Lopez optioned

runtheballdown

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Dumb question, but Lopez earn his major league salary while at Charlotte?

According to this article, the minimum in the minors for a player on the 40man is $46k. So I don't know exactly how that'll work, but I'd guess he may make more than the minimum, but definitely less than his ML salary.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, flavum said:

I’ll give Lopez credit for being pretty durable and he actually had a 2018 season we can only pray Cease could match this season. Hopefully he gets his act together and maybe another team will want him. 

I remember when Lopez came over here...he had a great changeup, and a real good curveball to compliment his 95 mph fastball. He had great potential, just hasn't worked out...yet...

43 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

how on earth is that a bad plan.  We have no SP depth. And we have no need for him in the bullpen.

Pretty sure it means Lopez and Lambert shouldn’t be the extent of SP depth in a year it’s needed more than ever, and so many solid FA options were available for pennies on the dollar. Quintana and Chris Archer come to mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

how on earth is that a bad plan.  We have no SP depth. And we have no need for him in the bullpen.

It really didn't have to be this way. Given the truly reasonable prices on FA innings-eaters, its laughable that the plan was to "wish and hope" that 2 of Cease/Rodon/Lopez stop walking the fucking yard every 5th day.

For less than what they paid to Kelvin Herrera, the SOX could have signed Q, Jake Arrieta, or Chris Archer. For slightly more, they could have signed Odorizzi or Smyly. In other words, they could have plopped ~150 to 180 IP of ~3.7-ish to ~4-ish FIP smack dab in the middle of the rotation. This would then cause another youngster [Cease or Rodon] to be used as additional SP depth, instead of having, like ZERO SP depth.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Yeah, I'd known about Fulmer's time at Driveline, which was BEFORE 2019. To my recollection, he would have trained with Katz AFTER 2019/before 2020, during that offseason. 

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, I'd known about Fulmer's time at Driveline, which was BEFORE 2019. To my recollection, he would have trained with Katz AFTER 2019/before 2020, during that offseason. 

In this case, your recollection seems to have no basis in objective reality though

Really good piece for those interested in Lopez. Hahn, La Russa and both pitching coaches met with Lopez regarding the assignment to the alternate site. Lopez took it well, Katz and Tony emphasized the positives of what they saw this Spring and the importance of staying stretched out and available.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Dumb question, but Lopez earn his major league salary while at Charlotte?

5 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

According to this article, the minimum in the minors for a player on the 40man is $46k. So I don't know exactly how that'll work, but I'd guess he may make more than the minimum, but definitely less than his ML salary.

Lopez signed a Major League deal to avoid arbitration in January. So he''ll be paid $2.1M regardless of where he plays. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Grinder said:

I guess we put Lopez on the already full scrap heap of shoulda, woulda & coulda have

We seem collect this class of players

They gave up Adam Eaton.

They weren't getting three Cy Young award caliber pitchers in return for him.

Gio went back to Katz and turned his career around. 

No way in hell could you now trade Eaton for Gio.

Lopez has been an aggravating tease for both teams.

Dunning is an X factor.

I hated to see the Sox trade him.

Edited by GradMc