. In a data analysis conducted by ESPN, the percentage of Ivy League graduates holding an organization's top baseball operations decision-making position -- which, depending on the club, could be its president, vice president or general manager -- has risen from just 3% in 2001 to 43% today; while the percentage of graduates from U.S. News & World Report's list of the top 25 colleges -- both universities and liberal arts schools -- holding the same positions has risen from 24% to 67%.

This rise coincides with a drop in former players running front offices over the same period, from 37% to 20%, while the percentage of minorities running front offices has risen, but from just 3% to 10%. Additionally, no woman holds the top baseball operations position for any of the 30 major league clubs.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29369890/inside-rise-mlb-ivy-league-culture-stunning-numbers-question-next

Manfred is simply an extension of what has been happening across MLB over the last 15 years. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, raBBit said:

His constant rule changes are ruining the game.  I support getting calls correct with replay and would like electronic balls & strikes.  Seven inning games and the man on 2nd for extra innings is just pure crap.  The need to speed the game might work for the occasional fan...but I will happily sit through a 14 or 15 inning game.  If it's past your bedtime...go home.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, poppysox said:

His constant rule changes are ruining the game.  I support getting calls correct with replay and would like electronic balls & strikes.  Seven inning games and the man on 2nd for extra innings is just pure crap.  The need to speed the game might work for the occasional fan...but I will happily sit through a 14 or 15 inning game.  If it's past your bedtime...go home.

I get it for this year. We saw what happened to the Cardinals and Marlins last year, you have to do something to be ready if there is an outbreak that knocks a team out for 2 weeks. I have no urge to see 7 inning doubleheader’s in 2022.

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I get it for this year. We saw what happened to the Cardinals and Marlins last year, you have to do something to be ready if there is an outbreak that knocks a team out for 2 weeks. I have no urge to see 7 inning doubleheader’s in 2022.

Agreed.

I've always been somewhat perplexed by significant infield shifts. If you're going to put the 3rd baseman at SS on me I'm practicing my bunting down the line at third and taking first base every time. I probably only need to that that bunt down twice in a season to completely eliminate the shift.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, raBBit said:

Can they somehow get rid of him?

Shifting is smart baseball.  It also makes the game worse (by, for one, encouraging power hitters to bunt).  No one wants to see that.  I am fine with the elimination of the shift.  There is something unnatural when seeing a sharp grounder up the middle or line drive to right becoming outs because they are hit right at a fielder.

The rise of analytics has helped smart teams win more baseball games.  The rise of analytics has also made the game less fun and less attractive to viewers.  When Manfred and others talk about shortening the game time to help make baseball more popular, they are completely missing the point.  Baseball isn't unpopular because games have become 3+ hours instead of 2 1/2, it's because analytics has changed the way the game is played to be more boring.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Shifting is smart baseball.  It also makes the game worse (by, for one, encouraging power hitters to bunt).  No one wants to see that.  I am fine with the elimination of the shift.  There is something unnatural when seeing a sharp grounder up the middle or line drive to right becoming outs because they are hit right at a fielder.

The rise of analytics has helped smart teams win more baseball games.  The rise of analytics has also made the game less fun and less attractive to viewers.  When Manfred and others talk about shortening the game time to help make baseball more popular, they are completely missing the point.  Baseball isn't unpopular because games have become 3+ hours instead of 2 1/2, it's because analytics has changed the way the game is played to be more boring.

Nah, hitters should learn to adjust to it. Make them be better.