Colas is coming

Drake Is Our Leader

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Guess you got him beat...definitely have a better member name, although nothing so distinctive as his ban bet backdowns and for a longstanding  personal vendetta against Jose Abreu.

🤣

I'm much too cautious for any ban bets. Although I did have an unhealthy dislike of Chris Sale...

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Way too early 2023 White Sox lineup:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Vaughn, 1B
  4. Jimenez, DH
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Robert, CF
  7. Colas, LF*
  8. Cespedes, RF
  9. Madrigal, 2B

Need to draft a prep catcher to eventually replace Grandal and we are set!

Victor Torres fanclub!

Or Collins gets time, some day.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Way too early 2023 White Sox lineup:

1. Anderson, SS
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Vaughn, 1B
  4. Jimenez, DH
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Robert, CF
  7. Colas, LF*
  8. Cespedes, RF
  9. Madrigal, 2B

Need to draft a prep catcher to eventually replace Grandal and we are set!

Frightening Lineup. 

Listened to a Sox podcast with Collins. He talked about how he has changed over the years and how learning to be a polished catcher is a long process. He also discussed how he is more aggressive early in the count than he used to be but how he has the eye to still not swing at a ball.

it was an interesting listen for sure. I think he’s ready. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, runtheballdown said:

Listened to a Sox podcast with Collins. He talked about how he has changed over the years and how learning to be a polished catcher is a long process. He also discussed how he is more aggressive early in the count than he used to be but how he has the eye to still not swing at a ball.

I agree, he should be the backup catcher. He could not have done anything more in Arizona.

Steve Stone said on the Score two weeks ago he is an eventual starting catcher in this league, and he isn’t going to cost you much in terms of salary.

How the Sox manage their roster out of Spring will be more enlightening in terms of how things will work out with La Russa and his staff more so than what they do with LF before Engel returns.

Will they stick with the inferior veteran options they brought in (Lucroy, Hamilton, Turley) because they are guys “known” by the manager and staff, or will the go with the superior options (Collins, any OF on Earth, Ruiz) because there was an honest competition, and the better player is given an opportunity.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

I agree, he should be the backup catcher. He could not have done anything more in Arizona.

Steve Stone said on the Score two weeks ago he is an eventual starting catcher in this league, and he isn’t going to cost you much.

How the Sox manage their roster out of Spring will be more enlightening in terms of how things will work out with La Russa and his staff Ryan what they do with LF before Engel returns.

Will they stick with the inferior veteran options they brought in (Lucroy, Hamilton, Turley) because they are guys “known” by the manager and staff, or will the go with the superior options (Collins, any OF on Earth, Ruiz) because there was an honest competition, and the better player is given an opportunity.

With the Sox experimenting with Vaughn in LF, that's pretty telling that Collins will get a shot as the DH.

5 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

With the Sox experimenting with Vaughn in LF, that's pretty telling that Collins will get a shot as the DH.

That’s short term, I agree Collins is likely a lock to open the season with what happened. 

However, will he be sent down in favor of Lucroy, even if he continues to out play Lucroy?

Are they going to keep a Hamilton and Turley all year? I’d give La Russa a lot of credit if they go against their personal preference and bypass veterans they brought in, when it becomes clear there are better younger alternatives already here.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

That’s short term, I agree Collins is likely a lock to open the season with what happened. 

However, will he be sent down in favor of Lucroy, even if he continues to out play Lucroy?

Are they going to keep a Hamilton and Turley all year? I’d give La Russa a lot of credit if they go against their personal preference and bypass veterans they brought in, when it becomes clear there are better younger alternatives already here.

If Vaughn is passable in left and Collins hits, it won't be short term.

An Engel/Leury platoon in LF could potentially make us just as good as Eloy in LF or even a bit better IF they both play up to their career highs with the bat.  The D would be very much improved to say the least.

But without Eloy's bat, we really need someone to step up and be a cleanup type hitter.  I can only believe it has to be Moncada.  If Yoan has a big year with the bat, it will really help out the middle of the order and would allow something like a Engel/Leury platoon to exist comfortably at the bottom of the order without making the offense look like a liability.  The loss of power would still at least come with a serious uptick in speed, so that's one thing.

Edit: wrong thread

Edited by YourWhatHurts
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If we weren't so cheap we could have had him in the last signing period and he could have been in the minors this year and possibly up next year so we wouldn't have to pretend Eloy was an actual OFer any longer than this season.

So cheap? We didn't have any more room to sign him since it is a hard cap.

Edited by manbearpuig

1 hour ago, runtheballdown said:

Way back in 2016 I was down at spring training and he was working so hard after he got his two at bats, down in the pen at Camelback.  At that point I think it was just his 2nd year in pro ball and you could tell he was "put head down and work" mode.  I hope it pays off for him.  FWIW, I've never thought he looked that bad behind the plate.  He's certainly better than Narvaez.

Edited by chitownsportsfan