ELOY HURT! (3/25 Update: Torn Pectoral Tendon, Out 5-6 months))

Buehrle>Wood

44 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

DWouldn't that be something if he ends up good enough there that Vaughn is the LF of the future and Eloy is the DH

Such a scenario would suggest this all may end up working in our favor, and I’m skeptical we’d ever be as “fortunate” as to have that happen. We lose a season of Eloy...but perhaps gain more in the coming years with him at DH. Who knows how many years of Eloy goofs we’d have to go through before the final “enough already he’s a DH” sentiment from yesterday? Perhaps the next one would involve Robert or Moncada?

I’m obviously just throwing around hypotheticals, but if we are going down the possibility of Vaughn succeeding in left field and Eloy at DH, then this all needed to happen...... (Cue Dr Strange’s million plus scenarios clip)

Edited by Flash Tizzle

13 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

I remember that experiment gone awry, wasnt that the Hawks brain child?

Yes, that was Hawk's work, and LaRussa was there to see it. One reason LaRussa shouldn't want to insert Vaughn in left field if he doesn't have to.

A healthy Engel is not the answer. He is not an every day player. The team needs a competent left fielder, the pitching staff needs a competent left fielder. This doesn' t mean that the team will get one.

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Is Meadows even available? Would seem very Unlike Tampa to trade someone when their value is low.

For Tampa Bay anyone is available if you meet the price. I just don't see the prices people just quoted accomplishing it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The Sox are going to have a log jam in a couple years. Your going to have Yoelqui Cespedes, Oscar Colas, Andrew Vaughn, and Eloy Jimenez playing for two outfield spots and one DH spot. One of them is going to have to benched or possibly traded.

Vaughn is a 1B.  Problem solved.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

Jay Bruce makes sense if the Yankees let him go. LH Power bat and having a solid spring forcing the Yankees to make a tough decision.

What about his .194/.242/.419 spring training slash line is solid?  Jay Bruce fuc*ing sucks.  

Just now, fathom said:

Yeah he would be less than ideal

Yeah, I mean I guess I'd bring him in as opposed to nothing, but I am confident that in the in-house solutions would be just as good as 34 YO Bruce who has been bad for several years.  

Ryan Braun I guess I could get behind.  Lefty would be ideal, but Sox aren't exactly flush with options.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I mean I guess I'd bring him in as opposed to nothing, but I am confident that in the in-house solutions would be just as good as 34 YO Bruce who has been bad for several years.  

Ryan Braun I guess I could get behind.  Lefty would be ideal, but Sox aren't exactly flush with options.  

Tauchman makes so much more sense

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, the Yanks aren't just going to give him away tho.  

If the Sox are serious they’re going to have to bite the bullet and give up some actual value. I’ve been against spending future assets but this changes the equation imo

Have to find a way to try to look at this loss of Eloy in a positive manor. For as good as he is at the plate he is almost as equally bad in the field. Maybe now the Sox will have a competent left fielder defensively. Maybe the rest of the team will see that they now all have to step up for the loss of Eloy mostly on the offense side of things and some guys will have career years at the plate. Maybe Vaughn will turn out to be an even better hitter than we think he will be. 

I'm trying. 

57 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The Sox are going to have a log jam in a couple years. Your going to have Yoelqui Cespedes, Oscar Colas, Andrew Vaughn, and Eloy Jimenez playing for two outfield spots and one DH spot. One of them is going to have to benched or possibly traded.

One man’s logjam is another man’s depth. Too bad we didn’t have a logjam in the present situation. Besides neither Cespedes or Colas are shoo ins as mlb regulars.

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Such a scenario would suggest this all may end up working in our favor, and I’m skeptical we’d ever be as “fortunate” as to have that happen. We lose a season of Eloy...but perhaps gain more in the coming years with him at DH. Who knows how many years of Eloy goofs we’d have to go through before the final “enough already he’s a DH” sentiment from yesterday? Perhaps the next one would involve Robert or Moncada?

I’m obviously just throwing around hypotheticals, but if we are going down the possibility of Vaughn succeeding in left field and Eloy at DH, then this all needed to happen...... (Cue Dr Strange’s million plus scenarios clip)

Not taking a pot shot at Eloy. It's a true pleasure to watch him hit. But I don't know if I've ever seen a taller, bigger injury-waiting-to-happen than Eloy out there in the field. This could be construed as one of those "stuff happens" moments in him trying to jump so high and put his arm in a weird spot in spring training game. Or it could be an error by our coaching staff not having some sitdowns with Eloy discussing outfield play. It's very disappointing news that he's out so long. I know Sox and Sox fans want to get another year out of Vaughn, but I'd make sure his bat is in the opening day lineup now that Eloy is gone.

I will conclude by saying I'm not mad at Eloy for trying to make the catch, just sad that he's out this long. Stoney had an interesting call on the play.