The Jarred Kelenic Appreciation Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

14 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Imagine him in RF instead of Eaton.  We screwed the pooch with that miss.  

Unfortunately we can play a lot of this: What if we took Kyle Lewis, Kelenic, and didn't trade Tatis? All these things were projected/realistic to some degree. The lineup that comes out of that is instant dynasty.

At the same time, every team can probably play that game: What if Boston traded Benintendi instead of Moncada, what if the Cardinals raised their offer to Robert, Cubs didn't trade Eloy, Nationals didn't trade Giolito, Dunning, and Nationals Version of Lopez, etc.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Quin said:

Unfortunately we can play a lot of this: What if we took Kyle Lewis, Kelenic, and didn't trade Tatis? All these things were projected/realistic to some degree. The lineup that comes out of that is instant dynasty.

At the same time, every team can probably play that game: What if Boston traded Benintendi instead of Moncada, what if the Cardinals raised their offer to Robert, Cubs didn't trade Eloy, Nationals didn't trade Giolito, Dunning, and Nationals Version of Lopez, etc.

At this point, would take even Alek Thomas.  Well, guess we shall find out soon enough if they evaluated Cespedes and Colas correctly.

Add in Montas, Bassitt and Semien over those last two years as well.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

At this point, would take even Alek Thomas.  Well, guess we shall find out soon enough if they evaluated Cespedes and Colas correctly.

Add in Montas, Bassitt and Semien over those last two years as well.

I debated adding Alek Thomas since he was an obvious choice, but Harold has laid out why the team didn't draft him.

Not going to add Montas, Bassitt, Semien, J.B. Wendelken, who I'm shocked you didn't add. The reason being is you're going so far back at that point that you could change the draft positions, players prioritized in trades, etc. WAY too drastically over the past few years. Tatis, Kelenic, Lewis, Thomas probably don't alter that too much (you might not end up with Crochet due to Tatis, but there's a chance you still do, since the Padres drafted ahead of the Sox this year. I think we all take that trade).

The A's players do.

29 minutes ago, Quin said:

I debated adding Alek Thomas since he was an obvious choice, but Harold has laid out why the team didn't draft him.

Not going to add Montas, Bassitt, Semien, J.B. Wendelken, who I'm shocked you didn't add. The reason being is you're going so far back at that point that you could change the draft positions, players prioritized in trades, etc. WAY too drastically over the past few years. Tatis, Kelenic, Lewis, Thomas probably don't alter that too much (you might not end up with Crochet due to Tatis, but there's a chance you still do, since the Padres drafted ahead of the Sox this year. I think we all take that trade).

The A's players do.

Josh Phegley ended up sticking around longer than most would have predicted...

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Trade for Kelenic for LF problem solved

Too bad not the same owner pissed at Shields...or it would have been possible.

I think Nintendo's down to a 10% share, so no longer the decision maker, or we could have traded them the trademark to Takatsu's gong on entering the game, along with Switch games to be named later.

We'd have been much better off the last 9 years if Hahn hadn't made any trades.   Hopefully we make the best of Giolito, Cease, Eloy, Moncada and Kopech.
But you can segregate his work.  Trade for prospects:  decent.  Trade for veterans:  awful.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Not a fan of that pre pitch shimmy thing but if he continues to destroy baseballs I'll learn to live with it.  

Put him together with Soto, Tatis, Vladdy Junior and Walker Buehler over Fulmer, we might have ourselves a team that can actually beat the Twins and Indians.

All we're lacking is Ronald Acuna, Jr.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty crazy the Mariners are saying publicly they're competing, their outfield is struggling and they still haven't called this guy up. He's passed the service threshold what else do they need?

• Like 1

Just now, raBBit said:

Pretty crazy the Mariners are saying publicly they're competing, their outfield is struggling and they still haven't called this guy up. He's passed the service threshold what else do they need?

They need to trade Haniger for best possible early return and just let Kellenic and Lewis and eventually Rodriguez play everyday.

They’re not going to hang in the race without Paxson.

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They need to trade Haniger for best possible early return and just let Kellenic and Lewis and eventually Rodriguez play everyday.

They’re not going to hang in the race without Paxson.

None of this applies to my post.

-They don't want to trade Haniger.

-Rodriguez is in A ball I believe.

-Paxson has nothing to do with their outfield

I just feel like they had the PR issue and now they're just keeping him down to validate the approach as something other than clear service manipulation. They're saying they're competing, so make your active roster the best roster you can make it. They have already passed the service time threshold. No reason Kelenic isn't in the bigs. 

13 minutes ago, raBBit said:

None of this applies to my post.

-They don't want to trade Haniger.

-Rodriguez is in A ball I believe.

-Paxson has nothing to do with their outfield

I just feel like they had the PR issue and now they're just keeping him down to validate the approach as something other than clear service manipulation. They're saying they're competing, so make your active roster the best roster you can make it. They have already passed the service time threshold. No reason Kelenic isn't in the bigs. 

Everyone in Seattle org believes they will see Rodriguez within a year...Luis Robert-like progression through minors.

They do need to trade Haniger and open up a clear space, because I didn’t mention another top prospect in Taylor Trammell needs to play everyday as well.  They’re splitting time four ways with Lewis and Fraley, too.  Clearly, Fraley is the spare part.   

While Haniger is producing/healthy, the best move is to trade him.

Edited by caulfield12

Caulfield I am talking about Kelenic - the subject of the thread. You want to talk about everything Mariners but Kelenic. My point is still - what is holding this guy back from being on the MLB roster. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raBBit said:

Caulfield I am talking about Kelenic - the subject of the thread. You want to talk about everything Mariners but Kelenic. My point is still - what is holding this guy back from being on the MLB roster. 

And my return point is that Trammell, Haniger and Kyle Lewis are the three starters...for now.

Which one of those guys would you sit?  Perpetual top 30-40 MiLB prospect with untapped potential?  Returning AL Rookie of the Year, coming back into form from injury issues or Mitch Haniger?

And two of those guys are better CFers, so you’re benching a corner...certainly not playing Kelenic in center.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

And my return point is that Trammell, Haniger and Kyle Lewis are the three starters...for now.

Which one of those guys would you sit?  Perpetual top 30-40 MiLB prospect with untapped potential?  Returning AL Rookie of the Year, coming back into form from injury issues or Mitch Haniger?

Trammell has never hit above A ball. I would let him hit in the minors and have the superior player in the MLB.