ELOY HURT! (3/25 Update: Torn Pectoral Tendon, Out 5-6 months))

Buehrle>Wood

25 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

What would it take to get Kris Bryant?

Oddly enough there was an article about that with three potential packages (speculation, of course).  None were devastating combinations of young talent.  Names like Collins, Stiever, Lambert, Burdi, Burger, Adolfo, Thompson...one package mentioned Cespedes.  I think he'd be off limits.

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Oddly enough there was an article about that with three potential packages (speculation, of course).  None were devastating combinations of young talent.  Names like Collins, Stiever, Lambert, Burdi, Burger, Adolfo, Thompson...one package mentioned Cespedes.  I think he'd be off limits.

I mean, the problem with any of those is getting Reinsdorf to take on a $20 million salary this year.

Hope Eloy doesn't end up like Carlos Quentin. I realize what potential disaster Eloy was in left field, but an offensive threat like him is rare. A loss like this can't be shrugged off.

I know that trades are easier said than done, but I think the Sox should do something to show their fans they are serious about making this rebuild. The team hasn't won 90 games in 15 years. We've had more than enough losing and also-rans. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Hope its not  putting too much pressure on Vaughn to perform both at the plate and in LF, but if hes gonna be a pro, hes gotta suck it up

I'm sure Vaughn will give it a good shot, but the simple fact is he is not a left fielder. Just like Carlton Fisk wasn't a left fielder.

4 minutes ago, whitesox91403 said:

What’s the story on Adolfo? Is he still not ready? This would seem like the perfect spot for him. 

Admittedly... I have no idea where he’s at development wise. 

He’s not ready. Williams/Engels is the only realistic in-house option among actual major league outfielders

Edited by Vulture

1 minute ago, NWINFan said:

I'm sure Vaughn will give it a good shot, but the simple fact is he is not a left fielder. Just like Carlton Fisk wasn't a left fielder.

The real worry is that he'll pull a hamstring running for a ball or tear up a shoulder diving for a ball or collide with a fence, or any of the other things that happen to guys who regularly play the OF sometimes - but which would be more likely with a guy who hasn't done this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, quickman said:

For now they will ride things out look on the scrap heap until Engel returns , then he will get the starting job until trade deadline time.  The Sox will add a rental if they are contending. This is how I see it and how the Sox act. 

Yep. And then they will say we lost this year of contention because of the injury. They love built in excuses. 

The Sox are going to have a log jam in a couple years. Your going to have Yoelqui Cespedes, Oscar Colas, Andrew Vaughn, and Eloy Jimenez playing for two outfield spots and one DH spot. One of them is going to have to benched or possibly traded.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

The Sox are going to have a log jam in a couple years. Your going to have Yoelqui Cespedes, Oscar Colas, Andrew Vaughn, and Eloy Jimenez playing for two outfield spots and one DH spot. 

Not gonna worry about that, as who even knows how good 3 of those 4 are

I was concerned that Eloy was carrying too much weight, was not in the best physical condition, and was susceptible to injury.

Extra weight is what contributed to Avi Garcia's injury.  Avi was able to come back and be a decent outfielder after surgery, losing weight and getting in better shape. 

Eloy has too much baby fat. Perhaps he can track what Avi G  did and return as an outfielder in a lot better physical condition.

1 minute ago, tray said:

I was concerned that Eloy was carrying too much weight, was not in the best physical condition, and was susceptible to injury.

Extra weight is what contributed to Avi Garcia's injury.  Avi was able to come back and be a decent outfielder after surgery, losing weight and getting in better shape. 

Eloy has too much baby fat. Perhaps he can track what Avi G  did and return as an outfielder in a lot better physical condition.

None of that had to do with an injury to his shoulder. In fact if he had more weight and couldn't jump high enough to get his entire shoulder over the wall he would have been better off. 

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The Sox are going to have a log jam in a couple years. Your going to have Yoelqui Cespedes, Oscar Colas, Andrew Vaughn, and Eloy Jimenez playing for two outfield spots and one DH spot. One of them is going to have to benched or possibly traded.

A couple years ago I thought they were going to have an OF logjam with Eloy, Rutherford, Adolfo, Basabe, Gonzalez, Walker. That's 6 guys in their top 15 prospects in their strong 2018 system, there's no way they don't have 2 starting OFs on their 2021 team out of that group.