3/20 | White Sox vs Cleveland | 3:05 CT | whitesox.com

Tnetennba

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

His slider is much more consistent.  He enough control issues with his fastball. He doesn't need to complicate it with the poor control of the curveball. 

I understand what you're saying.  At this point if he can be a above average 4th starter I would be happy. 

45 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Just my opinion but I think we see Moncada scratch the surface of his ceiling this year. 

He's figured out how to balance patience and being aggressive on hitter's pitches early in the count. 

Would not surprise me at all if his OBP approaches or exceeds .400 this year. 

While I’m equally as optimistic, I do think his OBP will take a bit of a hit batting 4th, but that we see better power numbers.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

It's Spring. Move on. Need to see less wildness moving forward. A 2020 Cease is not an option for this team. But Rome wasn't built in a day and Dylan has electric talent. 

Agreed, zero reason to panic just yet with Cease given it’s only his second start of spring.

5 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

It's Spring. Move on. Need to see less wildness moving forward. A 2020 Cease is not an option for this team. But Rome wasn't built in a day and Dylan has electric talent. 

I question that. 

There are some pitchers that have a big fastball but hitters still see it like a beach ball. Cease is one of those guys. 

I don't know what affects carry but it seems that Cease has the worst type which is exactly where hitters expect the fastball to be. There's no deception. 

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I question that. 

There are some pitchers that have a big fastball but hitters still see it like a beach ball. Cease is one of those guys. 

I don't know what affects carry but it seems that Cease has the worst type which is exactly where hitters expect the fastball to be. There's no deception. 

Cease’s problem is undesired cut on his fastball, which he’s been working on fixing all offseason.  I haven’t seen him pitch yet this spring, but I thought reports were promising from his first start.  Does anyone know how the action on his fastball has looked today?

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Looks like Engel hyperextended his left knee.   Could open up the door for Hamilton.

Yep walked off with the trainer. Losing him for a few weeks would suck considering all the LHP they start off with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep walked off with the trainer. Losing him for a few weeks would suck considering all the LHP they start off with.

Not only that, but speed and defense is such a big part of his game.  Just hope it’s not a ligament/meniscus tear.

Sorry about GaTech, Pastner saved his job somehow.  Btw, any good rumors on where Marcus Carr and Jamal Mashburn, Jr., are headed?  Is he prevented from a B10 transfer?  

Finally, how did everyone fall asleep on the Pac Ten?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think a Vaughn extension gets announced next week, so I doubt this happens.  Will be interesting to see to see if Collins has played himself into the 26th man role.  In all honesty, I wish they’d just send Lucroy down to AAA and give Zack the backup catchers job.  He deserves a shot as long as there is an insurance option in place.

Collins has earned the backup role IMO.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Cease is baffling. I've never seen a 98-99 mph fastball be as regularly hittable as Cease's. 

Hitters are usually all over it. 

He got to learn to vary the speed of his FB like Lynn does or hide the ball better on his windup. But he also has to have command. Once you can hit the outside corner on a regular basis he won't get hit like that.

4 hours ago, ptatc said:

He should never be allowed to throw a curve in a game. He rarely throws it for a strike and MLB hotter don't chase it.

I don't know ptatc his curve is looking good . Keeps the hitters off his fB. If he can throw  the curve and change up for strikes consistently he'll be very good.

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I question that. 

That was true for Giolito too though. Obviously such an improvement is rare but sometimes a little change can have a big effect. 

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

That was true for Giolito too though. Obviously such an improvement is rare but sometimes a little change can have a big effect. 

That's actually not true. Giolito had elite carry even with his old delivery. He just had no idea where anything was going and threw a lot of meatballs. 

12 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't know ptatc his curve is looking good . Keeps the hitters off his fB. If he can throw  the curve and change up for strikes consistently he'll be very good.

True but he's never been able to throw the curve for strikes. It's break is too big and often ends in the dirt. Most of the good breaking pitches for strikes were sliders. 

But you're right. If he ever could control it he would be deadly. 

Edited by ptatc

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic