ELOY HURT! (3/25 Update: Torn Pectoral Tendon, Out 5-6 months))

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

Let's put that scenario at about 5%.  Here are the others:

He's absolutely terrible because he's never played the position before:  30%

He gets injured in the field...because he's never played the position before:  65%

Or he has a collision with Robert, Anderson or Moncada due to unfamiliarity with the position...at least fewer fans means it’s easier to hear someone else calling for the ball, so there’s that.

13 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Again so we all ask... Why was Eloy not the DH after he collided with Robert? 

Because the Sox did not have the balls to tell Eloy no to this sham the past three years, and the FO kept signing and drafting more DH types as if it weren’t a problem.

Decisions like these is why this team now entering its ninth season under Rick Hahn has never won more than 78 games.

Kim Ng should have been hired in 2013.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

Act like a big boy team and go acquire someone via trade, overpay if you have to. 

With who, Crochet or Kopech?   There’s a pretty bare cupboard until you get deeper into the next wave of future starters...the problem is a trade is much likelier than eating a lot of money, that much is pretty much a given for the Sox.

Luring Nick Markakis or Jim Edmonds out of retirement will be the next bright idea.

Edited by caulfield12

Not going to read this entire thread, but I just want to echo what I am guessing tons of others have said: this is a massive organizational failure.  It's not hyperbole in saying Eloy is the worst defensive OF in baseball.  Dude never needs to play in the field again, which we've all been saying for at least a year.  What good is he if he's always getting hurt?  Or worse yet, ends up hurting someone else (Robert) too?  So we have a logjam at DH?  Then trade someone.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Vaughn isn't getting traded. That has to stop. It's not opinion at this point, not with the article USAToday did on Vaughn with quotes from Kenny through the entire piece. 

DH is much easier to fill than LF. Hell, put Yermin at DH for a few weeks, see what happens. The issue is having Collins/Yermin split it or something just gives you very little roster flexibility, but this was never going to be ideal. 

I agree. It’s too late, and we’re at too much of a disadvantage, to even bother trying to replace Eloy outside the organization. There will be no fair value trade with Vaughn. 

I just hate that it becomes a convenient excuse if he struggles. “How do you expect him to hit when he’s learning a new position!?” 

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I feel like we’ve been asked to gratefully accept this type of player as a White Sox fan for my entire lifetime...when’s the last time we had a major injury and didn’t shoestring budget it?

If there were a better free agent available at the moment I could see your point here

Edited by Vulture

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

Have we lost an Eloy for the year your entire life? Williams is an NRI option to filling at this point. 

If there were a better free agent available at the moment I could see your point here

Sure, Robin Ventura in 97 or Frank Thomas in 2001.  That was Canseco.  Which was mostly a marketing sideshow, but he was actually fairly decent. 

8 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

The same fans that think the  Sox put Eloy at risk by playing him in the field also want to try Andrew Vaughn in LF.  

The second Vaughn proves to me he's a dumbass fielder, I'll bring the pitchfork back out and demand his replacement. Until then...Vaughn, meet grass and wall. Do not touch wall. Wall is bad. Also do not touch Robert. 

In fact, we're going to draw a circle. You stay in circle. You go outside of circle, bad things happen. You might die. Inside circle=good. Outside circle=Bad.

"Hey Sodfather! Paint a big ass white circle in left field. Make sure it stays off the warning track and doesn't go into foul territory. Light the outside of the circle on fire, about 5 feet out. "

"You got it boss."

"Thanks Rog, you're the best."

Edited by ScooterMcGee

13 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Well then tell that to the front office. haha. It's just me saying out loud what you know is true. Welcome to the board tho!

Kopech, Crochet, Cease, Heuer, Madrigal, Vaughn, hell, even Robert ... these guys haven't played 162, let alone 200+ games. This is why going out and getting another pitcher like a Bauer or someone was important. If you compare our depth at pitching to that of the Padres of Dodgers you'll see the problem. 

Also, I said, they may win the AL Pennant. If winning the Pennant isn't enough then what really is? I don't get why people would freak out about that or say I'm giving a free pass.

Me: The Sox can win 95 games and win the AL and go to the series .... 

Response: YOU NEED TO RAISE YOUR EXPECTATIONS, MANAGEMENT HAS GOT AWAY WITH THIS FOR TOO LONG!!

I'm just saying that although we have good pitching there's clearly an issue that a lot of these arms are going to struggle to be as sharp come September or October. Just the truth.

I didn't see where you said win the pennant. You said something like the Sox can't compete with the Dodgers or Padres, and the best we can hope for is to gain experience and win some ball games. 

I'll take an AL pennant all day every day. Another first round playoff exit is completely unacceptable though. 

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Give him time? You didn't hear of those thing with Eloy until he got to MLB. ;)

Actually he got injured all the time in the minors.  The guy almost paralyzed himself in the Futures Game.

Edited by fathom
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

I didn't see where you said win the pennant. You said something like the Sox can't compete with the Dodgers or Padres, and the best we can hope for is to gain experience and win some ball games. 

I'll take an AL pennant all day every day. Another first round playoff exit is completely unacceptable though. 

We should have thought of that when we allowed the Twins to completely dominate the last 4-6 weeks of the offseason.

Don’t Stop Now by Dua Lipa comes to mind, or Don’t Stop Now Boys, Get it, Get It.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

Vaughn isn't getting traded. That has to stop. It's not opinion at this point, not with the article USAToday did on Vaughn with quotes from Kenny through the entire piece. 

DH is much easier to fill than LF. Hell, put Yermin at DH for a few weeks, see what happens. The issue is having Collins/Yermin split it or something just gives you very little roster flexibility, but this was never going to be ideal. 

Lol, dude I am not talking about trading Vaughn.  I have never once on this site insinuate that trading Vaughn is good idea or proposed.  I am talking about trading for someone outside of the org who can play LF this season, so Vaughn can DH/1B.   

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

The second Vaughn proves to me he's a dumbass fielder, I'll bring the pitchfork back out and demand his replacement. Until then...Vaughn, meet grass and wall. Do not touch wall. Wall is bad. Also do not touch Robert. 

In fact, we're going to draw a circle. You stay in circle. You go outside of circle, bad things happen. You might die. Inside circle=good. Outside circle=Bad.

Obviously collisions are a concern.  But just with the general running/sprinting/turning that all outfielders must do every day, a hamstring strain or other muscle pull is just as likely if not more so.  And for a player who has spent his career at 1B/DH, these types of injuries would seem unavoidable.