ELOY HURT! (3/25 Update: Torn Pectoral Tendon, Out 5-6 months))

Buehrle>Wood

I know it's likely going to be a Williams/Hamilton/Engel/Leury rotation, but I'm hoping for something that's more fun like Vaughn excels in LF and Collins mashes at DH, or one of Sheets, Adolfo, Rutherford finally breaks through, or the wildest scenario: Cespedesmania. Then Eloy comes back late in the season and goes hogwild.

I want storybook drama, damnit.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

I know it's likely going to be a Williams/Hamilton/Engel/Leury rotation, but I'm hoping for something that's more fun like Vaughn excels in LF and Collins mashes at DH, or one of Sheets, Adolfo, Rutherford finally breaks through, or the wildest scenario: Cespedesmania. Then Eloy comes back late in the season and goes hogwild.

I like storybook stuff, too, but I don't think Eloy will go hogwild. He may not even come back, and, if he does, it will take at least a little time to work off the rust. This is a big offensive loss for the White Sox.

• Like 2

Just now, NWINFan said:

I like storybook stuff, too, but I don't think Eloy will go hogwild. He may not even come back, and, if he does, it will take at least a little time to work off the rust. This is a big offensive loss for the White Sox.

True, but I've seen worse.  It's not like we lost the franchise's best-ever player for the season and replaced him with Carl Everett at DH or anything.

• Fire 3

34 minutes ago, Quin said:

I know Reinsdorf doesn’t want to spend money but failing to bring in any external option would really be malfeasance.

Between Vaughn platting out of position, Leury, Eaton, Hamilton, even Robert - pretty much all the options are guys with some injury risk. 

If there are no better options traded for, sign a Cargo or Cespedes, stash them at Schaumburg, and at the least you have a replacement level player who could step in for a week or two at short notice.

Losing Eloy hurts a lot. Having to call up Rutherford and having him make Mazara look good because we assumed nothing else would go wrong would be way worse.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know Reinsdorf doesn’t want to spend money buy failing to bring in any external option would really be malfeasance.

Between Vaughn platting out of position, Leury, Eaton, Hamilton, even Robert - pretty much all the options are guys with some injury risk. 

If there are no better options traded for, sign a Cargo or Cespedes, stash them at Schaumburg, and at the least you have a replacement level player who could step in for a week or two at short notice.

Losing Eloy hurts a lot. Having to call up Rutherford and having him make Mazara look good because we assumed nothing else would go wrong would be way worse.

Who is Cargo?

It is going to be tough for Hahn to fill this with a player of significance quickly, even if JR is kidnapped and money will be thrown at the problem. Hope springs eternal, and there aren't many worse looks than a salary dump right before the season starts. They can probably get a mediocre guy pretty easily, but if they want to offset Eloy's production within any reasonable level, it's going to be hard. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It is going to be tough for Hahn to fill this with a player of significance quickly, even if JR is kidnapped and money will be thrown at the problem. Hope springs eternal, and there aren't many worse looks than a salary dump right before the season starts. They can probably get a mediocre guy pretty easily, but if they want to offset Eloy's production within any reasonable level, it's going to be hard. 

yeah, it's either going to be the cespedes/reddick route, and if its trades you'd have to target the extremely rebuilding and cost conscious teams that have already sorta stripped things down. I'd say it's down to Cincy, Pit, Bal. In theory, AZ should be there with Calhoun. I don't think SEA really wants to suck this year, but at least would probably wait until 7/31 for the deadline for someone like haniger.

Mancini may be the best player. You could probably get castellanos if you took on salary. You could probably get Winker if you paid $1.10 for him now.

One guy who maybe you could get since the DH faltered in the NL is Adam Duvall from the Marlins, but I unno. He would provide the power loss.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You’re not going to offset eloys production, it’s just not going to happen. This costs the white Sox several games in the standings no matter what - even if things go well and Vaughn takes that position, well now we’ve lost depth somewhere else.

But, if anything else goes wrong, this could turn into the kind of gaping lineup and defensive hole that costs the team a wild card birth. For now, at the very least you have to insure against that as well as you can, and buy time to see if another option appears.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

yeah, it's either going to be the cespedes/reddick route, and if its trades you'd have to target the extremely rebuilding and cost conscious teams that have already sorta stripped things down. I'd say it's down to Cincy, Pit, Bal. In theory, AZ should be there with Calhoun. I don't think SEA really wants to suck this year, but at least would probably wait until 7/31 for the deadline for someone like haniger.

Mancini may be the best player. You could probably get castellanos if you took on salary. You could probably get Winker if you paid $1.10 for him now.

One guy who maybe you could get since the DH faltered in the NL is Adam Duvall from the Marlins, but I unno. He would provide the power loss.

I haven’t looked into why he fell apart so badly last year but Pitt would probably shed a portion of Gregory Polanco’s deal for nothing. Owed $14 million this year if bought out at the end of the year.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I haven’t looked into why he fell apart so badly last year but Pitt would probably shed a portion of Gregory Polanco’s deal for nothing. Owed $14 million this year if bought out at the end of the year.

They probably would, otoh, they have a salary of like less than bryce harper this year, so they may be getting pressure. He's pretty bad now.

I would rather Duvall over Polanco. Now, there is a reason that Miami signed Duvall, so this is where it sucks. It would probably be bullpen.

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

I actually really like the idea of Williams and Vaughn holding it down until engel is ready. See how collins looks at DH and move pieces as you can. This is a better option than Puig or Cespedes right now, and i really dont think Ryan Braun has anything left. The only advantage of going out and getting a full time LF is having Engel as the super outfield sub and keeping Vaughn as DH, but i just dont see that happening in 5 days.

Not sure how you can really like Williams play LF most days.  I suppose the potential silver lining here is that if Vaughn becomes a suitable LF, we've solved our DH issue.  Eloy just becomes the DH and Vaughn the LF for 2022, and can re-address when we see what the Jose situation looks like at the end of his deal in 2023.  I tend to think he's going nowhere (assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff next 2 years), which means this theoretically could solve our problem.

That being said, I truthfully have no idea how Vaughn will look in LF.  We don't need him to be good - but can he passable?  I guess we'll see.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Not sure how you can really like Williams play LF most days.  I suppose the potential silver lining here is that if Vaughn becomes a suitable LF, we've solved our DH issue.  Eloy just becomes the DH and Vaughn the LF for 2022, and can re-address when we see what the Jose situation looks like at the end of his deal in 2023.  I tend to think he's going nowhere (assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff next 2 years), which means this theoretically could solve our problem.

That being said, I truthfully have no idea how Vaughn will look in LF.  We don't need him to be good - but can he passable?  I guess we'll see.  

2 weeks of Williams is an issue? I don't see that. He has played well this spring and you can catch lightning in a bottle as well as having Vaughn peppered in if he shows any competency. Engel will be playing in this role if they do not trade or pick up a FA.