2021 spring training of non mlb ready prospects

Dominikk85

Yermin and Vaughn have looked quite good so far in spring but are you concerned about the spring showing of some of the invited non mlb ready prospects? 

Burger, sheets, Adolfo, Gonzalez and Rutherford have not done very well so far. 

Granted those are not super important prospects for the Sox as the core is pretty much set and the future probably hinges more on the new Cuban hitters and the young pitchers than on those older second tier hitters but nonetheless it would be nice if one or two of them could step up. 

Obviously it is also only about 10 PAs or so for each so stats don't really Say much at that point. As I have not seen much spring training does anyone of them look better than their stats and has maybe taken a step forward? 

On 3/12/2021 at 2:40 AM, Dominikk85 said:

Yermin and Vaughn have looked quite good so far in spring but are you concerned about the spring showing of some of the invited non mlb ready prospects? 

Burger, sheets, Adolfo, Gonzalez and Rutherford have not done very well so far. 

Granted those are not super important prospects for the Sox as the core is pretty much set and the future probably hinges more on the new Cuban hitters and the young pitchers than on those older second tier hitters but nonetheless it would be nice if one or two of them could step up. 

Obviously it is also only about 10 PAs or so for each so stats don't really Say much at that point. As I have not seen much spring training does anyone of them look better than their stats and has maybe taken a step forward? 

I've noticed the same thing but I also think this is such an unusual year versus past Spring Trainings.   Most of those guys have not played in a competitive game in 18 months.  A lost year must play havoc on their timing.  I was quite confident in 2018 that between Adolfo/Lugo/Rutherford one would break out and be our starting RF today...then they all went and struggled in AA in 2019 (which is a big jump...and Birmingham hard place to hit) and lost 2020 to Covid and now we don't really think of them as interesting....this would have been so different with a full 2020...but they suffer from the inaction.  I think until the all star break you can't really begin evaluating the Sox young talent. 

I wouldn't look at any of it seriously. Look at Spencer Torkelson - he's only 1 for 20. They just need to get back to playing every day. Judging these guys on 10 to 20 AB's isn't anything when they haven't face live competition in over a year. This minor league season is going to be very interesting for not just the Sox but all 30 teams.