Dylan Cease: 2021 Darkhorse Cy Young Candidate

MeanJoeCrede

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Like Giolito the proof will be under adversity, can he maintain his composure and mechanical changes?  Frankly Gio surprised me with his mental toughness.  Maybe Dylan will too.

It was an easy “fix” for Giolito, he wasn’t really broken. Don’t get me wrong, Ive been very enthusiastic about Katz, and remain optimistic. But we may have been buying in too easily to the golf contraptions, and the free curveballs in the new administration. So far Lopez is Lopez , and again, Cease has reminded us that he is Cease. Rodon looks good, but last year was sort of a mulligan for him. If he is at full strength and has had more time to work on his pitches instead of physical rehab, his progress if we do buy into it seems like it could have as much to do with circumstances as Katz.

Edited by Fernando Tatis Jr

2 hours ago, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

It was an easy “fix” for Giolito, he wasn’t really broken. 

What the heck are you talking about?  His arm swing was too long, he was throwing across his body, and had no consistent delivery.  He was like a different guy every time he took the mound.  Sometimes it was two-seamers and sliders.  Sometimes 4 seamers and a loopy curve.  I have always been a fan, but even at Charlotte, he was a mess.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

What the heck are you talking about?  His arm swing was too long, he was throwing across his body, and had no consistent delivery.  He was like a different guy every time he took the mound.  Sometimes it was two-seamers and sliders.  Sometimes 4 seamers and a loopy curve.  I have always been a fan, but even at Charlotte, he was a mess.

He was good before Katz arrived is what Im saying. This is about Katz “fixing” everyone, and Lopez and Cease are still questionable. Rodon wasn’t really broken either. He was always banged up. 

50 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I think the "arm swing is too long" isn't really a fix all for everyone. Plenty of hall of fame pitchers with great command have long arm swings. And plenty of short arm swing guys have bad command. 

For SOME guys shortening up the arm swing can simplify things and improve command but it isn't really an absolute. Lopez tried to shorten up his arm swing too and it hasn't worked so far. 

I'm not against starting the arm at 90 degrees instead of going to the classic "T" position before you cock the arm but it is not a magic bullet. 

Still glad Giolito made those changes as it seems to be exactly the right thing for him but it doesn't have to be for everyone. 

Regarding cease I do think he can be very good but I wouldn't overrated ST especially since his good results came with 5 K and 3 bb in 6 innings which is not a great k/bb rate. 

Edited by Dominikk85

16 hours ago, Fernando Tatis Jr said:

He was good before Katz arrived is what Im saying. This is about Katz “fixing” everyone, and Lopez and Cease are still questionable. Rodon wasn’t really broken either. He was always banged up. 

He was literally the worst pitcher in MLB.

He had good *stuff* before Katz arrived.  So does Cease.

2 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

He was literally the worst pitcher in MLB.

He had good *stuff* before Katz arrived.  So does Cease.

We were kinda worried about his stuff in 2018. His HS curve that people drooled over was gone, and his FB was now mid-90s. He also wasn't getting anyone to swing-and-miss. @fathom had a whole thing, where he would count how many he'd get a game and it was easy for him to do because there were only 1-2.

But kudos to the people that believed in him with his height and makeup. All the sudden he completely revamps his windup, and now he has one of the highest swinging strike percentages among starters.

It is incredibly rare what he accomplished. But hopefully lightning strikes twice.

He is much more likely to lose his spot in the rotation than win the Cy Young.

Of course I will also use this article to say KIKUCHI HIVE STAND UP so take my opinion with an extra small grain of salt.

Edited by TomPickle
  • Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He started off like the 2020 version, but he did settle down a bit. I don't think he will be a Cy Young guy, but should be improved.

I do worry that some of the hard hit balls in the 2nd-4th innings that went to the warning track will go off or over the walls in other ballparks or at other times of the year. The 3Ks and 3BBs in 4.2 innings are both not particularly good. 

But, his best 2 at bats of the day were Trout and Rendon in the 5th, as you say. 

He didn't look good during the first inning but improved as the game went on.  My biggest concern with him is how badly he misses with a lot of his off speed stuff.  Many of the pitches he threw were never close enough for the hitter to even think about swinging at them.  It's clear he has good stuff, but he still has a long way to go to control it.