Game Thread - 3/15 Sox vs Cubbos - 3:05 PM CST

ron883

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Teams like the A's and Rays exceed expectations every year because their rosters are so ridiculously deep and versatile. It's not just the Dodgers and Padres who have more quality players than spots. Given where the Sox are with their payroll and competitive window, they should have something better than Mendick or Leury as cover if multiple injuries hit at once. That isn't too much to ask.

Are you crazy?  Dude Leury is the best backup super sub in my lifetime as a Sox fan.  We are spoiled.  Mendick has .5 fWAR in like 150 PA.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Are you crazy?  Dude Leury is the best backup super sub in my lifetime as a Sox fan.  We are spoiled.  Mendick has .5 fWAR in like 150 PA.

Leury is at 1.1 career fWAR in 480 games. He's solid defensively in the outfield, I'm not saying he's a bad player, but I would rather have a higher floor option as cover at 2B/3B/SS. That's my concern. Significantly more so than the OF. The Twins, for example, have Arraez or Jorge Polanco in that utility spot. Even Brad Miller as a 2B/3B/DH option was available for peanuts and would have been a upgrade on what the Sox have now.

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Because the guy who is safe normally doesn’t walk away. 

the only way it’s not a double play is if Maybin left before the other runner was tagged. 

That"s what it looked like to me. They didn't tag anybody while they were both on base, tagged the trail runner after Maybin left so that wasn't an out (even though the ump signaled out) and then they tagged Maybin.

God damn Blake Rutherford. So glad we wasted all those vets when we traded for him. I hated that deal then and hate it even more as Rutherford pisses away a chance to beat the Cubs. 

He's been a great addition to the Sox Single A and Double A teams. 

What a f-kin waste. Would make me happy if they released him tonight. 

Just now, vilehoopster said:

God damn Blake Rutherford. So glad we wasted all those vets when we traded for him. I hated that deal then and hate it even more as Rutherford pisses away a chance to beat the Cubs. 

He's been a great addition to the Sox Single A and Double A teams. 

What a f-kin waste. Would make me happy if they released him tonight. 

You seem a bit angry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Beast said:

So what? Rutherford sucks and is nothing more than organizational filler.

Organizational filler that grounded into a double play when we had a great chance to BEAT THE CUBS. 

Yes, I am angry. 

We gave up Todd Frazier, David Robertson, and Kahnle (that's the one that really hurt) for a guy who will never make Triple A. 

I don't even know; I just want to b****. Has Rutherford ever made it to Triple A?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

How did cease look? I saw the box score.  That doesn't always tell the whole story .

I don't know a lot about this pitching, but I think he looked great. I think he looked as good as we could possibly hope he would look. 

He didn't walk anyone, which is the major area of concern. The only hit he gave up was a weak bloop over 2nd base. I think it went as well as Sox people could want. 

9 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Organizational filler that grounded into a double play when we had a great chance to BEAT THE CUBS. 

Yes, I am angry. 

We gave up Todd Frazier, David Robertson, and Kahnle (that's the one that really hurt) for a guy who will never make Triple A. 

I don't even know; I just want to b****. Has Rutherford ever made it to Triple A?

I agree with every word that you have said.