ELOY HURT! (3/25 Update: Torn Pectoral Tendon, Out 5-6 months))

Buehrle>Wood

Vaughn in LF makes the most sense, quite frankly.

You're in a shitty spot now. The biggest downside is Vaughn also hurts himself playing a position he isn't comfortable with, or just really struggles and it carries over to the plate. 

But what if he thrives in LF? Then all the sudden Eloy can take over DH long-term, and you solve two problems. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

The thing is, the lineup needed to carry the lack of rotation depth.

If we had signed Quintana, I'm less worried about Eloy being out for most of the season because he goofs around in the OF. Now we're relying on Engel, our 1B prospect, or Sheets to pick up the slack in LF.

Agreed.

Going into 2021 with 3 SP options that were among the worst in MLB in 2020 becomes more problematic when you lose Eloy's production. I still wouldn't make a hasty trade for a replacement, just yet, though. Hahn would be negotiating from a position of vulnerability. And depth would no doubt suffer MORE if they were to make a trade.

My preference would be to try to either use temporary internal solutions, or in a pinch, make a FA signing for someone currently on the street to try to band-aid it together until the TDL. Then, reassess. Maybe a youngster picks up his head in MiLB, or maybe Cespedes or Puig become more attractive between now and then.

But trading for an OF NOW would be panicky and reactive, IMO.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just judging by Hahn’s tone, I think they trade for someone. Vaughn talk likely just to give Sox more leverage.

Vaughn to LF rumor to get leverage in trade talks.

Open to trade talks to get leverage in Vaughn contract talks haha.

(But really, if they were 'close' but not final on a Vaughn extension, this sure gives him a TON more negotiating power)

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

IF Vaughn actually gets a shot in LF and can kinda do it, Yermin DHing would honestly be better than a cespedes signing IMO. dude can mash

I'd rather Collins at DH tbh, potential to get on base at a higher clip

• Haha 1

Just now, fathom said:

Yep nice to know it wasn’t just me who picked up on that 

He said at the beginning he will only talk about internal options and then mentioned moving externally multiple times and didn't shy from it when asked

IMO try to trade Grandal for Blackmon, kicking in a lower-end prospect or two if necessary due to the amount remaining on Grandal's deal.  It's some immediate salary relief for COL.  Or maybe Grandal + Ruiz for Blackmon.

C Lucroy / Collins

1B Abreu/Vaughn

DH Abreu/Vaughn

LF Blackmon

RF Eaton

...and it actually makes us a better team than we were before.  Grandal lovers would certainly disagree.

• Haha 10
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

IMO try to trade Grandal for Blackmon, kicking in a lower-end prospect or two if necessary due to the amount remaining on Grandal's deal.  It's some immediate salary relief for COL.  Or maybe Grandal + Ruiz for Blackmon.

C Lucroy / Collins

1B Abreu/Vaughn

DH Abreu/Vaughn

LF Blackmon

RF Eaton

...and it actually makes us a better team than we were before.  Grandal lovers would certainly disagree.

Your What Hurts?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

C Lucroy / Collins

1B Abreu/Vaughn

DH Abreu/Vaughn

LF Blackmon

RF Eaton

Huh???

They had to chip in for Arenado .... they'd have to pay like 70% of the salary of Blackmon for us to take it on and we'd give back NOTHING.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

Realistically, just sign Cespedes today, buy time so teams don't rake you over coals on cost. Get some more budget certainty and go after it.

I live in NYC. I watch the Mets.  Cespedes has lost all bat speed.  Gets beat on the fastball.  Think Encarnacion with a broken leg.  That’s why he’s available.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t buy Vaughn in LF at all. Look no further than the lineup today....if it was a real option, he’d be out there today.

He was in line at Walmart earlier buying a new glove.

• Haha 2