3/21 | White Sox vs Diamondbacks | 3:10PM CT | Fox Sports Arizona

Tnetennba

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Didn't Katz have him completely rework his delivery? Still has an option left, so let him go to Charlotte.

The guy has a 5.93 ERA in his last 210 IP. He has no business logging any type of significant innings for a team looking to compete. None. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, quickman said:

AAA to start the season and have him work on stuff. Maybe we can trade him for something when some of these teams pitchers go down. 

Here's the problem: who starts if ANYONE gets hurt?

This is why the offseason was a joke.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

Hope Rodon can keep it up. This board, in general, was pretty nasty towards him when he resigned

I was one that was glad to see him go (was not a fan of his attitude)...but I don't remember too many people complaining about getting him for 3 mil. That is an absolute steal in terms of potential value. People were upset Sox didn't pony up more cash for one of the other options though - Kluber, Paxton, Quintana. 

3 hours ago, fathom said:

So here’s my question....who is our #6 starter?  Wonder if it’s Lambert.

Kopech.  

After that, whoever is throwing best in the minors between Stiever, Lopez, Lambert, etc.  

My money is on Lambert.

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Kopech. He needs to build up some innings anyway. If we never need him to start, great. If somebody gets hurt, then he gets a chance to build up some innings. He can throw 2, 3, 4 innings and Crochet can follow that up with a couple innings. 

2 hours ago, Tony said:

The guy has a 5.93 ERA in his last 210 IP. He has no business logging any type of significant innings for a team looking to compete. None. 

And Charlotte innings = White Sox innings? There's literally no harm in letting him start games in Charlotte, unless of course you find it necessary to give those innings to Matt Tomshaw instead?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

I agree. At the same time, who starts if Cease continues to walk the yard, or Rodon goes back to being made of glass, or if Rodon goes back to walking the yard?

As it stands right now, who else can be the next man up in the rotation? The abject lack of depth is worrisome. The choice to use Crochet and Kopech out of the pen, while fun, contributes to this lack of depth.

That said, for as disappointed as we all are in Lopez today, I'm equally pleased by Rodon not walking anyone today. Here's hoping Rodon can keep this up.

Here's also hoping that someone, ANYONE, can find enough in them to provide quality depth to this rotation. Its inevitable that a MLB team will need a 6th, and perhaps even a 7th or 8th SP over 162.

7 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I agree. At the same time, who starts if Cease continues to walk the yard, or Rodon goes back to being made of glass, or if Rodon goes back to walking the yard?

As it stands right now, who else can be the next man up in the rotation? The abject lack of depth is worrisome. The choice to use Crochet and Kopech out of the pen, while fun, contributes to this lack of depth.

That said, for as disappointed as we all are in Lopez today, I'm equally pleased by Rodon not walking anyone today. Here's hoping Rodon can keep this up.

Here's also hoping that someone, ANYONE, can find enough in them to provide quality depth to this rotation. Its inevitable that a MLB team will need a 6th, and perhaps even a 7th or 8th SP over 162.

Let’s be honest...we just need to survive until July.  If we suffer an injury or underperformance from the back-end guys, we will likely have to trade for another starter.  That being said, hopefully we can avoid major injuries and Kopech can replace the weakest link come June.  If not, my money is on Lambert being the guy most likely to hold a spot down.  Lopez sitting at 91 MPH makes him a non option at the moment and that really hurts us since he historically has had a rubber arm that can at least give you some innings.

52 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

And Charlotte innings = White Sox innings? There's literally no harm in letting him start games in Charlotte, unless of course you find it necessary to give those innings to Matt Tomshaw instead?

I was agreeing with you. 

37 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let’s be honest...we just need to survive until July.  If we suffer an injury or underperformance from the back-end guys, we will likely have to trade for another starter.  

Yeah, that was my viewpoint all offseason long. I wanted 2 innings eater types in FA to start the season, and to push Kopech & others to AAA. THEN, at the TDL, acquire your SP rental, with the assumption that rentals would be cheaper this year than usual. (Given that we're looking at a possible work stoppage in 2022.)

As it stands, this rotation is on a knife's edge. I dont want Lopez or Lambert or Stiever as the 6th or 7th SP. But where we are NOW, I cant laugh at Lopez's struggles. We NEED him, unfortunately, because of the choices that were made this offseason.

Or, more properly stated, we will likely need him before 162 are finished. 

19 minutes ago, Quin said:

I know it's Spring Training, but it hurts looking at how well Quintana is doing this spring.

I will never understand why a guy like Q wasn't acquired this offseason. He seemed like the perfect fit to get this team TO the TDL. Having him and another innings eater instead of Cease and Rodon would have been my preference to start the season.

Oh well, now we have to hope that Rodon can keep this up, while hoping Cease can find the strike zone.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Can you post this same info for Lopez today?

10 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Jimmy Lambert and Kopech are probably the next guys up until the Sox trade for Kevin Gausman at the deadline 

• Like 1

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic