White Sox vs A's 3:05 PM

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I just want to point out, in Eloy's defense, that plenty of very good outfielders get hurt trying to rob homers.  Gold glover Luis Robert broke his wrist doing the exact same thing in spring training.  It's not like Eloy tripped on his own shoelaces and dislocated his shoulder on a Gatorade bucket.  I get we're supposed to hate Eloy for his subpar defense, but blaming him for giving max effort on that play just doesn't seem fair to me.

Should never hate the player, he is only playing up to his capabilities, and he has tried to get better.

It's the Front Office and Manager / Coaching Staff who need to make the correct call and DH him. Perhaps stop drafting year after year of hitters who can't seem to play any position at the ML Level  besides DH and 1B if you're lucky. Can't expect anything different at this point.

3 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

This sucks and hindsight is 20/20 but I don't think anybody expects to pop the shoulder out simply by extending their arm in a normal direction over a fence.  People freaked about Tatis yesterday so let's just hope for some good news. 

Was there anything off about his technique with this stretch?

3 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

This sucks and hindsight is 20/20 but I don't think anybody expects to pop the shoulder out simply by extending their arm in a normal direction over a fence.  People freaked about Tatis yesterday so let's just hope for some good news. 

I don’t think wrapping your arm around the wall at the elbow is the preferred method

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I just want to point out, in Eloy's defense, that plenty of very good outfielders get hurt trying to rob homers.  Gold glover Luis Robert broke his wrist doing the exact same thing in spring training.  It's not like Eloy tripped on his own shoelaces and dislocated his shoulder on a Gatorade bucket.  I get we're supposed to hate Eloy for his subpar defense, but blaming him for giving max effort on that play just doesn't seem fair to me.

It's fair becuase he's just playing left field. All he has to do is wait for the ball to stop rolling, pick it up and throw it in.  (Literally) staying alive for his next at bat is the most important thing he can do on defense.     

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Should never hate the player, he is only playing up to his capabilities, and he has tried to get better.

It's the Front Office and Manager / Coaching Staff who need to make the correct call and DH him. Perhaps stop drafting year after year of hitters who can't seem to play any position at the ML Level  besides DH and 1B if you're lucky. Can't expect anything different at this point.

You act like they don't know he is a DH.. Someone has to play LF.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Was there anything off about his technique with this stretch?

He stretched over the wall and kept it going for the ball. He "hypr-flexed" it similar to someone trying to tackle someone as they are running by. That forceful "pull" is what forces the humerus out of the joint.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

He stretched over the wall and kept it going for the ball. He "hypr-flexed" it similar to someone trying to tackle someone as they are running by. That forceful "pull" is what forces the humerus out of the joint.

Is this likely to be a Madrigal situation where he needs offseason surgery?

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

This whole thing really complicates the vaughn plans. If he is out for more then 3-4 weeks...they basically have to start Vaughn...but there is a very good chance that Eloy can never take the field again...what then? 

Vaughn is starting the season no matter what

Kyle Scwarber tore his ACL colliding with someone in the OF and it wasn't enough for the Cubs to pull the plug on him as an outfielder. I don't think this will be the end of Eloy in LF unless Vaughn gets an opportunity in LF/RF and does well with it. The org is gonna give Abreu/Vaughn/Eloy every chance to make this work out there.

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

This whole thing really complicates the vaughn plans. If he is out for more then 3-4 weeks...they basically have to start Vaughn...but there is a very good chance that Eloy can never take the field again...what then? 

Eloy will be back in LF assuming this isn’t a season ending thing, unless one of Vaughn and Abreu gets hurt. That’s just the reality of this roster.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Is this likely to be a Madrigal situation where he needs offseason surgery?

Madrigal had a separation of the acromioclavicular (AC) joint. That joint has zero muscle around it and almost always needs surgery to stabilize it, if its significant. This looked more like a subluxation or dislocation of the glenohumeral joint or the typical shoulder joint. It has a great deal of muscle support. Many times they can strengthen it and not need surgery. It just depends on the severity and if the labrum is involved.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I would be shocked if Eloy never plays the field again. The Sox might be strict with him about how he plays around the wall, but Vaughn/Eloy/Abreu are too important for the org to just give up on one of them. That doesn't seem realistic at all to me.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Kyle Scwarber tore his ACL colliding with someone in the OF and it wasn't enough for the Cubs to pull the plug on him as an outfielder. I don't think this will be the end of Eloy in LF unless Vaughn gets an opportunity in LF/RF and does well with it. The org is gonna give Abreu/Vaughn/Eloy every chance to make this work out there.

They would have made him a DH in a second if it was allowed.  How many at bats can they let Eloy continue to miss due to fielding injuries?

• Thanks 1

Just now, fathom said:

They would have made him a DH in a second if it was allowed.  How many at bats can they let Eloy continue to miss due to fielding injuries?

They wouldn't have with the equivalent of Jose Abreu and Andrew Vaughn already on their roster. Supposedly the Yankees really wanted Schwarber as the centerpiece of a Chapman deal in 2016 but the Cubs traded Torres instead. The Cubs did everything possible to force Schwarbers bat into their lineup and by all indications that's what the Sox will do with Eloy & Vaughn.

10 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

They wouldn't have with the equivalent of Jose Abreu and Andrew Vaughn already on their roster. Supposedly the Yankees really wanted Schwarber as the centerpiece of a Chapman deal in 2016 but the Cubs traded Torres instead. The Cubs did everything possible to force Schwarbers bat into their lineup and by all indications that's what the Sox will do with Eloy & Vaughn.

Unpopular opinion: Trade Eloy,  Vaughn and Abreu can split 1B/DH. 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

i don't think the A's had anything to do with this.. it has to do that Eloy is a butcher in the outfield.

Obviously. It was moreso a comment directed to them as whenever we play them, something bad always seems to happen. And I commented as a reaction to them almost breaking Abreu's foot with that hbp...almost took the two biggest bats out of our lineup in a span of 20 minutes.