ELOY HURT! (3/25 Update: Torn Pectoral Tendon, Out 5-6 months))

Buehrle>Wood

5 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

What's crazy is that with all the ridicule I took for being pessimistic about this year, the one obvious potential danger I didn't list on my bullet points of things to be worried about... is the one that happened. Before the season even starts. Kinda numb, don't know whether to yell or laugh at the absurdity.

Yes, that's why you took all that ridicule

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I would see what Jake Cronenworth would cost you. He crushed RHP last year and can play all over the diamond so he wouldn't lose any value when Eloy comes back.

The Padres aren't going to trade arguably the best utility player in baseball. The asking price for him would also be ridiculously high.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

The Padres aren't going to trade arguably the best utility player in baseball. The asking price for him would also be ridiculously high.

I don't think he'd be cheap, but they signed Kim and Profar this off-season so he's more expendable on the Padres than he would be for just about anyone else. I would be willing to give up Kopech for him.

6 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I don't think he'd be cheap, but they signed Kim and Profar this off-season so he's more expendable on the Padres than he would be for just about anyone else. I would be willing to give up Kopech for him.

You're definitely in the right ballpark in terms of value. My first thought was Crochet or Madrigal, but trades of this magnitude involving win now players on win now teams aren't going to happen 6 days before Opening Day. I think the Padres signed Profar and Kim to give themselves excess depth which is something smart teams do and it'd be nice if we cheered for one of those. Profar was one of my top FA targets because he would have given the Sox credible depth at 2B/SS/3B/LF/RF. Right now I just don't think it's realistic to expect a contending team to trade a crucial part of their roster. The most realistic name to me is someone like Tauchman considering he's out of options but even that might be a stretch.

25 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Someone talk me off the ledge. Are we still going to be good?

Tough to say. Have to imagine a few players will regress to their career norms, but Moncada should hopefully return to form. The pitching staff has a lot of potential, but big question marks. Robert needs to grow, haven’t liked his at-bats in ST. Its still Minnesota’s division until we prove them otherwise. 

But crazier shit has happened, look at 2005 and all the career years happening at once. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

You're definitely in the right ballpark in terms of value. My first thought was Crochet or Madrigal, but trades of this magnitude involving win now players on win now teams aren't going to happen 6 days before Opening Day. I think the Padres signed Profar and Kim to give themselves excess depth which is something smart teams do and it'd be nice if we cheered for one of those. Profar was one of my top FA targets because he would have given the Sox credible depth at 2B/SS/3B/LF/RF. Right now I just don't think it's realistic to expect a contending team to trade a crucial part of their roster. The most realistic name to me is someone like Tauchman considering he's out of options but even that might be a stretch.

No way you trade Kopech for Jake.   That would be the worst sell buy high trade in history.  Getting Myers with subsidy from Padres for anyone not named Kopech, Cease or Crochet would be the better at least more realistic option.  Or Hunter Renfroe, someone like that. 

Ok if they think anything of any of these triple league players now would be there time , but they are all horrible , none will make it this is why people are bringing up cespedes and Vaughn and trades. These other guys are nothing only triple a players who fill out a roster and will eventually get released when a back fill of draft picks come in. 

16 minutes ago, quickman said:

Thank god this website doesn’t run this team . Put together Don t know what people do for a living but certainly it’s not business . The Sox won’t trade main chips especially pitching for left fielders. Honestly check yourselfs. So dumb 

“Check yourselfs” lol F off 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, quickman said:

Thank god this website doesn’t run this team . Put together Don t know what people do for a living but certainly it’s not business . The Sox won’t trade main chips especially pitching for left fielders. Honestly check yourselfs. So dumb 

The Padres don't even have enough playing time for Jake C, Kim, Profar and moving quickly CJ Abrams, not to mention Nola can't catch everyday and blocked at 1B/2B.   Abrams will own 2B or CF if they shift him, but for now a SS. 

1 hour ago, quickman said:

Agreed that they should not trade Kopech for Gallo. They will White Sox this hole they have and get someone off the scrap heap until Engel is ready. Maybe sign someone like Reddick for a one year deal.

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Apparently the Yankees are shipping tauchman. He had a down year last season but was very good in 2019 and probably wouldn't cost much. 

According to the noise on Pinstripe Alley (Yankee blog), they are keeping Tauchman as their 5th Of'er. 

Vaughn may not be too bad out there in LF.  He just needs to not run into Robert, not fall into the netting like a puppet with his strings cut, and not run into a wall ala Aaron Rowand.  So, essentially don't do the stuff Eloy has done to hurt himself.

In all seriousness, though, this could be a great opportunity for Vaughn.  If he's decent out there, he solves several problems for the Sox and makes himself even more valuable.

I actually really like the idea of Williams and Vaughn holding it down until engel is ready. See how collins looks at DH and move pieces as you can. This is a better option than Puig or Cespedes right now, and i really dont think Ryan Braun has anything left. The only advantage of going out and getting a full time LF is having Engel as the super outfield sub and keeping Vaughn as DH, but i just dont see that happening in 5 days.

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Vaughn may not be too bad out there in LF.  He just needs to not run into Robert, not fall into the netting like a puppet with his strings cut, and not run into a wall ala Aaron Rowand.  So, essentially don't do the stuff Eloy has done to hurt himself.

In all seriousness, though, this could be a great opportunity for Vaughn.  If he's decent out there, he solves several problems for the Sox and makes himself even more valuable.

If Zack is hitting it won't be too much of a loss. There is only room for so many hitters in the lineup. Vaughn played OF at Schaumburg and seems like a decent athlete. They will survive the loss of Eloy's glove in LF. Play ball!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pcq said:

If Zack is hitting it won't be too much of a loss. There is only room for so many hitters in the lineup. Vaughn played OF at Schaumburg and seems like a decent athlete. They will survive the loss of Eloy's glove in LF. Play ball!

It's come to this again. Hoping a Zach Collins type can fill in at DH. I've seen this story before and odds are we will be looking for another hitter in June. Unlike last year however, 8 teams won't be making the playoffs. 

Edited by SonofaRoache