Jimmy Cordero Has TJ Surgery

DirtySox

12 hours ago, ron883 said:

Time to get your eyeglasses prescription updated ya old coot

Seriously?

You insult the guy personally even though you're too stupid and lazy to actually look up the numbers?

2020 Wild Card Series - Oakland Athletics over Chicago White Sox (2-1) | Baseball-Reference.com (baseball-reference.com)

What he said is actually accurate.  It's 3.2 IP but that 0.00 ERA and 0.545 WHIP is probably the best set of numbers on the pitching staff after Giolito.

15 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

$717k in career earnings since 2018 per Sportrac.

What a joke.  Sick to my stomach for him.  

The Union better allocate more money to young professional players during the next agreement.  

Personally I think all of the owners should be cut the fuck out, the federal government should operate the league, the cities run the teams, and all the player salary money goes into a pool and is split up at the end of the year based upon the actual on-field statistical performance according to formula, with a high minimum salary going to everyone.  

There's a lot wrong with the way players are paid.  The first thing wrong with the system is that owners get anything at all.  The second thing wrong with the system is that the players are indentured servants for what is likely to be their most productive years.  Most players who are good enough to play at the MLB level aren't even going to reach FA through the arb process normally: they'll hit FA after getting cut first.  The third thing wrong is that players who aren't good anymore like Adam Dunn as an excellent example or Chris Davis now, who aren't even MLB level anymore, still keep getting all of this big money from the system that doesn't go to the players who are actually producing.

There's too much to actually fix within the context of MLB.  It'll never actually be a fair system for the players and especially it will never be a fair system for the public and the tax payers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re sick to your stomach over a guy who earned $717k in three years?

Compared to the rest of the league, yes.  This is the kind of player who may have to fight for a pension.  Maybe he doesn't get it.  The players get the shaft hard on the front end.  If they get through 6 years and are poised to sign a FA deal that pays them until they become eligible for a pension they're good.  

You can't look at the money in the system and then look at that figure and think that's fair.  Especially when you know that most contributing MLB players aren't ever going to hit that big money.

Edit: I'll add one thing: the prearb guys and the guys who are contributing members of a 25 or 26-man roster make most of the baseball games happen, and allow a 162 game season to exist at all.  Not only do the owners make money off of their back, past-prime shitty players like Adam Dunn and Albert Pujols do as well.  

Edited by YourWhatHurts

2 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Compared to the rest of the league, yes.  This is the kind of player who may have to fight for a pension.  Maybe he doesn't get it.  The players get the shaft hard on the front end.  If they get through 6 years and are poised to sign a FA deal that pays them until they become eligible for a pension they're good.  

You can't look at the money in the system and then look at that figure and think that's fair.  Especially when you know that most contributing MLB players aren't ever going to hit that big money.

Edit: I'll add one thing: the prearb guys and the guys who are contributing members of a 25 or 26-man roster make most of the baseball games happen, and allow a 162 game season to exist at all.  Not only do the owners make money off of their back, past-prime shitty players like Adam Dunn and Albert Pujols do as well.  

I have no problem feeling bad for the guy, but I’m going to have a hard time feeling sick to my stomach for any dude who made 3 quarters of a million dollars in three years and whose career isn’t necessarily over.  The guys who we should feel really bad for are the minor leaguers who are unlikely to ever make it to the majors and literally paid under minimum wage.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I have no problem feeling bad for the guy, but I’m going to have a hard time feeling sick to my stomach for any dude who made 3 quarters of a million dollars in three years and whose career isn’t necessarily over.  The guys who we should feel really bad for are the minor leaguers who are unlikely to ever make it to the majors and literally paid under minimum wage.

I agree that the MiLB guys get the shaft even harder.  So, likely, do scouts, MiLB coaches, etc.  But I would still agree with the previous poster re: the usage of the word sickening, relative to the amount of money in the system, and especially relative to all of the people who are taking from the pot and who don't deserve any of it, or who only deserve a small fraction of what they are taking.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Obviously SSS, but Detwiler was starting to be exposed before he was cut (declining K rate, with increasing BB & hard hit rates).  This is where is scouting comes into play and I’m fairly confident our scouts didn’t feel Detwiler could replicate his flashes of success going forward.

Hello, exactly. But you should explain this to the one I replied to, who believed Detwiler was "pretty darn good", yet "He Who "Must Be" Blamed For Anything/Everything" wouldn't use him. The lack of understanding of the extent of a front office's involvement in overall playing decisions by certain posters (not you) is baffling.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hello, exactly. But you should explain this to the one I replied to, who believed Detwiler was "pretty darn good", yet "He Who "Must Be" Blamed For Anything/Everything" wouldn't use him. The lack of understanding of the extent of a front office's involvement in overall playing decisions by certain posters (not you) is baffling.

Well, alls I knows is that I'm not usually a fan of waterboarding, but there's someone out there who said "I think Rodon is ready to be called up and sure, I think he'll be fine out of the bullpen". 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, alls I knows is that I'm not usually a fan of waterboarding, but there's someone out there who said "I think Rodon is ready to be called up and sure, I think he'll be fine out of the bullpen". 

Yes. His dosage of pitching the last 2 years has been really high.

4 hours ago, raBBit said:

He had 14 outings in September. If he pitched that much every month, that would be an 84 appearance year. No pitcher has appeared in 84 games since 2011. 

Yes. His dosage of pitching has been really high the last couple of years.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

What's a manager going to say?

"Well, we spent $20M on a DH and RFer who aren't worth shit.  We spent another $18M on a catcher when my current option is better with the staff and defensively, and this year as good offensively. I desperately need starting pitching, but I only have two playoff options and one is dealing with back spasms. Our lone trade deadline pick up was a worthless fifth outfielder. I didn't see Rodon pitch in Schaumburg, but going off reports they say Rodon looks good, and I am literally out of pitchers after 50 games. I'd rather not use him out of the bullpen in crucial games, because he's never done that before. We scraped the bottom of the low minors barrel for pitching throughout the year, I guess we'll try one more time with Rodon."

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

What's a manager going to say?

"Well, we spent $20M on a DH and RFer who aren't worth shit.  We spent another $18M on a catcher when my current option is better with the staff and defensively, and this year as good offensively. I desperately need starting pitching, but I only have two playoff options and one is dealing with back spasms. Our lone trade deadline pick up was a worthless fifth outfielder. I didn't see Rodon pitch in Schaumburg, but going off reports they say Rodon looks good, and I am literally out of pitchers after 50 games. I'd rather not use him out of the bullpen in crucial games, because he's never done that before. We scraped the bottom of the low minors barrel for pitching throughout the year, I guess we'll try one more time with Rodon."

The waterboarding is reserved for the person who said he looked good in Schaumburg. 

Just keep in mind - had they kept Detweiler on that roster they might well have won game 3. They needed literally 1 out and Rodon couldn’t get that in what, 4 tries? He didn’t have to be great, or even good, he just had to get 1 out without giving up 3 runs.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The waterboarding is reserved for the person who said he looked good in Schaumburg. 

Just keep in mind - had they kept Detweiler on that roster they might well have won game 3. They needed literally 1 out and Rodon couldn’t get that in what, 4 tries? He didn’t have to be great, or even good, he just had to get 1 out without giving up 3 runs.

Got it.

I argued here they should have kept Detwelier when he was cut and used him more, didn't agree with Ricky not using him. I also got into a blow up argument here the day they brought up Rodon, Even if he was throwing well, it wasn't a good time to experiment with a lifetime starter to get outs out of a bullpen in crucial games.

They were out of good starting options at that point, but I believe Detweiler was the better bullpen option for the playoffs. Didn't agree with the Bullpen game, but it was a joint Ricky/Rick decision.

16 hours ago, raBBit said:

He had 14 outings in September. If he pitched that much every month, that would be an 84 appearance year. No pitcher has appeared in 84 games since 2011. 

Yeah but he didn’t appear in 84 games. Has anyone ever appeared in 14 games in a month or are we just citing irrelevant facts?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vulture said:

Yeah but he didn’t appear in 84 games. Has anyone ever appeared in 14 games in a month or are we just citing irrelevant facts?

The Sox played 25 games in 27 days in September. Pitching 14 times in 27 days is abuse on his body. That does not allow adequate recovery. It is not irrelevant regardless if anyone has done it before.

• Like 1

Oddly enough if someone had asked me to pick the least likely player to fall to TJ surgery I think Cordero would have topped my list. Just something about the way he went out there with the short sleeves and big guns made the dude seem invincible. I really feel for the guy and hope he makes a full recovery. 

• Fire 1