ELOY HURT! (3/25 Update: Torn Pectoral Tendon, Out 5-6 months))

Buehrle>Wood

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Some of LaRussa's LF with the Sox include Ralph Garr, Ron Kittle and Tom Paciorek, and of course Carlton Fisk. Throw Eloy with those guys, isn't it at least even money Vaughn can give you what they gave you defensively in LF?

Below average defense? Yes.

Probably worse obviously but its not like hes replacing a good defensive player.

Edited by manbearpuig

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

Vaughn in LF makes the most sense, quite frankly.

You're in a shitty spot now. The biggest downside is Vaughn also hurts himself playing a position he isn't comfortable with, or just really struggles and it carries over to the plate. 

But what if he thrives in LF? Then all the sudden Eloy can take over DH long-term, and you solve two problems. 

Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if this has been said but....

Asking a player to learn a new position less than a week before he's to make his MLB debut is absolutely insane IMO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Some of LaRussa's LF with the Sox include Ralph Garr, Ron Kittle and Tom Paciorek, and of course Carlton Fisk. Throw Eloy with those guys, isn't it at least even money Vaughn can give you what they gave you defensively in LF?

Maybe Vaughn will listen. "Catch what comes right at you or to your right. If it not one of those, get out of Luis' way."

10 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

NO NO NO NO NO! 

This kind of thinking finally lead a long time lurker to make his first post.  The Sox front office and ownership group does not get to kick the can down the road another year. I was an anti-rebuild guy and I'm tired of being told to be patient. The Sox threw away multiple seasons on tank jobs. It is year 5 of the rebuild. It is time to make some serious noise and go on a World Series run this year. Enough is enough. 

Well then tell that to the front office. haha. It's just me saying out loud what you know is true. Welcome to the board tho!

Kopech, Crochet, Cease, Heuer, Madrigal, Vaughn, hell, even Robert ... these guys haven't played 162, let alone 200+ games. This is why going out and getting another pitcher like a Bauer or someone was important. If you compare our depth at pitching to that of the Padres of Dodgers you'll see the problem. 

Also, I said, they may win the AL Pennant. If winning the Pennant isn't enough then what really is? I don't get why people would freak out about that or say I'm giving a free pass.

Me: The Sox can win 95 games and win the AL and go to the series .... 

Response: YOU NEED TO RAISE YOUR EXPECTATIONS, MANAGEMENT HAS GOT AWAY WITH THIS FOR TOO LONG!!

I'm just saying that although we have good pitching there's clearly an issue that a lot of these arms are going to struggle to be as sharp come September or October. Just the truth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=170913
Because a 733 career OPS guy in LF is probably not going to be enough...

.733 between ages 23-25. Still better than Leury and it’s not like improvement after age 25 is unheard of. He was rated a top forty prospect by multiple sources not that long ago

19 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

RIP to everyone's bets on Eloy mvp 

Nah, he's a shoe-in for most volatile player.

Funny every time something like this happens, it's they SHOULD do this, or they SHOULD to that.  The fact of the matter is, it will be Vaughn, or Engel, or whoever they can plug in for cheap because that's what they DO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if this has been said but....

Asking a player to learn a new position less than a week before he's to make his MLB debut is absolutely insane IMO.

Then prepared to get nuts. 

If Vaughn can't stick in LF, then what?  Say he is what everyone assumes he is going to be, who do you get rid of?  Eloy is very obviously a DH only.  Actually playing the game of baseball isn't for him.  You'd have to get rid of Jose for next year, right?  How do you keep all three of those guys?  Honestly don't see how you can.  Obviously the thought was hide Eloy in LF for a couple years and the problem works itself out.  But that clearly can't be done anymore. 

2 minutes ago, soulfly said:

If Vaughn can't stick in LF, then what?  Say he is what everyone assumes he is going to be, who do you get rid of?  Eloy is very obviously a DH only.  Actually playing the game of baseball isn't for him.  You'd have to get rid of Jose for next year, right?  How do you keep all three of those guys?  Honestly don't see how you can.  Obviously the thought was hide Eloy in LF for a couple years and the problem works itself out.  But that clearly can't be done anymore. 

abreu in 2 years.  You have to suck up the horrible LF defense.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=170913
Because a 733 career OPS guy in LF is probably not going to be enough...

I never said he's prime cut. But he is an athletic guy LH guy with speed, some power in the prime of his career. As far as the most ready guys available to play the position decently he seems the most likely choice if you want to keep Vaughn at DH and Leury as  a super sub. Rather Williams than Hamilton.

2 minutes ago, Vulture said:

.733 between ages 23-25. Still better than Leury and it’s not like improvement after age 25 is unheard of. He was rated a top forty prospect by multiple sources not that long ago

I feel like we’ve been asked to gratefully accept this type of player as a White Sox fan for my entire lifetime...when’s the last time we had a major injury and didn’t shoestring budget it?

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Best case scenario is Vaughn does well out there and can stay there for years to come.

Let's put that scenario at about 5%.  Here are the others:

He's absolutely terrible because he's never played the position before:  30%

He gets injured in the field...because he's never played the position before:  65%

I understand we're in the early stages of grievance here.. this reminds me of the LaRussa DUI thread a bit. 

I understand also this is a whole season ... but guys, this isn't the end of the world. It hurts, but we'll be able to find a serviceable replacement that can slot in low in the lineup and play 0.2 WAR baseball. There's always the trade deadline. We can tread water via internal and smaller external options until that point and then reassess. No reason to go sell the farm for a replacement or to freak out. There will be viable options that present themselves by Memorial Day & by that point we'll have a better understanding of budget and the rest of the team needs. 

• Like 1